Windows 10: Windows slowly freezes, becomes unresponsible

Discus and support Windows slowly freezes, becomes unresponsible in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've been having this odd issue where watching YouTube late at night, the video will pause while the audio continues. Sometimes pressing Escape will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Azhrei, May 4, 2021.

1. Azhrei Win User

Windows slowly freezes, becomes unresponsible

I've been having this odd issue where watching YouTube late at night, the video will pause while the audio continues. Sometimes pressing Escape will get me out of the fullscreen video, most of the time it will not. Sometimes menus will load, sometimes they won't. Sometimes I'm able to get to the Power > Restart/Power Off options, but they will never work. Windows just slowly starts freezing and becomes utterly unresponsive, and all I can do is to force a power off. I thought a Firefox add-on might be the culprit, particularly YouTube Enhancer, but I disabled them all one by one and it's still happening. For a few months it seemed to stop - then the other day it started happening again. Tonight I started watching a film on Netflix, where it has never crashed. For some reason the quality seemed low, despite my decent connection, so I launched the Windows app and watched it there. And lo and behold - the video paused, Windows became slow and unresponsive, and I was forced to power off yet again. So maybe there's a link between whatever is used equally by Google and Netflix to play their content? I really haven't a clue otherwise, after a few months I'd forgotten it had ever happened until a few days ago. Yet again I am scrambling to look for a solution and coming up empty. It's a self-build with the following specs - Ryzen 5 3600 16GB @ 3600MHz (XMP enabled) GigaByte B550 Aorus Elite (driver 2.13.27.501) Radeon RX 5700 XT (driver 21.4.1) Windows 10 Professional x64 19042.928

:)

Azhrei, May 4, 2021
  2. Azhrei Win User

There's nothing really showing up, though one does seem to be repeating. There were three entries for yesterday - two were for a very old, very unstable game that I play occasionally, and the third is the one that is repeated several times over the last month. You can see it here -

Windows slowly freezes, becomes unresponsible [​IMG]

Nothing is showing up in DXDiag, and none of the troubleshooters found anything. When this first started happening I thought it might be the graphics card at fault, since it reminded me of an ancient issue I had with my Radeon HD 4870 many moons ago, where coming out of a fullscreen YouTube video with hardware acceleration on would cause the entire system to lock up. However, I can run the most demanding games all day on the pc and there won't be a wink of trouble out of it. Watch YouTube for a while (and now the Netflix app, apparently) and slowdown and freeze.

Azhrei, May 4, 2021
  3. Azhrei Win User

I've been having this odd issue where watching YouTube late at night, the video will pause while the audio continues. Sometimes pressing Escape will get me out of the fullscreen video, most of the time it will not. Sometimes menus will load, sometimes they won't. Sometimes I'm able to get to the Power > Restart/Power Off options, but they will never work. Windows just slowly starts freezing and becomes utterly unresponsive, and all I can do is to force a power off. I thought a Firefox add-on might be the culprit, particularly YouTube Enhancer, but I disabled them all one by one and it's still happening. For a few months it seemed to stop - then the other day it started happening again.

Tonight I started watching a film on Netflix, where it has never crashed. For some reason the quality seemed low, despite my decent connection, so I launched the Windows app and watched it there. And lo and behold - the video paused, Windows became slow and unresponsive, and I was forced to power off yet again.

So maybe there's a link between whatever is used equally by Google and Netflix to play their content? I really haven't a clue otherwise, after a few months I'd forgotten it had ever happened until a few days ago. Yet again I am scrambling to look for a solution and coming up empty.

It's a self-build with the following specs -

Ryzen 5 3600
    16GB @ 3600MHz (XMP enabled)
    GigaByte B550 Aorus Elite (driver 2.13.27.501)
    Radeon RX 5700 XT (driver 21.4.1)
    Windows 10 Professional x64 19042.928

Azhrei, May 4, 2021
  4. Windows slowly freezes, becomes unresponsible

Toshiba Satellite C55 Freezes/Unresponsive

Hello,

Just today I installed windows 10 to my laptop and after getting home from work I opened it and it at first was unresponsive on my desktop and then turned black a minute later. I tried all the usual steps to see if it was just slowly running, but it was
    unresponsive. I tried a hard reset but all it did was load up to the screen where I login to the laptop but freeze there and then turn black. The time would still change but my mouse, keys, etc did not do anything. I really need my laptop to work since I just
    started school and if I could even find a way to set it back 24 hours before I installed 10 would be helpful. At this point 10 is unappealing until the all clear is given.

AndrewAllen_92_, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows slowly freezes, becomes unresponsible - Similar Threads - slowly freezes becomes

2. Windows 11 PC freezes and becomes completely unresponsive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 PC freezes and becomes completely unresponsive.: Dell XPS 8940Windows 11 ProVersion 22h211th Gen IntelR CoreTM i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz 3.40 GHz64.0 GB RAMTwo Drive 1.84 TB It doesn't matter what I doesn't matter if I am using the Web browser or doing something else my Desktop just freeze and becomes completely unresponsive. I...
  3. Game unexpectedly freezing and becoming unresponsive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game unexpectedly freezing and becoming unresponsive.: Whenever i try to play a game, for example rust, when i load in my game freezes dispite 100+fps and becomes unresponsive. However i can still hear the gamesound but my screen is frozen and tells me to wait for it to respond or close the program. When i checked the event...
  4. Game unexpectedly freezing and becoming unresponsive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game unexpectedly freezing and becoming unresponsive.: Whenever i try to play a game, for example rust, when i load in my game freezes dispite 100+fps and becomes unresponsive. However i can still hear the gamesound but my screen is frozen and tells me to wait for it to respond or close the program. When i checked the event...
  5. Game unexpectedly freezing and becoming unresponsive.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. computer freezes on boot up and becomes unresponsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer freezes on boot up and becomes unresponsive: This is the screen it always starts on and freezes, ive tried shutting it down and rebooting, i cant access booting options since it freezes almost as soon as it turns on. This happened once before, i left it alone for about a month until i was ready to deal with it but it...
  7. computer freezes on boot up and becomes unresponsive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer freezes on boot up and becomes unresponsive: This is the screen it always starts on and freezes, ive tried shutting it down and rebooting, i cant access booting options since it freezes almost as soon as it turns on. This happened once before, i left it alone for about a month until i was ready to deal with it but it...
  8. computer freezes on boot up and becomes unresponsive

9. Windows 10 freezes and becomes unresponsive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 freezes and becomes unresponsive: Hi all, For a few days now, after a few minutes of use the computer becomes unresponsive and I have to reboot because there is no other solution. For example, when this happens, I am able to move the pinned icons from the bottom bar anywhere. I have done the last...
  10. Windows freezing frequently and becoming entirely unresponsive

Windows freezing frequently and becoming entirely unresponsive: Hello, I've been having the same problem for about 2 years now where my PC sometimes will run perfectly normal but sometimes it will become entirely unresponsive. The screen will freeze except for the mouse but nothing will respond when I click it and when I hover over the...