Windows 10: Windows Server detects unformatted DVD media but doesn't mount drive

Discus and support Windows Server detects unformatted DVD media but doesn't mount drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; File Explorer (Devices and Drives) and Disk Management both detect unformatted DVD media is inserted but doesn't mount the drive. I am able to eject... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pepperfly, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Pepperfly Win User

Windows Server detects unformatted DVD media but doesn't mount drive

File Explorer (Devices and Drives) and Disk Management both detect unformatted DVD media is inserted but doesn't mount the drive. I am able to eject the drive tray in devices and drives and Disk Management by right clicking on the drive and selecting the eject function. I also tried changing the drive letter; no resolve. Obviously the BIOS and the OS recognizes the drive, and I'll reiterate that the OS does detect DVD media is inserted, just will not mount the drive or allow me to format the disc. Disk Manager only offers UDP 2.x file format option, no NTFS. The drive will mount fine if a formatted disc is inserted. I formatted a blank DVD-RW on a different system and now the system exhibiting the issue will read the (any) formatted disc fine and allow me to copy files to the disc, but still will not mount any unformatted disc. I checked to ensure Shell Hardware Detectionservice was set to automatic and running. It was, and I restarted the service anyway; no resolve. I shutdown and cold started the system; no resolve. Right now my work-around is to format new discs on another system in order to use it on the system exhibiting the issue.

I've seen other posts related to this for Windows 7 and 10. Interestingly, no one has reported their issues to be resolved, only worked around, typically by replacing the internal drive or using an external DVD drive, which I do not have the luxury of trying (it's company equipment with a strict hardware configuration and very locked down OS config; company wouldn't even like it if I was tinkering with services (shhhhh!)). Despite my restrictions, I'm still willing to try any potential OS/hardware config tweak.

:)

Pepperfly, Mar 6, 2019
  2. Sher Amo Win User

mounting CD/DVDs in windows 10 not acting ike normal CD/DVD drive

Hi Jason,

To help us understand your concern about mounting CD or DVD in Windows 10, we'd like to know the following:

• The application that you are using when mounting an ISO file.
    • The error message that you are getting when mounting an ISO file.
    Meanwhile, you can follow these steps to enable your AutoPlay settings:

• On your Windows 10 Search, type the word Devices, then press Enter.
    • Select AutoPlay.
    • Check the settings if it is On. If not, turn on the option that says
      Use AutoPlay for all media and devices.
    • Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
    We look forward to your response.

Sher Amo, Mar 6, 2019
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Windows Media Player can"t detect a disc

Hi
    Ginamontenegro

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below questions:

• What is the format of the Disk?
    • Do you receive any error message when you insert the disk?
    • Have you checked if the disk is working in any other PC?

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Starting the service.

1. Press Windows and
      R key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type Services.msc and hit enter.
    3. Search for “Shell Hardware Detection".
    4. Right click on the service, select Properties > Change Startup type to Automatic.
    5. Click on Start to start the service > Click on Apply and Ok.

Method 2: Run the Inbuilt troubleshooter.

1. Click on the Settings icon from the start menu.
    2. Click on Updates and Security> Click on Troubleshoot from the left panel of the window.
    3. Click on Hardware and Devices > Click on Run the troubleshooter.
    4. Follow the on screen instructions and check if it fixes the issue.

If you are able to view other discs except one, then the issue could be with the disc that you are trying to access. There could also be a possibility that the format of the media is not supported by Windows
    Media Player. However, to check if the CD\DVD drive is working fine, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Your CD or DVD drive
    is not recognized by Windows or other programs.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Mar 6, 2019
  4. Windows Server detects unformatted DVD media but doesn't mount drive

Optical Drive (CD/DVD) not detected by Windows 10

I know this has been asked in the community many times already by others, and i have tried all of those fixes. Nothing works for me. My laptop is a new Lenovo e560. The cd/dvd drive is detected in the BIOS - can even boot with another bootable DVD.

Steps already tried:

• LowerFilters & UpperFilters strings removed from under registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and rebooted the laptop.

• Added Controller0 key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\ and added a DWORD
      EnumDevice1 with value 1, and rebooted the laptop.

• In Device Manager, clicked View->Show Hidden Objects, expanded the
      DVD/CDROM Devices and uninstalled my DVD drive from the list. It never got detected or installed after a reboot - it's gone now, cannot see it anymore.

• In Device Manager, expanded IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. But the only thing here is
      Intel 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI controller. There is nothing else there - no ATA Channel 0 or ATA Channel 1 (things that have been suggested to be deleted on other posts regarding this issue). So I uninstalled
      the SATA AHCI controller and rebooted. It just reinstalled it automatically. But no CD/DVD drive yet.

• In Device Manager, scanned for new hardware.

• And yes, I already ran the Hardware Troubleshooter.

I've gotten these above steps from the following posts:

Those helped a lot of people (try those first if you are having the same issue). But as you can guess none of those steps helped me, hence creation of this post.

TousifSaleh, Mar 6, 2019
Thema:

Windows Server detects unformatted DVD media but doesn't mount drive

1. Windows Server detects unformatted DVD media but doesn't mount drive - Similar Threads - Server detects unformatted

2. Dvd drive not detected in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dvd drive not detected in windows 10: Windows 10 does not detect my dvd driveThe windows xp hdd still does detects it, even with no cd insertedAre there any ways to make the dvd drive show upNo, its also not showing up in device propertiesDESKTOP: hp compaq 6200 pro microtower...
  3. Dvd drive not detected in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dvd drive not detected in windows 10: Windows 10 does not detect my dvd driveThe windows xp hdd still does detects it, even with no cd insertedAre there any ways to make the dvd drive show upNo, its also not showing up in device propertiesDESKTOP: hp compaq 6200 pro microtower...
  4. Dvd drive not detected in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. hard drive doesn't mount on one computer

hard drive doesn't mount on one computer: Hi, please tell me how to mount my hard drive that is working perfectly fine on all computers except for one. If I click safely remove hard drive there is an option to eject. If I open disk management I can a bunch of partitions that I assume is my hard drive. The computer...
  6. DVD drive intermittently detected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DVD drive intermittently detected: Ever since updating windows 10 to version 1809 the DVD drive was not being detected at all. After following all the sugestions from help forums the drive (sata) is now detected but intermittently. Each time the computer is switched on it is hit & miss whether the drive will...
  7. Windows Media Player and DVD drive

Windows Media Player and DVD drive: Hi, I have a problem burning CD's in Windows Media Player, MP3 files. Not only is this an issue, but my BRAND NEW laptop refuses to read a blank disk. I have to open the device manager and open the DVD/CD rom drives to enable the DVD rom to read a disk.... Kind Regards...
  8. DVD RW Drive not detecting inserted DVD

DVD RW Drive not detecting inserted DVD: This is going to be a long story:- My Lenovo G50-80 laptop's DVD drive started behaving funny all of a sudden. It would have trouble recognizing inserted DVD drive, some disks it could read easily, some it wont even recognize inserted. I tried spinning the disk then...
  9. Mount DVD ISO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mount DVD ISO: Hey guys, I have a copy of Battle for Middle Earth and I want to be able to play it without the disc since I have no optical drive. Currently I use an external optical drive every time I want to play but it's becoming quite a hassle. I've searched for a long time trying to...
  10. CD/DVD Drives Not Detected

CD/DVD Drives Not Detected: I've had this same issue on 3 computers I've upgraded to Windows 10 (which are the only three I've even needed to have a working disc drive on). Windows 10 will not show the disc drives anywhere. I've checked in the Device Manager and everywhere else I can look, but they...