Windows 10: Windows Shell Experience Host and Runtime Broker spiking CPU usage to 100% every time I...

Discus and support Windows Shell Experience Host and Runtime Broker spiking CPU usage to 100% every time I... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I've had issues with Windows Shell Experience Host before, however I fixed the issue simply turning off the slideshow my desktop background was on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LukeHarwood, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Windows Shell Experience Host and Runtime Broker spiking CPU usage to 100% every time I...

So I've had issues with Windows Shell Experience Host before, however I fixed the issue simply turning off the slideshow my desktop background was on at the time.

This time the Windows Shell Experience Host issue has seemingly come out of nowhere, and it now has an accomplice: Runtime Broker.

I've been trying to actively fix the issue for about the past 8 hours, and can't get anywhere with it. This problem is really bugging me because it only rears its head in the first half a second after I open my task manager, when it then swiftly returns to normal.

This is what I see in the brief instant after I open my task manager (although sometimes it's slightly different, with one of either WSEH or RB missing):

Windows Shell Experience Host and Runtime Broker spiking CPU usage to 100% every time I... d2bac314-500e-4657-a03e-f68941f5e633?upload=true.png

As you can see, the CPU usage is exceedingly high, and despite my having the list ordered by descending CPU usage, the ones supposedly using the most (WSEH and RB) are displayed as using 0%. The CPU usage is at 100% usually, but this time it was only 92, which is still ridiculous. Also bare in mind that the Google Chrome tabs are not affecting this, as the problem persists in exactly the same way even when they are closed. I believe the 0% display is simply caused by the computer being slowed down by the opening of the task manager due to the WSEH and RB causing issues. So, in reality, they are eating away at all of my CPU usage.

I know this is not a heat bottlenecking issue, as I have my laptop set on a cooling pad, and the issue persists even when nothing is running and the temperature of the laptop is low.

I have tried quite a few approaches to fix this, as most articles online I have found very unhelpful. All of the articles say to either change the slideshow, set the colour options to not change automatically, and set the task bar to not be transparent. I tried changing all of these things, yet the problem persisted.

So, I then tried disabling some vanity aspects of windows, such as Windows Ink Workspace, People, Phone, and the Touch Keyboard. I did this by changing their binary settings in the registry editor to 0 and disabling them. The problem persisted even after computer restarts.

I tried multiple virus scans, but they solved nothing.

I checked the WSEH was not a virus by identifying its file source location in System 32.

I also tried an sfe /scannow in system 32 to try and identify any faulty software causing the lag. The scan said everything was fine, yet the problem persists.

It might be useful to note that this problem only really started when I set up my new drawing tablet on my computer (since I'm a digital artist). The Huion Camvas Pro 12.

The main area this is causing issues is during gaming, as it causes the screen to freeze every few seconds, making it impossible to play properly. However, subtle frame drops as the CPU struggles are noticable during general pc use.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this, as it's massively hindering my experience on my laptop.

:)

LukeHarwood, Apr 19, 2019

2. Windows 10 start button not working, shell infastructure host with high cpu usage

Sorry for the late reply. This article from Windows Report gives some good clues as to what might trigger the Shell Host Experience to spike CPU usage or make it constant. Fix: High CPU Usage Caused by Windows Shell Experience Host Could you
    give it a try and let us know if helps or not. Awaiting your reply.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 19, 2019
  3. Windows Shell Experience Host using 35 to 55% of CPU usage on Windows 10

Hi Don,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about CPU utilization by Windows Shell Experience Host, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to end the process from Task Manager and check.

• Press Ctrl+Alt+Del together to open
      Task Manager

• Go to Processes tab, right-click on the Windows Shell Experience Host process and click
      End Process.

Step 2: Boot the computer in to Safe mode with networking and if the CPU usage is same.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Step 3: I suggest you to install all the pending updates after upgrade to Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.
    Also, visit the computer manufacturer’s website and install the drivers being found and check if it helps.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 19, 2019
  4. Omidreza Win User

Windows Shell Experience Host and Runtime Broker spiking CPU usage to 100% every time I...

Runtime Broker high CPU usage

I found that if I just don't minimize the groove music app then runtime broker doesn't eat my cpu. So temporarily I don't minimize the groove music but it's very ridiculous that minimizing the app cause cpu usage by runtime broker. I hope microsoft fix
    this issue with grove music.

Omidreza, Apr 19, 2019
Thema:

Windows Shell Experience Host and Runtime Broker spiking CPU usage to 100% every time I...

1. Windows Shell Experience Host and Runtime Broker spiking CPU usage to 100% every time I... - Similar Threads - Shell Experience Host

2. Shell Infrastructure Host High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shell Infrastructure Host High CPU Usage: Hello all,Currently running into some issues with Shell Infrastructure Host sitting at 50% cpu usage. I have uninstalled the photos app and run maintenance tasks. Have also tried scanning for corrupt system files. Due to the usage of the pc, I will be unable to restart it for...
  3. Shell Infrastructure Host High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shell Infrastructure Host High CPU Usage: Hello all,Currently running into some issues with Shell Infrastructure Host sitting at 50% cpu usage. I have uninstalled the photos app and run maintenance tasks. Have also tried scanning for corrupt system files. Due to the usage of the pc, I will be unable to restart it for...
  4. Runtime broker 100% Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Runtime broker 100% Disk: Hi,I upgraded my windows PC from 7 to 10 several months ago and ever since I upgraded I noticed that my Disk is always running at 100%, after following a bunch of guides online the only fix that worked was to terminate each and every Runtime Broker processes.Ever since than...
  5. Runtime broker 100% Disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Runtime broker 100% Disk: Hi,I upgraded my windows PC from 7 to 10 several months ago and ever since I upgraded I noticed that my Disk is always running at 100%, after following a bunch of guides online the only fix that worked was to terminate each and every Runtime Broker processes.Ever since than...
  6. Runtime broker 100% Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. 100% CPU usage spike

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% CPU usage spike: Hi my computer was working fine last night no issues then this morning I power on and suddenly it stuck at 100% CPU usage and it's all windows processes that seem to be occuping the usage. I have done a reset and removed everything and still same issue I don't think there was...
  8. windows shell experience host

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows shell experience host: A new program showed up on my computer with the latest Micro Soft upgrade called "windows shell experience host," two days ago. It comes up in a window when I boot up, and wants me to allow it access. Anyone ever heard of it? It wants me to let it on my system, but my...
  9. Runtime broker and Windows shell Experience Host high cpu usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Runtime broker and Windows shell Experience Host high cpu usage: Solutions I already tried: * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker Changing Start into 4 * Removed the slideshow notification * Closed all my personal tray apps * Performed an offline scan using Windows defender * Performed a normal scan using...
  10. Runtime Broker using high memory and cpu usage

in Windows 10 Support
    Runtime Broker using high memory and cpu usage: after upgrading to windows 10 my laptop fan always working fast ... when i checked this issue, i see runtime broker in task manager with high resourse usage ... when i click on end task, everything be normal... but runtime broker run itselft immediately ... i googled this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. huion camvas pro 12 does not work on windows 10