Windows 10: windows services greyed out

Discus and support windows services greyed out in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi there, I'm having this problem in windows services, windows update service is greyed out and I can't change from automatic to manual, and windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ProManicx, Aug 10, 2017.

1. ProManicx Win User

windows services greyed out

hi there, I'm having this problem in windows services, windows update service is greyed out and I can't change from automatic to manual, and windows Installer have the same problem. I want to be able to change to manual, I have try with admin account still nothing. Any help pls? btw I have try through cmd, denied cod:5 .

windows services greyed out [​IMG]

:)

ProManicx, Aug 10, 2017
  2. JagiTu Win User

Location services is greyed out

Location services is greyed out , so I cannot change this to on.

JagiTu, Aug 10, 2017
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Location services is greyed out

To properly get answers to your post you should include some minimum information.

1. Device type. ie PC, Laptop, Tablet, Surface.

2. Who made it and model.

3. OS type, Home, Pro, Enterprise, etc

4. Current build. Go Settings, System. About. OS build XXXXXX.XXXX

5. For Insiders also include the rs4_release or the rs_prerelease.

6. Where is this happening on the computer, Boot, Screen, App, etc

7. What error are you getting if any?

lacrumb, Aug 10, 2017
  4. wyldman68 Win User

Are you logged in with a admin account for that computer? Also, if you are using Windows 10 Home, I don't think you can change that setting.

wyldman68, Aug 11, 2017
  5. You can change startup via registry, either manually or via CMD as admin. 2 - auto / 3 - manual / 4 - disabled.

Code: reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f[/quote] Windows Installer is greyed out, because it is an essential service used by installers, not just by Windows.

TairikuOkami, Aug 11, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Thanks, that makes sense. I just checked mine and it was greyed out too. I also checked my Windows Update service. Unlike the OP, mine is not greyed out. It's also set to Manual (again, unlike the OP). I don't recall ever changing it myself, so I assume that's the default. Windows 10 Home, v1703, build 15063.540, signed in with an admin account.

7. Same, might be dozens of reasons, for one AV protecting the service, so malware would not block updates.

Changing WU service to anything usually does not matter, it starts even when disabled.

Disabling a service, which it is silently dependant on, does help though, like BITS.

Fall CU has already made some changes, like locking a few services.

TairikuOkami, Aug 11, 2017
  8. ProManicx Win User

Its an admin account on windows 10 pro.

ProManicx, Aug 11, 2017
  9. ProManicx Win User
    Strange thing is i never saw a windows update service greyed out on Win pro version....

ProManicx, Aug 11, 2017
  10. pepanee Win User
    Mine is also grayed out (refer to the picture)

What I'm saying isn't something that I'm 100% sure about, but should be pretty accurate; you can go online and do more research on it:
    The service states: "Adds, modifies, and removes applications provided as a Windows Installer (*.msi, *.msp) package."
    There are many applications, that you could install, that may have an msi extension. So if you disable this service, the msi installer files will not install. In the past I've seen some Windows Update files that have msi as their extension (instead of exe). So I'm assuming that this is a very essential service that Microsoft doesn't want you to disable, because if you manage to disable it, some apps that you try to install will probably not install, and the same with some Windows Updates (they may not install). Hence it is highly recommended to keep this service running.

Windows Update service: Very recommended that Microsoft doesn't want you to disable. Because if hackers hack Windows, Microsoft would release updates to avoid hackers from getting in your computer. So Windows Update is VERY recommended to be enabled all the time.

*Edit*: My Windows Update service seems like it could be disabled, that's strange. I thought it was always enabled. I don't know why yours is different. But it's nothing to worry about. Your computer is safe because it's enabled.

pepanee, Aug 11, 2017
  11. ProManicx Win User
    I agreed with you 100%, I don´t wanna disable, because I'm aware of the consequence it may cause, like been hacking. Its only odd for me win update is like that, i'm not sure if is something bad but as you were saying, at least I'm safe.

ProManicx, Aug 11, 2017
  12. pepanee Win User
    Yes you should be okay.

As long as the window says: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

then you should be safe. Yours says the same exact thing as mine. And I wouldn't worry about why yours doesn't let you disable it. There's many settings in Windows that are different for some people, for unknown reasons. Microsoft just wants to do it that way or something. Also, yours is in a different language, so this maybe has something to do with your country. Maybe your country politics has asked Microsoft to make that setting for your version of Windows unchangeable.

But if I were you, I feel safe, because the two window services you posted have settings that look exactly like mine, and I'm sure like everyone else too. So you're good.

pepanee, Aug 11, 2017
  13. ProManicx Win User

Its Portugal, and we don´t have any kind of restriction, I just tested on Vm and Win Update is not greyed out, but still, its a first time I see this on my machine, It maybe something I did. But I don't remember to change anything. If its ok I guess we can call this as solved.

ProManicx, Aug 11, 2017
  14. pepanee Win User
    Cool.

Yea, it's also possible that you may have accidentally did something that made it like that, like you said. But yes, those two pictures look good *Thumbs

pepanee, Aug 11, 2017
  15. ProManicx Win User
    Alright, thanks all for the help and your opinions, much appreciated.

Have all a good weekend.

ProManicx, Aug 11, 2017
Thema:

1. windows services greyed out - Similar Threads - services greyed

2. Windows 10 - windows security service not running and real time protection off and greyed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - windows security service not running and real time protection off and greyed...: Hello,I fell foul of a program that was actually a package of viruses. I've since run eset nod32 online scanner which found over 40 threats, mainly trojans, and it's deleted them. But my PC has problems now.Windows Security service isn't running and the options to start,...
  3. Windows 10 - windows security service not running and real time protection off and greyed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - windows security service not running and real time protection off and greyed...: Hello,I fell foul of a program that was actually a package of viruses. I've since run eset nod32 online scanner which found over 40 threats, mainly trojans, and it's deleted them. But my PC has problems now.Windows Security service isn't running and the options to start,...
  4. Windows 10 - windows security service not running and real time protection off and greyed...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. "Log on as" option greyed out in software protection in services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Log on as" option greyed out in software protection in services: I've been having trouble with software protection not launching and as a result windows 11 has been deactivated on my device. When attempting to launch software protection I get the message "Windows could not start the Software Protection service on Local Computer. Error...
  6. "Log on as" option greyed out in software protection in services

"Log on as" option greyed out in software protection in services: I've been having trouble with software protection not launching and as a result windows 11 has been deactivated on my device. When attempting to launch software protection I get the message "Windows could not start the Software Protection service on Local Computer. Error...
  7. When entering password I get the following on a grey screen “The user profile service...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When entering password I get the following on a grey screen “The user profile service...: When I enter my password the following appears on a grey screen The user profile service failed the sign onUser profile cannot be loaded https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-entering-password-i-get-the-following-on-a/4d59353b-85b6-4cee-acc5-003862a28b5f
  8. When entering password I get the following on a grey screen “The user profile service...

When entering password I get the following on a grey screen “The user profile service...: When I enter my password the following appears on a grey screen The user profile service failed the sign onUser profile cannot be loaded https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-entering-password-i-get-the-following-on-a/4d59353b-85b6-4cee-acc5-003862a28b5f
  9. How can we set the Windows Security Service to Automatic startup when this option is greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can we set the Windows Security Service to Automatic startup when this option is greyed out: In the above screenshot this service is set to manual automatically and I want to change it to Automatic startup but it is greyed out. Due to this my Windows Security is taking so long to open , according to me. Please help...
  10. How can we set the Windows Security Service to Automatic startup when this option is greyed out

How can we set the Windows Security Service to Automatic startup when this option is greyed out: In the above screenshot this service is set to manual automatically and I want to change it to Automatic startup but it is greyed out. Due to this my Windows Security is taking so long to open , according to me. Please help...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. :\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe /V greyed out

2. windows services greyed out