Windows 10: Windows sign in fingerprint and pin not working

Discus and support Windows sign in fingerprint and pin not working in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; HiMy laptop's fingerprint reader didnt recognise my fingerprint, saying something went wrong on their end. The only other sign in option is pin, which... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by thomasmccormick4, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Windows sign in fingerprint and pin not working

HiMy laptop's fingerprint reader didnt recognise my fingerprint, saying something went wrong on their end. The only other sign in option is pin, which again is not working due to an issue on their end.When trying to recover the account, the recovery email and phone are not ones i have access to, so I tried reseting this. My account is now locked for some time, and i still cant sign into my laptop.Is there any way to get around this issue, as i have university work that i need to do this week.Thanks

:)

thomasmccormick4, Sep 21, 2021
  2. Wullail Win User

Enable Fingerprint Sign In Without PIN Sign In (Windows Hello)

I don't think you can , the PIN is a backup in-case the fingerprint fails.

Wullail, Sep 21, 2021
  3. tjc4 Win User

So I just reinstalled Windows 10 on my machine.

Before I had it set up so that I could log in with a password or fingerprint.

Now it seems my only options are (1) password only OR (2) password, PIN or fingerprint.

I don't want PIN as a sign in option. But I have to enable PIN via "Windows Hello" before enabling Fingerprint sign in.

And once I have fingerprint sign in enabled, if I remove the PIN I lose both PIN and fingerprint sign in options.

Any ideas how I can set up password and fingerprint as my only two sign in options?

4. Windows sign in fingerprint and pin not working

It must have been the upgrade that carried over your biometrics.

I've been testing Win10 for nearly 2 years and only in the early days of the Tech preview did my fingerprint reader work without a PIN. It was far worse in the 1st few weeks (months?) with Hello - you had to sign-in with an MS account to be able to get a PIN - if you signed in with a Local account, you couldn't use the fingerprint reader!

Now you just set the PIN and you can create your fingerprint record(s) ad it works with a Local account.

Once MS introduced Hello a PIN was required for alternative authentication.

Sure you can do the math on a 4-digit pin ... but that not how a PIN works.
    Windows Hello and privacy: FAQ - Microsoft Windows

Microsoft Passport overview (Windows 10)
    Microsoft Passport guide (Windows 10)
    Manage identity verification using Microsoft Passport (Windows 10)
    Why a PIN is better than a password (Windows 10)

To get the same complexity from a PIN ... you'd have to tie the pin to the device and the Trusted Platform Module; pass the authentication measures of PassPort technologies, add some form of user authentication (gesture, fingerprint, iris, face recognition .... )

but that can't be as secure as a sophisticated open text password, eh? *Wink
    - just having a bit of fun with this ... because I hated it too ... at first until the 'fixed' it and then I looked it up.

Bill

Slartybart, Sep 21, 2021
Thema:

Windows sign in fingerprint and pin not working

1. Windows sign in fingerprint and pin not working - Similar Threads - sign fingerprint pin

2. sign in issue by fingerprint, pin forgotten

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sign in issue by fingerprint, pin forgotten: i recently changed my device login pin , I have already added my fingerprint, but on lock screen on choosing sign in method as pingerprint it is not signing in by fingerprint nor by Ms account password , it is again ann again asking for pin...
  3. sign in issue by fingerprint, pin forgotten

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sign in issue by fingerprint, pin forgotten: i recently changed my device login pin , I have already added my fingerprint, but on lock screen on choosing sign in method as pingerprint it is not signing in by fingerprint nor by Ms account password , it is again ann again asking for pin...
  4. Fingerprint Sign-In not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fingerprint Sign-In not working: So I have an Aspire A515-56, and recently the fingerprint sign-in decided to stop working, so I googled how to fix it and saw that I had to uninstall the drivers and reinstall it from a thing on the Acer support website. Well that hasn't worked, and know I'm wondering what to...
  5. Fingerprint Sign-In not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fingerprint Sign-In not working: So I have an Aspire A515-56, and recently the fingerprint sign-in decided to stop working, so I googled how to fix it and saw that I had to uninstall the drivers and reinstall it from a thing on the Acer support website. Well that hasn't worked, and know I'm wondering what to...
  6. Fingerprint sign-in not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Fingerprint sign-in not working: Hi,Recently, I bought a Dell Inspiron 5502 and I am currently setting it up. At the beginning of setting it up I thought I had set up the feature to allow me to access the computer through the fingerprint sign-in feature. The device seemed to record my fingerprint, but when I...
  7. Fingerprint sign in not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fingerprint sign in not working: When I try to sign in, I start with Ctrl-alt-del, then scan fingerprint. Then, I get "Your PIN is required to sign in" That happens both when I am logged off and signing in and when account is locked and signing in. Under my username, the field is Password, in gray, despite...
  8. pin and fingerprint not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    pin and fingerprint not working: yesterday when i signed in to my microsoft account they asked me for a computer pin and i put one with a finger print later after i restarted it my finger print was working but my pin was not. Today my finger print and pin is not working not even the I forgot my pin link...
  9. Fingerprint Sign-in is not working

Fingerprint Sign-in is not working: My Fingerprint is not working on my Lenovo yoga 520 W10. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver Synaptics WBDI of the biometrics but to no avail. It can't be updated at all. It says "The device cannot start. Code:10...
  10. Fingerprint Sign-in Not Working

Fingerprint Sign-in Not Working: Hello! Yesterday my HP laptop all of a sudden froze on a screen that I was working on and after about 5 minutes gave me a blue screen that said something like "windows has encountered a problem and is gathering info and will restart soon : " My laptop restarted but since...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 fingerprint not working pin requied