Windows 10: Windows Sleep Fail After Waking

Discus and support Windows Sleep Fail After Waking in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home (OS Build 18363.900) CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Ti DirectX 12 ZT-P10710C-10P 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 MB: ASUS ROG... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by razam, Jul 8, 2020.

1. razam Win User

Windows Sleep Fail After Waking

Windows 10 Home (OS Build 18363.900)
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Ti DirectX 12 ZT-P10710C-10P 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5
    MB: ASUS ROG Strix X470-F
    RAM: 4 x 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V - F4-3200C16D-32GVK
    SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS100T2B0B

The first thing I noticed after putting this build together was that the boot time is longer than my previous build that used a regular SSD connected via a SATA cable.

My more pressing concern is that the sleep function of Windows 10 has never worked properly. When waking from sleep, everything appears as you would expect. However, at some point later, the monitors inevitably stop receiving any signal. Modern components have a lot of lights and their state suggests the computer is active, but the computers shared files have become inaccessible and Alt, Ctrl, Del does nothing. Briefly pressing and/or long pressing the power button has no effect. All of this together leads me to believe the computer has frozen. Also, this tends to happen within two hours from waking, and usually while I am away from the computer.

This behavior has ONLY happened after waking from sleep.

The only way to bring the computer back to life is to switch off the power supply. I try to minimize the impact of this by waiting at least five minutes before turning the supply back on. I also hold down the power button several times, as this might dissipate the capacitors prior to turning the power supply back on.

At first, I thought this issue was because of Windows inability to install a certain update. So, I stopped using the sleep function. At some point, Microsoft released a major update that was equivalent to a complete reinstall, and I have not had any problems with Windows Update since then. Yesterday, I tried the sleep function again and today the same issue returned.

I want to understand the problem before I act. Otherwise, there is a good chance that a reinstall will not change anything and I will have lost all the time spent configuring my system the way I want.

I am at a complete loss. Please help! The sleep function saves so much time!

:)

razam, Jul 8, 2020

2. Sleep / Wake Function, malfunctions after waking

Hi,

Issues that arise after waking up the PC from sleep mode might have been caused by a software conflict or system file corruption. For us to clarify the issue, we would like to ask these questions:

• What is the exact issue that you are experiencing?
    • Did you notice any recent system changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you encountered any error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

If you are having issues waking your PC from sleep, we suggest running the
    Power troubleshooter
    as an initial troubleshooting. Kindly follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Troubleshoot, and then press Enter.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, click on Power.
    • Click on Run the troubleshooter button.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.

We will wait for your response.

Janeane Cru, Jul 8, 2020
  3. John Sarc Win User
    computer wake-up after sleep

Hi Bill,

There's a possibility that the settings that enables your Space bar to wake your computer up from sleep was reset after updating Windows. If this what had happened, we suggest that you just re-set it up. See the steps below on how to do
    so:

• Press Windows key and type keyboard in.
    • Click on Keyboard option and a pop-up windows should show up.
    • From there, go to > Hardware tab > Properties >
      Change settings > Power management > Allow this device to wake the computer >
      OK/Apply.

Try the if the steps did work and let us know any updates.

John Sarc, Jul 8, 2020
  4. Windows Sleep Fail After Waking

wake from sleep issue in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply. Apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to check which devices are configured to wake up the computer from sleep by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command line below:
    Powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

3. Check if the devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet cable) are listed.

If the system is not going to sleep and going to Hybernate, the only option to wake up is to press the Power button.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

Windows Sleep Fail After Waking

1. Windows Sleep Fail After Waking - Similar Threads - Sleep Fail Waking

2. Windows 10 Laptop fails to wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Laptop fails to wake from sleep: I have an ASUS laptop which is running Windows 10. Starting around July / August of this year, my laptop fails to resume from sleep mode occasionally. After waking from sleep, I either get a black screen and nothing. Black screen and auto reboot after ~30 seconds, or Black...
  3. Windows 10 Laptop fails to wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Laptop fails to wake from sleep: I have an ASUS laptop which is running Windows 10. Starting around July / August of this year, my laptop fails to resume from sleep mode occasionally. After waking from sleep, I either get a black screen and nothing. Black screen and auto reboot after ~30 seconds, or Black...
  4. Windows 10 Laptop fails to wake from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop failed to wake from sleep / enter sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop failed to wake from sleep / enter sleep: Sometimes when I tried to enter the sleep mode, the screen darkens, but the laptop was still awake blue LED indicator beside the laptop, should be in orange if entered sleep successfully. When this issue happened, I can't do anything else but to force restart the laptop...
  6. Laptop failed to wake from sleep / enter sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop failed to wake from sleep / enter sleep: Sometimes when I tried to enter the sleep mode, the screen darkens, but the laptop was still awake blue LED indicator beside the laptop, should be in orange if entered sleep successfully. When this issue happened, I can't do anything else but to force restart the laptop...
  7. Networking seems to fail after windows wakes up from sleep.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Networking seems to fail after windows wakes up from sleep.: [ATTACH] Lately, this problem has been plaguing me. I do not know when it started as I don't usually leave my PC on for this long. I use ethernet and once I awake my PC from sleep, the network adapter immediately breaks. In the system tray, it becomes a globe with a cross...
  8. Windows wakes immediately after sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows wakes immediately after sleep: [IMG] So I've already tried disabling wake timers and changing power settings but my pc still wakes up immediately after going to sleep. I've also tried a registry fix but that doesn't help either. Windows seems to be woken up by the following:...
  9. Monitor Wakes after sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor Wakes after sleep: I have a self built AMD system with an ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO MOBO I set the screen to turn off after 3 minutes. It does, although it hangs up sometimes if Facebook is open But then it comes on again for 3 more minutes after 3 minutes of being off I thought it might be a MOBO...
  10. Fail to wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fail to wake from sleep: Win10 Pro 10.0.13134 Build 17134 Since the various Dec updates, on random occassions win does not resume from sleep by moving the mouse, or any key, have to hard re-boot (by random I mean about 5% of the time) HW drivers are up to date from makers site (motherboard) Last...