Windows 10: Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use

Discus and support Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a very weird situation here. When I press "Start" then "settings" the "Windows Settings" page opens however it simply doesn't work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by homerlovesbeer, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use

Hi all,

I have a very weird situation here. When I press "Start" then "settings" the "Windows Settings" page opens however it simply doesn't work properly.

If I open the "System" icon the screen does nothing for a second or 2 then closes. If I open any other icon such as "Updates & Security", "Personalisation", "Accounts", "Apps" or any other icon the section opens but the info is missing and not displayed. For example when I open "Updates & Security" it simply says "Windows Update" with no text and 2 small grey bars. In all of the "Windows Settings" sections it appears the same - missing text and grey drop down boxes that do not do anything.

Things I've tried to resolve this issue;

1. downloading and running the Windows Update Troubleshooter
    2. Run a system file checker - sfc /scannow
    3. Re-register Windows Apps Using PowerShell "Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}" (I got a few red fails during this process).
    4. run a DISM scan "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I do not know what to do. Help very much appreciated!

Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Homer

:)

homerlovesbeer, Sep 9, 2019

2. settings window not working properly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing.
    I will certainly help you with this.
    I suggest you to perform the below given steps and check if it helps:

Method 1: This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly
    follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    Method 2: If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Nachappa C K, Sep 9, 2019
  3. Windows 10 settings icon will not work properly.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing.
    I will certainly help you with this.
    I suggest you to perform the below given steps and check if it helps:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Sep 9, 2019
  4. Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use

Windows display

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to customize the display:

• In the search box type settings.
    • Click on system option.
    • Then click on display option and then you can change it.
    • For more settings for display you can go for advance settings option.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use

1. Windows "settings" not displaying properly. Close on System. Can't use - Similar Threads - settings displaying properly

2. Close All Apps on Set Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Close All Apps on Set Display: I am trying to find a way of closing all applications on a specific Display/Monitor when I press a key combo or something.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/close-all-apps-on-set-display/04829c69-e55b-4519-8490-283cb6b68bed
  3. Close All Apps on Set Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Close All Apps on Set Display: I am trying to find a way of closing all applications on a specific Display/Monitor when I press a key combo or something.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/close-all-apps-on-set-display/04829c69-e55b-4519-8490-283cb6b68bed
  4. Display Settings open and close Immediately

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Settings open and close Immediately: If I try to open the Display Settings through the Desktop, The Settings App, ... every time it tries to open them but after some loading the window closes....
  5. Display Settings open and close Immediately

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display Settings open and close Immediately: If I try to open the Display Settings through the Desktop, The Settings App, ... every time it tries to open them but after some loading the window closes....
  6. Display Settings open and close Immediately

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows System Setting menus do not display properly

Windows System Setting menus do not display properly: After the most recent update none of the setting menus display any options properly and none of the dropdown menus show or can be used. I am not tech savvy enough to explain further nor have i changed or installed anything new other than the newest updates from the windows...
  8. Can't open either Display Settings or System Settings in Windows10

Can't open either Display Settings or System Settings in Windows10: I can't open the Display settings or System Settings on my laptop. Upon clicking in the button, the program seems to open but it suddenly quits. Fixes I already tried: - Reset the Setting App - Uninstall all monitor, graphic devices and reinstalled new drivers - Create...
  9. System settings instantly closes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System settings instantly closes: After recent update i cant open settings from start menu and notifications area - settings instantly close. Buttons in Notifications inactive and after closing panel, system throws this error. Event log: - <Event...
  10. Can't set proper resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can't set proper resolution: Guys, i would really appreciate your help Im a newbie with windows and i have recently purchased a windows 10 connect tablet. When i got into the display settings all my resolution options are greyed out and i can't change anything. I connected the tablet to my hdtv...