Windows 10: Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use

Discus and support Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a very weird situation here. When I press "Start" then "settings" the "Windows Settings" page opens however it simply doesn't work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by homerlovesbeer, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use

Hi all,

I have a very weird situation here. When I press "Start" then "settings" the "Windows Settings" page opens however it simply doesn't work properly.

If I open the "System" icon the screen does nothing for a second or 2 then closes. If I open any other icon such as "Updates & Security", "Personalisation", "Accounts", "Apps" or any other icon the section opens but the info is missing and not displayed. For example when I open "Updates & Security" it simply says "Windows Update" with no text and 2 small grey bars. In all of the "Windows Settings" sections it appears the same - missing text and grey drop down boxes that do not do anything.

Things I've tried to resolve this issue;

1. downloading and running the Windows Update Troubleshooter
    2. Run a system file checker - sfc /scannow
    3. Re-register Windows Apps Using PowerShell "Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}" (I got a few red fails during this process).
    4. run a DISM scan "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I do not know what to do. Help very much appreciated!

Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Homer

:)

homerlovesbeer, Sep 9, 2019

2. settings window not working properly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing.
    I will certainly help you with this.
    I suggest you to perform the below given steps and check if it helps:

Method 1: This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly
    follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    Method 2: If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Nachappa C K, Sep 9, 2019
  3. Windows 10 settings icon will not work properly.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing.
    I will certainly help you with this.
    I suggest you to perform the below given steps and check if it helps:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Sep 9, 2019
  4. Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use

Windows display

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to customize the display:

• In the search box type settings.
    • Click on system option.
    • Then click on display option and then you can change it.
    • For more settings for display you can go for advance settings option.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use

1. Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use - Similar Threads - settings displaying properly

2. Windows Settings -- System -- Display crashes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Settings -- System -- Display crashes: Problem in Subject line above. Windows Settings opens OK and all other selections work except for System -- Display. When I click on that item, Settings crashes. Display is the first item on the System list, so when it tries to open it, down it goes. If I right-click on...
  3. text not displaying properly

text not displaying properly: I must have hit something and now can't figure out what I did to make the presentation of text look different that it did. All text looks broken and is difficult to read. Help! I'm a undergraduate student and need to get this fixed!...
  4. System settings closes when the 'system' option is selected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System settings closes when the 'system' option is selected: I have just updated to windows 10 update 1903 and when when I select select 'Settings' from the Start menu and then select 'System', the System menu shows for a second and then Settings closes/crashes with no error message. This only seems to happen when 'System' is selected...
  5. System settings instantly closes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System settings instantly closes: After recent update i cant open settings from start menu and notifications area - settings instantly close. Buttons in Notifications inactive and after closing panel, system throws this error. Event log: - <Event...
  6. Playback not displaying properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Playback not displaying properly: All videos only show part of the picture in playback. It seems to expand the picture beyond what can be displayed. I've looked for settings but can find nothing to adjust the size. Any help appreciated....
  7. System settings app,Display settings app, Microsoft store app close/crash on startup (desk.cpl)

System settings app,Display settings app, Microsoft store app close/crash on startup (desk.cpl): Hello, I'm having issues getting in any System setting window, making me unable to setup my monitors. After disabling error reporting briefly, I was able to get following error codes (picture added) The issue started on an older install, so in an attempt to fix it, I...
  8. Windows not displaying properly

Windows not displaying properly: So this is how my windows appear. Texts are missing everywhere! It's close to impossible doing even just simple tasks. It's actually a good thing to have the names of the folders on the left side of the screen in this photo since they also disappeared as I was copying the...
  9. Games closing or not opening properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games closing or not opening properly: I have several Bigfish games which I have installed on a new laptop running Windows 10. All games will close unexpectedly and repeatedly during game play, sometimes up to 4 times within 20 seconds. The icon returns to the task bar and when I click on it again it states the...
  10. Can't set proper resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can't set proper resolution: Guys, i would really appreciate your help Im a newbie with windows and i have recently purchased a windows 10 connect tablet. When i got into the display settings all my resolution options are greyed out and i can't change anything. I connected the tablet to my hdtv...