Windows 10: Windows Shell Common DLL Stopped Working on Sound Properties

Discus and support Windows Shell Common DLL Stopped Working on Sound Properties in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I access the context menu on Sound properties, it crashes, saying "Windows Shell Common DLL Stopped Working". I have Realtek HD audio and Intel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ksio89, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ksio89 Win User

Windows Shell Common DLL Stopped Working on Sound Properties

When I access the context menu on Sound properties, it crashes, saying "Windows Shell Common DLL Stopped Working". I have Realtek HD audio and Intel Display Audio (HDMI out) audio devices. I can't access any function from the context menu, such as setting the highlighted audio device as default or testing the device. I tried both R2.79 drivers from Realtek website, as well as the drivers posted here in the Latest Realtek HD Audio Driver Version - Windows 10 Forums thread, but the issue persists. This happens with all tabs on Sound properties, such as Playback and Recording.

However, if I click the "Set default" button on the bottom it works, but on the other hard, cliking the arrow to open the drop-down list menu triggers the crash again.

I uninstalled the Intel Display Audio driver from Device Manager, leaving only the Realtek HD Audio device, and it stopped the crashing, as I'm able to access the context menu without crashing. Is this issue caused by Intel Display Audio or is a bug caused by Windows 10? Thanks in advance.

:)

ksio89, Jul 6, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jul 6, 2016
  3. HOW TO REMOVE THIS ERROR="Windows Shell common Dll has stopped working."

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

Check the methods here which should help :

Windows Shell Common DLL has stopped working

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-shell-com...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jul 6, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

I would think, based on your description, it is caused by the Intel Audio Driver. With the Intel Audio driver installed, you have 2 different drivers for the same audio device, which can cause driver conflicts. That is the way I see it.

essenbe, Jul 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Shell Common DLL Stopped Working on Sound Properties - Similar Threads - Shell Common DLL

2. Windows sounds stopped working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows sounds stopped working.: Ok this may sound weird but I lost all windows default sounds on my laptop. Volume works but there's no dong noise when I adjust it. I don't get windows notification sounds anymore. I also don't get error sounds or the startup sound at all. I also don't hear the device...
  3. Windows sounds stopped working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows sounds stopped working.: Ok this may sound weird but I lost all windows default sounds on my laptop. Volume works but there's no dong noise when I adjust it. I don't get windows notification sounds anymore. I also don't get error sounds or the startup sound at all. I also don't hear the device...
  4. The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted. Event Properties - Event...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted. Event Properties - Event...: [ATTACH][ATTACH] The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted. Event Properties - Event 1002 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-shell-stopped-unexpectedly-and-explorerexe-was/c3a9a43f-2d89-4e12-bbbb-a35937c4515a
  5. Powershell common DLL not responding Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Powershell common DLL not responding Windows 10: So im trying to get a Wii u adapter to work on my computer and whenever i try to calibrate my controller, it comes up with a powershell error. This is the only time I run into issues and other people who use the software, with windows 10, have no clue what is going on....
  6. "Windows Shell Experience Host stopped working"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Windows Shell Experience Host stopped working": Every day while working on my surface book 2, the Start menu will crash and close in front of me. I've noticed that this happens every time that the Shell Experience host stopped working. This keeps happening to me since the first day I got this machine. its been months with...
  7. Windows Shell Dll crashes every time when I open microphone properties in the sound control...

Windows Shell Dll crashes every time when I open microphone properties in the sound control...: I already updated the drivers and tried to uninstall and rebooted the pc. Also tried the poweshell command Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Scope CurrentUser and prompt command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth doesn't really spot anything....
  8. Microphone Format stuck on telephone quality, Windows Shell Common Dll crashes.

Microphone Format stuck on telephone quality, Windows Shell Common Dll crashes.: Hello, after browsing through many questions on this platform I have been left dumbfounded on how to fix this issue. My CORSAIR Void Pro was working fine on Windows 7, and upon upgrading to Windows 10 has been locked on Telephone Quality and can not be set to DVD or CD...
  9. Game Controller Settings Window (Windows Common Shell DLL) freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Controller Settings Window (Windows Common Shell DLL) freezes: As the title says, I've had this issue since around 1st the June now when a Windows update came out. What happens is that seemingly regardless if I have controllers plugged in or not, and if it's plugged in, it doesn't matter what kind of controller I plug in, the Game...
  10. Error Windows Shell Common Dll has stopped working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error Windows Shell Common Dll has stopped working: Hello All,first my problem is while i changing my mouse pointer theme,this error appeard to me *Sick Windows Shell Common Dll Has Stopped Working 22574