Windows 10: Windows Service Auditor: audit and track services on Windows

Discus and support Windows Service Auditor: audit and track services on Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows Service Auditor is a free portable program for Microsoft Windows devices to track and audit services on the machine it is run on. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 3, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows Service Auditor: audit and track services on Windows

Windows Service Auditor is a free portable program for Microsoft Windows devices to track and audit services on the machine it is run on.

The application offers assistance to system administrators who need to figure out why services started, stopped, or were updated or deleted on Windows devices. It can also be used to check system events, e.g. to analyze other events associated with specific services on the system; this makes it a good tool to check for errors in the logs without having to use the Windows Event Viewer or other event log tools.

Windows Service Auditor: audit and track services on Windows windows-service-auditor.png

The list of services is loaded when you run the program. Services are listed in alphabetical order and information such as the name and description, current status (running, stopped) are provided.

A service's events are displayed in the lower half of the interface when you select a service. It may take a second to load the events.

Events are listed with information that includes type, time, source, ID, user, and description. There is no option to sort the data differently, e.g. by user.

Double-click on an event to display the information in a popup window; you may copy the data to the Clipboard with a click on the copy link in the interface.

Windows Service Auditor: audit and track services on Windows windows-event.png

To make better use of the program, it is necessary to enable advanced security audit policies on the device. Check Services > Enable Auditing in Windows Service Auditor. If the policies are not enabled yet on the device, you get an informational screen that explains what needs to be done.

Windows administrators may check out Microsoft's Docs website for additional information on advanced security audit policies (including how to enable them).

Windows will capture additional information when the policies are enabled; this includes usernames for more events, operations that caused the event, and the duration.

Users can start and stop services using Windows Service Auditor. Other options include exporting data to CSV files, and to launch system tools such as the Event Viewer, Services Manager, or Task Manager from within the application.

Closing Words

Windows Service Auditor is a specialized program for Windows. It may be of interest to system administrators who need to analyze certain services on the system for errors or issues (caused by users or otherwise), but may also be useful to home users who need to analyze the behavior of services, e.g. why it is there or stopping.

Now You: How do you manage services on Windows?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows Service Auditor: audit and track services on Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 3, 2020

2. Securing Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 services HOW TO

I will try changing their settings sometime, the one thing I've noticed about this guide is that it doesn't list the Windows services that NEED to be left as local system, so some people might not be too sure what they're doing and worry about any that aren't listed. Just a suggestion that you might want to include in any future revisions. *Smile Windows Service Auditor: audit and track services on Windows :)

The non-default ones I have that you have not listed are:

.Net Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86
    Ati HotKey Poller
    ATI Smart
    AVG E-mail Scanner
    AVG7 Alert Manager Server
    AVG7 Update Service
    BlueSoleil Hid Service
    Bluetooth Support Service
    ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard
    iPod Service
    Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service
    Service Layer
    Windows Defender Service

The problem is that the only ones of these I actually use are The AVG and Windows Defender services and occasionally the "Service Layer" service (related to Nokia PC Suite) and the "Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service" (related to WindowsLive Messenger). Anyway, I'll see how much I can secure those and post back how I get on. I'll try to test it sometime this week just I'm a bit waring of changing the AVG settings because the only way to test if it was still working would be for a virus to be detected... and I' rather I didn't get viruses!

Jimmy 2004, May 3, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 3, 2020
  4. Windows Service Auditor: audit and track services on Windows

Windows 7 services

Still just do it manually-if at all-with Black Viper's recommendations.

Like him, I'm old school. *Stick Out Tongue Windows Service Auditor: audit and track services on Windows :p

Wrigleyvillain, May 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows Service Auditor: audit and track services on Windows

1. Windows Service Auditor: audit and track services on Windows - Similar Threads - Service Auditor audit

2. Event 4673, Micorsoft Windows Security Auditing, A privileged service was called.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event 4673, Micorsoft Windows Security Auditing, A privileged service was called.: Hi Everyone, I'm getting this event in millions everyday on my machine. The event occurs in almost every second and its not only related to Google Chrome, it is related to Teams, edge etc.. Can you please advise us if this is a critical issue, and how can we solve it....
  3. Event 4673, Micorsoft Windows Security Auditing, A privileged service was called.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event 4673, Micorsoft Windows Security Auditing, A privileged service was called.: Hi Everyone, I'm getting this event in millions everyday on my machine. The event occurs in almost every second and its not only related to Google Chrome, it is related to Teams, edge etc.. Can you please advise us if this is a critical issue, and how can we solve it....
  4. Event 4673, Micorsoft Windows Security Auditing, A privileged service was called.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. The benefit of internal audit services in any business with Qmii

The benefit of internal audit services in any business with Qmii: Audit services play a critical role in any business by providing an independent and objective assessment of the company's financial statements and operations. This helps management to make informed decisions about where to allocate resources and how to improve efficiency and...
  6. Event logs Audit Failure tracking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event logs Audit Failure tracking: Hi guys,Today when i was inspecting security event logs at active directory server i realised we are recieving constant password brute force attacks from different user accounts.Usernames were seeming to be coming from a rainbow table as; Jessie, Jaxon, Clare...so onSource...
  7. Event logs Audit Failure tracking

Event logs Audit Failure tracking: Hi guys,Today when i was inspecting security event logs at active directory server i realised we are recieving constant password brute force attacks from different user accounts.Usernames were seeming to be coming from a rainbow table as; Jessie, Jaxon, Clare...so onSource...
  8. Windows Service will not execute fails Security Audit

Windows Service will not execute fails Security Audit: Hello I have a Visual Studio 2017 C# .Net Windows Service project that includes a Project installer. The service installs and executes fine in a Windows 7 OS but will not execute when installed on a Windows 10 OS. When trying to start the service on a Windows 10 OS the Event...
  9. Diagnostic Tracking Service & dmwappushsvc

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Diagnostic Tracking Service & dmwappushsvc: Hi everyone *Smile Is it safe to set the Diagnostic Tracking Service and dmwappushsvc to Disable or Manual? If so which of the two setting is better? Regards. 25861
  10. Service to track of a computer is asleep/awake

in Windows 10 Support
    Service to track of a computer is asleep/awake: I've set up a desktop as a media server running Plex. When I access it using RDC, it pops up really fast and I'm not sold the thing is going to sleep properly even though I've checked to make certain powercfg -request is coming up clear. There are services to track when...