Windows 10: Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch

Discus and support Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am setting a virtual machine under Hyper-V. I have been setting up Hyper-V virtual machines but on a desktop computer and everything ran... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ouilus, Dec 18, 2020.

1. ouilus Win User

Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch

Hi,

I am setting a virtual machine under Hyper-V.

I have been setting up Hyper-V virtual machines but on a desktop computer and everything ran perfectly, network too.

It is my first time working on a hosted server.

The host is a Dell Poweredge C6100 server, Intel E5-2670 2.60 GHZ 16 Cores / 32 Threads with 96 Gb RAM and a 500Gb SSD running Windows Server 2016.

I created a Hyper-V virtual machine with 4Gb dedicated RAM and installed Windows 10 pro.

The issue is I can't configure internet access on the VM.

On the host, I had initially three connections :

- Ehernet and Ethernet 2, Intel I350 gigabit network connection

- Microsoft Network Adapter multiplexor

As for the two first connections, there is no IPV4 but for the multiplexor there are gateway, DNS, etc.

I am not too sure of how these work

My VM switch is connected to the Microsoft Network Adapter multiplexor and it created a vEthernet virtual switch on the host.

I tried leaving it DHCP and also tried to put some static IP but I can't get any connection on the VM.

I need help.

Thank you

:)

ouilus, Dec 18, 2020

2. Hyper-V Networking Win Server 2016 on HP DL360 gen 10

Hi,

I'm performing initial testing with Hyper-V on an Hp DL360 gen 10 server. The first ethernet port is in use by the main Win 2016 OS installed on the server. I'd like to use one of the 3 available ethernet ports to act as the network/internet connect for
    the Hyper-V Virtual Machine. It will sit on the same VLAN as the main server connection and the Ip address in Hyper-V will be a static IP address.

I've been walking through the Hyper V instructions to set up a virtual switch using the selected port, but havent' been successful in setting the network in the VM as desired. In Virtual switch manager, i created a new swtich and de-selected the option
    for "Allow management operating system to share the network adapter. However, I've been unable to get a network connection in the VM.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

kevinmmscommunity, Dec 18, 2020
  3. DZ10 Win User
    Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016

Hi,

I need a bit of help setting up a virtual environment, so I can try out Windows Server 2016. I'm quite new to Windows Server in general, but I'd like to get to know it better and start learning about its major features etc. I'd like to set up a virtual environment in Hyper-V but I could do with a bit of advice with setting it up please.

I'd like to test Windows Server 2016 out in Hyper-V along with having say a couple of VM's with Windows 10 Pro on so that they can connect to the Server so I can try out things like Active Directory, Group Policy etc.

What I was concerned about though is the Windows Server interfering with my home network. I would ideally like to have both Windows Server 2016 and the client VM's on their own virtual network in Hyper-V, away from my physical home network. So to summarize:

• All Virtual Machines to be in Hyper-V (Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 Pro clients)
    • The Server and Pro clients need to talk to each other and ideally have Internet access
    • I'd like to use Hyper-V rather than VirtualBox etc. Not that I dislike VirtualBox and the like, it's just that I'd like to get used to using and knowing the features of Hyper-V
    • Hyper-V is already installed on my physical Windows 10 Pro Desktop PC
    • This Windows 10 Pro Desktop PC is currently connected to my normal home network and has Internet access
    The main thing I am unsure of is the networking side. I'd like the Server and client VM's to not have full access to my home network, so they can't interfere with it. So is it possible for the VM's to talk to each other, have Internet access, but not be able to interfere or be seen by other physical machines on my home network?

I hope I've explained it correctly. I have had a look myself into this, I was thinking of maybe using an 'Internal' virtual switch in Hyper-V, which sounds like it may do the job of letting the VM's talk to each other and possibly getting Internet connection from the physical machine that Hyper-V is installed on. I'm not sure if this is the way to go though, so I thought I'd ask for some advice before setting it up in Hyper-V.

Thanks Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch :)

4. Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch

Hyper-V Server 2016 will it get updates

I have a question about my Hyper-V Server 2016, which is not a usual Windows Server 2016. This one: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2016

Will this version still get updates because 2019 is released? I can't find an article but I can remember that I have read something that said Hyper-V Server 2016 is not supported anymore. I have looked for it, but haven't found it....

Can anyone please confirm with an additional source?

Thanks!

Jean-Paul Werelds, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch

1. Windows server 2016 Hyper V internet connection switch - Similar Threads - server 2016 Hyper

2. How to switch physical NICs in Hyper-V server ??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch physical NICs in Hyper-V server ??: Hello,I'm running on a critical issue.We have an Hyper-V server with 2 NICs configured. One is for the management that is an Intel PCIe card like remote desktop to Hyper-V server, or PSRemoting etc... and another one to provide network to VMs the default Realtek from the...
  3. Hyper-V VM's have no internet connection with default switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V VM's have no internet connection with default switch: Hello,I frequently make VM's with hyper-v either to test things, or just for convenience's sake. usually with windows on them as well.But recently, any VM's I make or have previously made can't connect to the internet at all. I usually just use the "default switch", but that...
  4. Hyper-V Internet Connection

Hyper-V Internet Connection: I have created a virtual Android machine with Hyper-V in Windows 10. I am however unable to establish any internet connection to the Android machine. Can I somehow create some virtual cable connection between the host and the Android VM as I did before with VirtualBox and how...
  5. No internet connection in Hyper V with external switch after restart

No internet connection in Hyper V with external switch after restart: My external virtual switch for a Hyper V virtual machine stops working after every restart of the physical computer. But whenever I set it up, it works. I'vealready run chkdsk, sfc/scannow and the dism commands. And in thecontrol panel I activated the release for the VLan...
  6. Hyper-V and Windows Server 2012 R2/ and 2016

Hyper-V and Windows Server 2012 R2/ and 2016: Have this weird problem recently. Can't access some sites in Windows Server 2012R2 and Server 2016 VM, on Hyper-V, via the Default Switch(NAT). And the sites it can access, like google.com and facebook.com , are taking time to load. This issue is only with these two...
  7. HYPER-V Server 2016 - cant connect to server from Windows 10 remote

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V Server 2016 - cant connect to server from Windows 10 remote: funny thing is I can create the VM now on the HYPER-V server but PING still fails !!!! Not really funny. Ping response is disabled by default on firewall of all server SKUs and that is a fairly sensible thing to do if you think about it. You can enable it with netsh...
  8. Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016

Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016: Hi there @ I can't answer your specific questions on HYPER-V but I know all about "Breaking Netflix" - even the Dog starts barking madly. !!!! I don't think there's any major problem to having a server on a home LAN (I have 2 Linux servers on a LAN plus a whole slew of...
  9. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  10. Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch

Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch: After adding Hyper-V to Windows 10 Pro, Windows now accesses the internet with the virtual switch I created for Hyper-V instead of my Ethernet connection. Why isn't Windows 10 using my Ethernet connection? 83247