Windows 10: Windows sign in screen now integrated with another user's sign in screen. My bad for...

Discus and support Windows sign in screen now integrated with another user's sign in screen. My bad for... in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; My husband has an all-in-one desktop Lenovo. For several days he had been having trouble with print production. I suggested that perhaps I could help... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Sherrey Meyer, May 4, 2021.

1. Windows sign in screen now integrated with another user's sign in screen. My bad for...

My husband has an all-in-one desktop Lenovo. For several days he had been having trouble with print production. I suggested that perhaps I could help him out with performing a reset to an earlier date. I've done this before on my Lenovo laptop and on his desktop with great success. Not so this time.After all was finished, he attempted sign-in on the Windows sign-in screen. He appeared to have lost both his profile image and his lock screen background. Not only that, he received an error message for his usual password. BUT, something caught my eye in the lower lefthand corner: options to sign i

:)

Sherrey Meyer, May 4, 2021
  2. Explorer9 Win User

force default user account to always be selected on sign-in screen

A PC has Windows 10 (version 1703, build 15063.726) installed on it. A person named Robert has a user account on it, named Robert. A person named Jennifer has a user account on it, named Jennifer. The user accounts Robert and Jennifer are "Standard" type accounts. There is a third user account, named Adm, and it's type is "Administrator".

The PC specs are: laptop, brand Asus, model X550CA, cpu Intel Celeron 1007U 1.50GHz, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB HDD 5200 RPM, 120 GB SSD.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 1 - the Robert and Jennifer user accounts are both password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types her password and presses Enter.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Jennifer is shown.
    7. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 2 - the Robert user account is password protected, the Jennifer user account is not password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then clicks on the "Sign-in" button.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks on "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. Windows 10 signs in automatically into the Jennifer user account.
    7. Robert clicks on the "Start" button, clicks on the "Jennifer" button, then clicks on "Sign out".
    8. At the sign-in screen, the button "Sign in" for the user account Jennifer is shown.
    9. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Question 1

Is it possible for Robert to change Windows 10's default behavior, to the behavior described below?

1. Robert or Jennifer turns on the PC.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the Robert user account is shown, even if Jennifer was the last person to sign-in and then click on "Shut down" from the "Start" menu.

Question 2

If the answer to question 1 is yes, then what settings does Robert have to make, in order to get the behavior described at question 1?

Changing "dontdisplaylastusername" is not the solution

By changing the "dontdisplaylastusername" registry DWORD from 0 to 1, Robert doesn't get the behavior described at question 1. After setting "dontdisplaylastusername" to 1, Robert has to type both his user account name, and his password, at the sign-in screen. Robert wants to type only his password, at the sign-in screen, and nothing else.

Why does Robert want to change the default behavior

The reasons Robert would like to change to the behavior described at question 1:
    • he is the owner of the PC;
    • he uses his PC frequently, Jennifer uses his PC rarely, therefore it makes sense that Robert should have one less click to do in order to sign in;
    • he doesn't want to click on something in order to get at his password field, he wants to press the power button on the PC and then type his password (doesn't want unnecessary intermediate steps between pressing the power button and typing his password).

Explorer9, May 4, 2021
  3. dacrone Win User
    different lock screen and sign in screen?

Step 2b is labeled as Change the Login Screen Image, but the steps show you how to change the Lock Screen image. Step 2a is irrelevant. It only tells you how to change the desktop background.

What I want to do:
    Set Spotlight as the LOCK Screen Image(s) - Done
    Set the Win 10 Hero Image as the SIGN IN Screen Image - This is the one that shows after you click on the lock screen and you are able to type your password. If I uncheck "Show Lock Screen Image on Sign In Screen", it shows a solid blue background behind my Password box and user image. This is what I want to change to the Hero Image....

dacrone, May 4, 2021
  4. Liberty Win User

Windows sign in screen now integrated with another user's sign in screen. My bad for...

I want Windows 10 Sign-in Screen to show which users are signed in

Thank you for trying to help, but as stated in my post, "If you are already signed into an account, then you can look and see which users (if any) are signed in and there is no guesswork needed." This can be done as you described or (I think) through the Users tab in Task Manager.

The problem is knowing which users are signed in when you are at the Sign-in Screen. Windows 8.x used to say below a user's picture and name "Signed in". Windows 10 does not. If a signed in user Locks their account or if the PC is put/goes to Sleep or Hibernation and then you come along and want to restart or shutdown from the Sign-in Screen. In that case, Windows 10 tells you other users are signed in, but you have no way of knowing which users are signed in without first signing into one of the accounts.

Liberty, May 4, 2021
Thema:

Windows sign in screen now integrated with another user's sign in screen. My bad for...

1. Windows sign in screen now integrated with another user's sign in screen. My bad for... - Similar Threads - sign screen integrated

2. The "Other User" sign in screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The "Other User" sign in screen.: Hello,So I clean installed Windows 10 created my account and everything but when I start my PC the Other user screen comes up. I have to select my account and then enter the password. It's a sort of big deal for me. My PC is working fine I have an administrator account it's...
  3. The "Other User" sign in screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The "Other User" sign in screen.: Hello,So I clean installed Windows 10 created my account and everything but when I start my PC the Other user screen comes up. I have to select my account and then enter the password. It's a sort of big deal for me. My PC is working fine I have an administrator account it's...
  4. The "Other User" sign in screen.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. No users showing on sign in screen

No users showing on sign in screen: I am on the sign in screen and there's no users to change to the one I am on when I try to log into it it says user profile service failed to sign in. To fix it I need to go into aadvanced startup but there's no power option in the bottom right corner and when I try to switch...
  6. No users showing on sign in screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No users showing on sign in screen: I am on the sign in screen and there's no users to change to the one I am on when I try to log into it it says user profile service failed to sign in. To fix it I need to go into aadvanced startup but there's no power option in the bottom right corner and when I try to switch...
  7. No users showing on sign in screen

8. Can't sign into other users from sign in screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't sign into other users from sign in screen: I was trying to sign in to my other account on my PC from the sign-in screen and I couldn't access it. I had looked up some things and they hadn't worked. I'm not sure what to do at this point so if anyone knows how I could fix this I would be grateful if you told me how. My...
  9. Can't sign into other users from sign in screen

Can't sign into other users from sign in screen: I was trying to sign in to my other account on my PC from the sign-in screen and I couldn't access it. I had looked up some things and they hadn't worked. I'm not sure what to do at this point so if anyone knows how I could fix this I would be grateful if you told me how. My...
  10. Window Update now no sign on screen

Window Update now no sign on screen: My Dell laptop just installed the most recent windows update automatically when I booted it. I let the update go through the normal loading and waited for my background screen to appear . What happens is I click my mouse or touch the mouse pad or touch the keyboard and...