Windows 10: Windows sometimes won't boot because of secondary HDD.

Discus and support Windows sometimes won't boot because of secondary HDD. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have been trying to figure this one out for some time now, but I just can't find any solution except getting a new HDD. Sometimes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BC_Final, Nov 27, 2019.

1. BC_Final Win User

Windows sometimes won't boot because of secondary HDD.

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to figure this one out for some time now, but I just can't find any solution except getting a new HDD.

Sometimes my PC will get stuck on spinny points boot screen. Even when trying to boot into the recovery mode it just gets stuck at a black screen.

This only happens sometimes. (Let's say once a week)

I can fix it temporarily by unplugging my secondary HDD. It then proceeds to boot normally.

The HDD is less than 2 months old, SMART says everything is alright and CHKDSK can't find any issues either.

Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction? I don't want to resort to buying a new HDD already, because this one is basically brand new.

If you need any additional info to help me, please let me know.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

BC_Final

:)

BC_Final, Nov 27, 2019
  2. Guest1 Win User

Sabertooth 990fx won't boot to windows logo, it shuts down

to boot and enter bios and load windows, any todays PSU (with the correct plugs) will work, AFAIK

to enter BIOS only low wattage is used.
    Then, during boot, the HDD and a bit later the videocard card start to demand juice, then the other devices and periphericals... so the total demand during boot up is incrementing step by step, that's why a failure halfway could indicate a PSU problem....

Guest1, Nov 27, 2019
  3. Guest2 Win User
    VirtualBox on SSD or secondary HDD Discussion

It seems UEFI firmware on relatively new computers does not like dual booting on secondary HDD's. So, what are your recommendations? Dual boot on a partition of the SSD, or set up a virtual machine on the secondary HDD?

VirtualBox is the current preference.

<Moved from Windows Insider preview forums>

Guest2, Nov 27, 2019
  4. Guest3 Win User

How to Disable Chkdsk at Boot for a Secondary HDD

Windows recently starting having an issue with one of my PC's secondary drives, suggesting a disk check and repair on boot. I let it run to completion once, but it still continued to prompt me for another disk check, though it would always give me the option
    to 'press any key to skip.'

Now, however, there is no option to skip the disk check, and the one time I let it run overnight, I found it stalled at 16%. The only way I am able to boot to desktop now is by disconnecting the SATA cable to the HDD - reconnecting it and rebooting immediately
    causes Windows to try performing another checkdisk.

Is there any way for me to prevent Windows from running the check disk on this drive?

Guest3, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows sometimes won't boot because of secondary HDD. - Similar Threads - sometimes won't boot

2. SOMETIMES computer won't boot to Windows

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SOMETIMES computer won't boot to Windows: I'm helping a friend who just built a computer. Install went fine. I watched as the computer was restarted many times to apply all the latest updates. He did a normal shutdown because he wanted to look at something in the BIOS menu. After only view the BIOS menu, he did a...
  3. SOMETIMES computer won't boot to Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SOMETIMES computer won't boot to Windows: I'm helping a friend who just built a computer. Install went fine. I watched as the computer was restarted many times to apply all the latest updates. He did a normal shutdown because he wanted to look at something in the BIOS menu. After only view the BIOS menu, he did a...
  4. SOMETIMES computer won't boot to Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  6. Computer wont boot with secondary HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer wont boot with secondary HDD?: Hi there, hope this is the right place, Essentially my issue is that whenever I try to boot my pc with a secondary HDD plugged in it wont boot, it doesn't even get to the bios splash screen, I have windows installed on a Kingston SSD, and I am trying to utilise a...
  7. Secondary HDD not showing

Secondary HDD not showing: I got HP 15ay-543tu with windows 10 ver.1909 installed in it I istalled a new ssd with os in it to the main os boot space. And my older HDD as in DVD reader with caddy First few days it works fine, but suddenly it stopped showing in windows explorer, disk managment, device...
  8. Secondary hdd boot error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Secondary hdd boot error: I have installed Windows on my ssd in my laptop.. I took off the cd-dvd case and put an hdd.. now when I turn on there's an error (0xc000000f).. I entered the bios and the boot order is ok.. however if I press esc several times I get the option to choose a boot drive.. so I...
  9. Windows 10 sometimes won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 sometimes won't boot: I have an Asus GL502VM laptop with dual boot (Ubuntu and W10). When I turn on the pc it shows Ubuntu's GRUB, where I choose to boot W10. The problem is the following, one time it boots properly and the following it doesn't. When it doesn't boot it shows the monitor on, but...
  10. Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD

Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD: So this interesting. I wanted to make an image of my machine since upgrading to Windows 10 and saw it kept on including my secondary drive (which has over 600 gigs of movies). I am not able to uncheck it. So I figured what the hell and disconnected the drive. My box will...