Windows 10: Windows settings shows blue screen with settings icon and then crashes

Discus and support Windows settings shows blue screen with settings icon and then crashes in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows Version 2004 OS Build 19041.421 I was trying to change some Personalization settings by right clicking the desktop and then clicking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SpencerSmith6, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Windows settings shows blue screen with settings icon and then crashes

Windows Version 2004 OS Build 19041.421

I was trying to change some Personalization settings by right clicking the desktop and then clicking Personalize. When I do this a blue window opens with the settings icon in the middle which is generally what happens. However, a second or two later the window closes and a message pops up with the title ms-settingsWindows settings shows blue screen with settings icon and then crashes :personalization-backgroundthat says This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page. After this I tried to just open settings and the same thing happened but there was no popup.

After this I tried researching this problem and I have found similar issues from 2018 but none of the solutions work. I have tried using a different user, I have tried enabling the Administrator account and using that, I have tried reinstalling the Display Adapter drivers, I have tried using the command sfc /scannow in an administrator command prompt, I have tried using dism, I have tried

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = Get-AppxPackage *immersivecontrolpanel*.InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

, I have tried downloading and using a troubleshooter Appsdiagnostic10.diagcab, and many other small things. Running ms-settings also doesn't work. Nothing has fixed the problem for me. I can't even revert to a previous version of windows because I can't open settings.

I might just have to wait for a windows update and see if that fixes it... It would be a pain to backup all my files and programs, completely re-install windows, and transfer my files and programs back. This is a very crippling problem because I use settings all the time and it would be very detrimental if I couldn't get it to work. Does anybody know a way to fix this?

:)

SpencerSmith6, Aug 8, 2020
  2. Law-II Win User

Crash/blue screen

Hi

I assume from the title of your post Crash/Blue Screen that the PC has crashed and produced a *BSOD=[Blue Screen Of Death] =Blue Screen; and that the PC recovered from this; if and when you see the Blue Screen write the Stop Code down; recover the PC or use one that is working to access the net and look up the Stop Code.

nb: You may be able to view this with a [*BlueScreenView] application, google for this.

Edit Link - Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.

Description
    ===========

BlueScreenView scans all your minidump files created during 'blue screen
    of death' crashes, and displays the information about all crashes in one
    table. For each crash, BlueScreenView displays the minidump filename, the
    date/time of the crash, the basic crash information displayed in the blue
    screen (Bug Check Code and 4 parameters), and the details of the driver
    or module that possibly caused the crash (filename, product name, file
    description, and file version).
    For each crash displayed in the upper pane, you can view the details of
    the device drivers loaded during the crash in the lower pane.
    BlueScreenView also mark the drivers that their addresses found in the
    crash stack, so you can easily locate the suspected drivers that possibly
    caused the crash.

atb

Law-II

Law-II, Aug 8, 2020
  3. tehfusion Win User
    Realmware BF4 Settings Editor.

Realmware BF4 Settings Editor 0.91

We have just released a hotfix for the preview version of our BF4 Settings Editor. As said in the posts above, DICE silently released a patch for the Battlefield 4 Beta, which changed the location of the settings files, breaking BF4 Settings Editor in the process. This hotfix resolves the issue, while also including a few other fixes and improvements. Be sure to update to the latest version!

Here is the full list of changes for this version.

Features:

• DICE silently released a patch which changed the location of the Battlefield 4 Beta settings files. BF4 Settings Editor now looks for the settings in the new location.
    • Fixed a bug where changing the system tray icon options would not properly update the icon's visibility.
    Fixes:

• DICE silently released a patch which changed the location of the Battlefield 4 Beta settings files. BF4 Settings Editor now looks for the settings in the new location.
    • Fixed a bug where changing the system tray icon options would not properly update the icon's visibility.
    Improvements:

• Added a tooltip to the system tray icon.
    • Improved the tooltip for the horizontal field of view setting.
    • Improved the tooltip for the stereo mode setting.

tehfusion, Aug 8, 2020
  4. Dann Win User

Windows settings shows blue screen with settings icon and then crashes

Windows 7 Blue Screen of Death!

This is the first time i have ever got the blue screen, but it keeps on occurring, and so i cannot get onto that hard drive, it shuts down within a second of the blue screen showing itself, which doesnt give me any time to read it lol. So i am completely confused as there is no Path of: "C:\WINDOWS\Minidump" as well

Thanks for the help, do you have any further suggestions ?

Dann, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

Windows settings shows blue screen with settings icon and then crashes

1. Windows settings shows blue screen with settings icon and then crashes - Similar Threads - settings shows blue

2. Windows 11 PC Settings stuck on white screen with Settings Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 PC Settings stuck on white screen with Settings Icon: When I open up PC settings on my machine the screen gets stuck like this: Screenshot OS Name: Microsoft Windows 11 Enterprise OS Version: 10.0.22621 N/A Build 22621 I have tried all different ways to open the settings. The control panel works but opening any settings there is...
  3. Windows 11 PC Settings stuck on white screen with Settings Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 PC Settings stuck on white screen with Settings Icon: When I open up PC settings on my machine the screen gets stuck like this: Screenshot OS Name: Microsoft Windows 11 Enterprise OS Version: 10.0.22621 N/A Build 22621 I have tried all different ways to open the settings. The control panel works but opening any settings there is...
  4. User settings screen crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User settings screen crashes: Hello,When I want to add a new user in Windows11 and go to Start/Settings/Accounts and click on Family and Other users to add a new user the screen crashes.I have used cmd before to add a new user but that way I can't review and/or change settings for that user.Is my...
  5. User settings screen crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User settings screen crashes: Hello,When I want to add a new user in Windows11 and go to Start/Settings/Accounts and click on Family and Other users to add a new user the screen crashes.I have used cmd before to add a new user but that way I can't review and/or change settings for that user.Is my...
  6. Settings icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings icon: Hello, how can I change the icon of the settings app and all of its shortcuts in explorer to that of windows 11? I can't get Windows 11 as I don't have a TPM so I want to make 10 look like 11. So, how can I change the icon of the settings app and all of its shortcuts in...
  7. Settings Icon

Settings Icon: Hi, so recently I changed my theme to the premium sloth theme that is offered for free by Microsoft. Apparently, the accent color for this theme was green, which changed everything like the icon backgrounds to green. [ATTACH] As shown in the picture, the icon still...
  8. Windows settings not showing information on main settings screen

Windows settings not showing information on main settings screen: PC : Windows 10 Pro 1909 build 18363.752 machine: MSI GE 73 8RE I was recently doing some maintenance on my moms machine, and i noticed that her settings screen is different than on mine. both PC's are the same make/model, and both are running Windows 10 Pro x64. hers was...
  9. my system(win10) is crashing and shows blue screen , and also setting app is not opening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my system(win10) is crashing and shows blue screen , and also setting app is not opening: Hello, After updating my win10 I started to face problem e.g. setting app is not opening, I thought it will be fixed in upcoming updates but it becomes worse now when I am operating on my system suddenly it shows me the blue screen and win crashing error. So after run cmd...
  10. I click on settings icon, the screen shows, and then disappears

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I click on settings icon, the screen shows, and then disappears: I click on settings icon, the screen shows, and then disappears. This happens with all task bar items like the network icon, the date/time icon and the notification icon. It also happens on sever start menu programs. I've seen this question asked here before but no solutions...