Windows 10: windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers

Discus and support windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm running windows 10 fine under version 1703, build 15063.726, recently an update queued and I chose install and shutdown late in the evening. Next... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by edencorbin, Nov 17, 2017.

1. windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers

I'm running windows 10 fine under version 1703, build 15063.726, recently an update queued and I chose install and shutdown late in the evening. Next day on boot it was configuring the update, as this was taking some time I figured this was Microsoft Fall Creators Update, although I'm not sure of this. At 42% completion a separate popup window provided the following error and installation did not continue. Clicking okay reset the system and successfully restored my previous version (thankfully not asking me to update again immedietly).

error:

windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware

My hardware is relatively new, so the error is surprising, I have a 4810MQ Intel cpu, 16GB ram, an Nvidia 870. I did have a usb sculpt keyboard, usb corsair mouse, and analog headset plugged in, but I doubt those were the problem. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this. I'm not in a rush to get the update but I would like to eventually be on the latest version and not run into errors if it prompts me to update again.

Thank you in advance for any tips.*Smile

:)

edencorbin, Nov 17, 2017

2. Windows setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware

I ran SFC and DISM. They did not report any errors and completed properly. Then I ran the windows update and still received the same message at 42%.

Now what?

GeraldMayerhoff, Nov 17, 2017
  3. Windows setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware

I have attempted all suggestions and still have the same result. Still stopping at 42%. My current version is 15063. Where can I find that to attempt to rerun it so that maybe it will correct what I have currently?

GeraldMayerhoff, Nov 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers

Do you have any sort of unusual disk configuration e.g. RAID? (Ok, it's a laptop, but I've not checked its specs!)
    Dual or triple boot?

Research suggests:
    - the hard disk being a 4K sector size and not a 512 byte sector size.
    -
    error during Windows 7 or Windows 10 installation | Dell UK

Older sources (pre Win 10):

• In Notepad, click Open on the File menu, and then browse to %systemroot%\Panther.

Note On a standard installation to drive C, the path is C:\Windows\Panther. (On most PCs this will be the C:\Panther folder)
    • Open the file setuperr.log, and look for lines that resemble these:

2010-09-23 17:34:58, Error [0x0f0082] SYSPRP LaunchDll:Failure occurred while executing 'C:\Windows\System32\scecli.dll,SceSysPrep', returned error code 1208[gle=0x000003e5]
      2010-09-23 17:34:59, Error [0x060435] IBS Callback_Specialize: An error occurred while either deciding if we need to specialize or while specializing; dwRet = 0x4b8

Note If these lines and errors exist, note the errors.
    • Open the setupact.log file that is located in the same directory, and then look for the line that resembles the following line:

2010-09-23 17:31:26, Info SYSPRP SPPNP: iaStorV is the function driver for device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_2819103C&REV_02\3&33FD14CA&0&FA

Note If this line exists, it indicates that the drive on which you are trying to install Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 is configured in a RAID configuration.

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  5. Helpful and interesting but I'm not sure if it pinpoints the problem, using notepad+ as sysadmin I opened C:\Windows\Panther, this folder was empty but in a UnattendGC folder I found both the referenced files, setuperr.log is empty, setupact.log has many entries, though it looks like no errors and nothing referencing "driver". In fact every entry is basically [svchost.exe] Enter WinReIsWimBootEnabled [svchost.exe] Parameters: pszWinDir: NULL Exit WinReIsWimBootEnabled returns 0 with last error: 0x0. I have swapped my data drive from time to time for a bios level dual boot with Linux, but at the moment it is the original data only drive on D, with my os drive on C, and a pretty standard windows setup/configuration. Any further troubleshooting ideas? Any other log locations I could check for more details on what error occured?

edencorbin, Nov 17, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you've looked at the normal ones..

Here are some further notes on log files:
    Resolve Windows 10 upgrade errors - Windows IT Pro | Microsoft Docs

A list of some log files:
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther
    The panther logs are often hidden. Configure file explorer so that you can find the hidden files.
    Locate these logs and post share links in the forum:
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log
    Setupmem.dmp
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupmem.dmp
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback*.evtx
    setupapi.dev.log
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
    BlueBox.log

Trying to find out why it failed from the Windows update logs is not straightforward. Here are some guides.
    Generating the Log Files for Troubleshooting Windows Updates for Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from Windows IT Pro
    Windows 10, WindowsUpdate.log and how to view it with PowerShell or Tracefmt.exe Charles Allen’s Blog
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/read-w...-in-windows-10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...pdate-log-file

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Possibly more here- see yellow section:
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    and 'Here's how'

There are of course the usual things to do:
    chkdsk C: /F
    sfc /scannow
    check partitions and free space
    disable AV, clean boot
    disconnect extraneous peripherals esp. wireless (noting your comments)

All of that is definitely worth doing.

However I have a feeling it may be something specific in your case..

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  8. windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers

It tried to install again yesterday and had the same error. Not sure how I can continue to troubleshoot this issue.

edencorbin, Dec 18, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Assuming you've looked at the logs above, disconnected peripherals, disabled any AV, please post a screenshot of your partitions using Miintool Partition Wizard, expanding columns as necessary to show all text.

There's nothing you've said that is diagnostic, so I wonder if you've been able to find any logs.
    Have you run SFC /SCANNOW- did it pass?

You may prefer to download the iso so you only have to download it once. Creating a bootable disk from it also then gives you a potential repair tool.

You can also try doing a clean boot before upgrading.

You will need to allow, say, 20Gb spare disk space on C: + say 8Gb ideally; make sure you have at least 1.5Gb of unallocated disk space on your system disk.

dalchina, Dec 18, 2017
  10. Here is an image of my drives (below), I probably had 45GB available when I last tried to do the update, and can free that up again. It's interesting that D is listed as Primary, this is a data drive (Windows will run fine with it removed). Would removing this data drive during installation, possibly help? At this point I really do want the update, I had to turn off automatic updates, as it was starting to ask me multiple times a day. I will find the requested logs, review and upload later today.

windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers [​IMG]

edencorbin, Jan 13, 2018
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I doubt it's disk or partition related (see below). Anyway, please use Minitool Partition Wizard - it shows more detail and a partition Disk Management will not show:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

That's an extract from mine.

It's possible you're a bit short of space on C: - 27Gb may be just enough - how big is your Windows folder?
    However I note your comment
    so can discount that as a reason.

The error could be related to a driver e.g. related to your disks, a mismatch between your hardware and Win 10's requirement, the need for a BIOS update..... essentially some incompatibility which will hopefully be indicated in one of the log files.

One incompatibility identified here:
    1703 - 1709 update fails, Solved - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

You could try this: (ignore the DELL ref)
    "Windows setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware" error during Windows 7 or Windows 10 installation | Dell UK

dalchina, Jan 13, 2018
  12. I could not find the $Windows.~bt\ folder, I believe I did a clean files from system properties that deleted it. However, I did notice that I DO have IIS enabled (for .net development), which is the incompatibility link you posted. Here is an image from minitool, followed by the IIS programs I have enabled. I'm thinking I should try disabling those, and if I still get the error the dell instructions, and if that doesn't work, check my logs?

Can I just disable the service (IIS Admin Service?), or do I need to remove these as recommended from add/remove windows feature area, then add them back?

Thank again for the help, hope to figure this one out.

edencorbin, Jan 13, 2018
  13. dalchina New Member

Notice your C: is configured as Boot - different to mine. However I think I've seen that on someone else's...

I'd go for the IIS fix first.

There is one other thing that might be an issue- the disk numbering (see your Disk Management). I've just finished a thread with a user whose PC wouldn't upgrade on that score- fortunately he found a solution.

Try dealing with IIS, and see how that goes.

Make sure you have a current disk image before making any changes just in case.

dalchina, Jan 13, 2018
  14. zbook New Member
    Please run this log collector and post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting:
    Windows 10 Help Forums

For Windows updated failures there are Panther logs that have information about the failure message and code. Then using this information the logs can be scanned to find the problems. Sometimes this is tedious to decode the error codes.

Turn off all of the cleaning software: uninstall Ccleaner if it is in use and then reinstall it after the troubleshooting has been completed.

Download and Install: voidtools
    This software will make search more efficient.

Overnight attempt an upgrade and after the failure search for Panther folder and post into the thread these files:

setuperr.log
    setupact.log
    Setupmem.dmp
    setupapi.dev.log
    BlueBox.log
    Rollback

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers - Similar Threads - setup configure run

2. Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware - lenovo...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware - lenovo...: Hi,Today I struggled quite a few hours trying to install a Windows 10 OS on a lenovo thinkpad t450 laptop having an existing Win 7 OS installed.So, I have deleted the hard disk existing partitions, re-created them and proceeded with the Win 10 OS install.I have tried several...
  3. Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware - lenovo...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware - lenovo...: Hi,Today I struggled quite a few hours trying to install a Windows 10 OS on a lenovo thinkpad t450 laptop having an existing Win 7 OS installed.So, I have deleted the hard disk existing partitions, re-created them and proceeded with the Win 10 OS install.I have tried several...
  4. Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware - lenovo...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 21H1 Windows setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 21H1 Windows setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware: windows 10 2h21 windows setup could not configure to run on this computers hardware error message pop up and my laptop just shutdown right away my laptop specCore i3 3227U 1.9GHz 2C4THD4000 with 710M4gb of ddr3 ram single channelPhoenix bios v1.20Hdd hitachi HTS543232L9A300My...
  6. Windows 10 21H1 Windows setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 21H1 Windows setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware: windows 10 2h21 windows setup could not configure to run on this computers hardware error message pop up and my laptop just shutdown right away my laptop specCore i3 3227U 1.9GHz 2C4THD4000 with 710M4gb of ddr3 ram single channelPhoenix bios v1.20Hdd hitachi HTS543232L9A300My...
  7. Windows 10 21H1 Windows setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware.

Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware.: Hi. Good day. Currently installing windows on my laptop but getting this error:Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware.I searched the web about possible solution, I tried accessing the command prompt when I get that error but it's not...
  9. Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware while...

Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware while...: I have to reset Windows 10 because some error was going on the last few days. I reset windows 10 using cloud install and remove everything I have backed up everything to another disk Everything was going on smoothly until the install windows screen. After the restart, a...
  10. Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware

in Windows 10 News
    Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware: [ATTACH]Some users when installing a Feature Update or full install/re-install of Windows 10 may receive the error Windows setup could not configure Windows to run […] This article Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware first appeared on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setupact pszwindir null