Windows 10: Windows Setup can't be installed on partition

Discus and support Windows Setup can't be installed on partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop that was delivered with a Window 10 operating system. At some time I removed Windows 10 and installed ubuntu 18.04... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ilmu011, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Ilmu011 Win User

Windows Setup can't be installed on partition

I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop that was delivered with a Window 10 operating system. At some time I removed Windows 10 and installed ubuntu 18.04 on it and now I want to install Windows again via an USB drive configured by the media creation tool.

However at the step where you have to select a partition, there is an error message stating i can't install Windows 10 because the partition must be of the NTFS type I suppose ubuntu uses FAT.

Windows Setup can't be installed on partition [​IMG]

I tried to use the solution from this post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/89350518-7f31-4769-8e49-89823abd1047

However I get stuck at step 4: Diskpart doesn't detect the volume that is displayed in the previous images; it only displays the 14GB USB drive and not the 238GB partition that is displayed in the images.

What should I do now?

:)

Ilmu011, Aug 10, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 10, 2020
  3. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

Background

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a boot sector technology poised to replace the venerable Master Boot Record (MBR) principally because MBR has a maximum capacity of 2 TB for a single partition (some single disks have reached 3 TB). Installing Windows on a GPT is a bit tricky because Windows wants to default back to MBR. In order to force Windows on to a GPT, we have to pre-format the drive prior to Windows installation. You can do that during Windows setup using the console.

Requirements

• Windows Vista or 7 (must be 64-bit no matter which OS is used)
    • A motherboard with EFI BIOS
    • A means to EFI boot the Windows setup (I had to use a USB DVD drive on MSI Z77A-G65, the internal SATA Bluray drives didn't have an EFI option)
    Instructions

• Boot into Windows setup using EFI. On the MSI Z77A-G65, it showed up as UEFI:USB-ATAPI DVD ... This will change according to your motherboard and how you are attempting to enter setup. This step is critical. Without booting into setup via EFI, only MBR is available to the setup. There's no easy way to tell from within setup if it is running via EFI or not.
    • Once you have booted into setup, continue through the process as you would normally until you reach the dialog which shows you the available drives. Load a driver, if necessary, then press SHIFT+F10 to open the command prompt.
    • In the command prompt, enter the following lines, pressing enter after each one. Note that the <id> field below is the disk ID that you want to format as GPT from the "list disk" command. If there's only one drive, <id> will likely be 1. Note: All data on the drive will be lost during this process. Make sure to select the correct drive.
      • diskpart
      • list disk
      • select disk <id>
      • online disk
      • attributes disk clear readonly
      • clean
      • convert gpt
      • create partition efi size=102
      • create partition msr size=32
      • create partition primary
      • format fs=ntfs label="Operating System"
      • assign letter=C
      • exit
      "online disk" and "attributes disk clear readonly" are likely to fail. Don't worry, they are only precautionary. Change the drive letter and label to whatever you want. Also, the above command (specifically "create partition primary") will consume all remaining space on the drive. If you want multiple partitions with fixed sizes, substitute what you want in place of "create partition primary."
    • You may now close the command prompt and click on "Refresh" back in the dialog to choose where to install Windows. You should now see at least 2 partitions (I think Microsoft Reserved is hidden) and it will only let you install on a non EFI/MSR partition. Click on the primary partition and proceed with the installation as normal.
    • Note that in the EFI BIOS after installing Windows via EFI, you can no longer directly boot the volume Windows is installed on. Instead, you must boot via "Windows Boot Manager" (on MSI Z77A-G65, it was "UEFI: Windows Boot Manager"). Keep that in mind if you wish to tweak the boot order.
    Conclusion

That should do it. You should be in Windows with >2 TB of hard drive capacity available if you had more than 2 TB on the Windows partition. Congratulations being on the bleeding edge of technology! *Rockout :rockout:

FordGT90Concept, Aug 10, 2020
  4. Windows Setup can't be installed on partition

Boot windows installation within a partition?

Damnit, I knew thats what you wanted with your first post! I deleted my post because JMCSLOB confused me lol.

Hm, if you Follow this guide (Replace words "flash driive" with 160GB hard drive) How to Create a Bootable Windows 7 or Vista USB Drive for both partitions and then to do a dummy install of windows 8 on the last part of the HDD it should give you the option to boot Windows 7/8 Installer or boot into windows 8.
    Edit: On step 4 you will want to make sure you size the partition correctly... or you can use the windows gui tool in control panel.

Once you get that far you can just delete windows 8 from the boot menu using MSCONFIG and delete the partition.

slyfox2151, Aug 10, 2020
Thema:

Windows Setup can't be installed on partition

1. Windows Setup can't be installed on partition - Similar Threads - Setup can't installed

2. Windows 10 Setup partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Setup partitions: Hey guys, I'm currently trying to install windows on my new SSD and I need to select where do I want Windows installed. I've got two partitions: 1. Drive 0 Partition 1 / 15.0 MB/ MSR (Reserved) and 2. Drive 0 Partition 2: SSD /223.6 GB / Primary. Should I delete the first...
  3. Installed W10 on a partition, which broke my Veracrypt setup

Installed W10 on a partition, which broke my Veracrypt setup: Hello. I decided to give Windows 10 a go today and Installed it on a new Partition of my 2nd SSD. I installed it via USB Stick and it went smoothly. I booted into W10 and it detected the other half of the 2nd SSD, but the main SSD, which is Veracrypted and runs W10 did not...
  4. I can't finish the installation setup

I can't finish the installation setup: After I tried to install windows 10 on my laptop and finished installing the setup, my laptop restarted and instead of sending me to the beginning where I need to connect to my microsoft account and configure everything where I can start using the windows, it sends me back to...
  5. Can't Partition Drive/Install Windows

Can't Partition Drive/Install Windows: My solid state drive gives me the error "can't create partition from unallocated space and cannot install windows" My regular hard drive says "The selected disc is of the GPT partition style" Also it takes like a solid hour every time I go to load the boot disc or thumb...
  6. Can't Install Windows 10 to a GPT Partition

Can't Install Windows 10 to a GPT Partition: I'm pulling my hair out here. PROBLEM: Can't install Windows 10 x64 from an OEM disk ... to a Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb SSD ... on a GPT partition. It installs instead on a MBR partition. SPECS: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Bios version: F4 SSD: Samsung...
  7. I can't install windows on to any partitions

I can't install windows on to any partitions: Guys can anyone solve the issue of mine ....? I can't install windows on to any partitions as it says it is readonly ...when i use diskpart it show the attributes readonly and current state readonly as "no" when I clear the attributes it returns an error cannot reset...
  8. Can't install. possible partition error

Can't install. possible partition error: I've come here to beg for some help from you lovely windows techies. My issue is that the CD that I bought wont install on the laptop i have (prev win 7 and ubuntu 14.4) The main details can be found here, if you would be so kind, along with what attempts ive made to...
  9. Windows 10 UEFI install, partition setup

Windows 10 UEFI install, partition setup: I am trying to create an autounattend file to install Windows 10 as a UEFI install. I am encountering one problem when it comes to creating the partitions in the unattend file. Windows 10 creates 4 partitions, 3 of which (MSR, EFI and OS partitions) I have no trouble with as...
  10. partition setup

in Windows 10 Support
    partition setup: How to fix a mismatched partition??? Conflict with GPT and MBR on /dev/sda. 3662