Windows 10: Windows Sort sequence irritant -- wrong sequence

Discus and support Windows Sort sequence irritant -- wrong sequence in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there when browsing through tagged music files Windows seems to come up with the WRONG sort sequence For example if I'm browsing Mozart... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Mar 26, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows Sort sequence irritant -- wrong sequence

Hi there

when browsing through tagged music files Windows seems to come up with the WRONG sort sequence

For example if I'm browsing Mozart

Mozart symphonies /CD 1
    Mozart symphonies /CD 10
    ------- /CD 14
    Mozart symphonies /CD 2
    Mozart symphonies /CD 3

What I want is for the list to be displayed as /CD 1
    /CD 2 ....../.CD 10 etc.

Excel also hoses it up too

any ideas on how to fix this without a whole slew of file / track re-tagging / re-numbering.

Seems bonkers to have 10-19, 20-29 etc displayed before 2, 3 etc. I don't want to renumber a whole slew of stuff to for example /CD 01 etc to force sequence correction. I've about 1.7 TB worth of tagged music files !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 26, 2017

2. Sorting contacts on 6600 Slide after firmware update

Oh dear! (or is it just me!)

I spent some time working with PC Suite and THOUGHT I'd got everything working right (connection to PC via CABLE).

So I backed up the phone to the PC and ran the phone firmware update. Everything seemed to go OK and when the phone restarted everything (inc Contacts) was left empty.

Then I reloaded the phone from the backup and that seemed to go OK too.

Then I received a few calls and messages and used the Contacts function to check details of a caller. Whoops apocalypse: contact entry seemed to have disappeared ALTHOUGH the right name came up on the call log! Then I scrolled further down the list and
    found that the Contact list on the phone was scrambled into the wrong sequence.

So I connected the phone back on to PC Suite and opened up the Contacts list on the PC. Yup - all there but the sorting sequence is all over the place. Sort on the PC display and everything is all right again. BUT how do I get the re-sorted list back onto
    the phone???

Another side-effect of the backup -update - reload process is that now scrolling down the Contacts list (still in the wrong sequence) is MUCH slower than it was before.

I've searched the messages here for clues but nothing relevant came up using keywords like 'contact' and 'sequence'.

Before I mess things up further, can someone offer advice on the best way out of this. Specifically, how to (safely) re-sort the Contacts on the phone OR how to upload to the PC, sort and then download the new sequence back to the hone?

veryirritated, Mar 26, 2017
  3. People App Sorting Anomaly

I have found a strange anomaly in the way the People App sorts titles. If I put a Dr. title in front of the first name of a doctor, sometimes it is sorted into the D's and sometime it is sorted into first or last name sequence. I would actually like to
    be able to reproduce the sequence where it is sorted by Ds so that all doctors are put into the same area. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

RobertLBradley, Mar 26, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

It has always been this way - it is called lexicographical sorting ie text is sorted from left to right. No easy way round it without 3rd party apps.

Basically, sub ten numbers have to be numbered xxxx01, xxxx02 etc ie with a leading zero (or two zeros for sub one hundred if more than one hundred,three if more than 1000 and so on).

cereberus, Mar 26, 2017
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Mar 26, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@cereberus

On my NAS server there's no problem - It's just Windows / File explorer hoses it up.

Also if a Directory / Folder / file / track name etc is longer than around 200 chars then File explorer can't handle it at all !!!!!

Here's what I believe something like it Should look like. (From my NAS server)

Windows Sort sequence irritant -- wrong sequence [​IMG]

These files > 200 chars can't be handled by File explorer -- Why should I rename them - the tracks etc are descriptive of the content.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 27, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    @Ztruker- the GP still exists in '10 so should work- and does. Thanks.

Presumably path length restriction. If they are as long as that, wouldn't you have other problems with them?

Good musical taste.. hope you've got some good speakers.

dalchina, Mar 27, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Sure - Different software using different basis.

Windows has always used lexicographical sorting since day 1. All computer systems in old days used that basis (dates back to mainframe days)

Just for clarity, lexicographical sorting does not consider numeric numbers. Numbers are just treated as letters - sorting is in effect on the ascii value of characters from left to right (but clever enough to handle A and a as the same letter). As numbers have ascii numbers lower than letters, this means file names starting with numbers will be before file names starting with a (A).

In essence, it is an overstatement to say Windows hoses it - it just works on a different basis. In the end, I doubt Windows will ever change.

If the regedit proposed works, fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re. length - long filenames are supposed to be in W10 now but .....

You can fudge long file name by mapping a root drive to be a long path.

Z:\ = C:\dir1\dir2\dir3\......dir n\

A bit of a hassle but it works.

cereberus, Mar 27, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Doesn't look like long file names are supported- I just tried creating a couple of 262 characters.

If your file name + folder path < 255, then adding characters to the file name stops at the path limit.

Couldn't rename one that exceeded the limit- and I had file explorer crash trying to do so.

dalchina, Mar 27, 2017
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@cereberus and @dalchina

Thanks for replies - but :

BTW the regedit doesn't fix the problem of File explorer not showing long names.

Long file names will fail on any software relying on Windows / File explorer -- so for example browsing a directory to play a file with say VLC will fail -- or at the best it will truncate the file to something unrecognizeable but sill actually play.

For example

Will need some way without renaming stuff to be able to serve this music up to Windows clients though without a mega rename operation !!!.

My smart TV handles the files OK but I suppose that's because it's an Android based type system with no historical limit on files (based on the old DOS 8.3 format) which Windows still uses - even though we are well into C21 now !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 27, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it's not specified or expected to do so- merely change the sort order rule.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Sort sequence irritant -- wrong sequence - Similar Threads - Sort sequence irritant

2. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot sequence: Is there a downloadable tool out there, that will allow me to follow my Windows 10 boot sequence? My PC seems to freeze up during the boot sequence somewhere. I remember with the older versions of Windows, there was a way to follow the boot sequence....
  3. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot sequence: Is there a downloadable tool out there, that will allow me to follow my Windows 10 boot sequence? My PC seems to freeze up during the boot sequence somewhere. I remember with the older versions of Windows, there was a way to follow the boot sequence....
  4. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Scanning order or sequence

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scanning order or sequence: g photos sing Windows Fax & Scan, I would like photos to stay in the order they were scanned ? The are automatically saving in i'm assuming the size of the scan....
  6. beeping sequence

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    beeping sequence: I have a 5 beep sequence that I cannot figure out. everything operates fine other than this beeping https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/beeping-sequence/e85df9e6-7d66-4ca9-b11a-858970db7343
  7. SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong: On Update 1803 it completely trashed my setup. I had windows 10 on my 500gb Crucial SSD and my original HDD was a storage drive. When I went to update to 1803 I was then informed that I didn't have enough space on my SSD to perform and update.... which was strange since...
  8. EXCEL sort sequence

in Microsoft Office and 365
    EXCEL sort sequence: Hi there I'm trying to create a list of Movies in my DB in alphabetical order with folders A,B,C etc. Is there a way to store for example "The Day the earth Stood Still - 1951" in D ignoring the word "THE" in the sort sequence if it's the first word of the film title. I...
  9. Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence

in Windows 10 Support
    Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence: I was checking out the collating sequence on Windows 7 for a friend and found this post on SevenForums: Numerical Sorting in Windows Explorer - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums Curious, I decided to give it a go on W10 even though this computer did not have the...
  10. Sequence of desktop windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Sequence of desktop windows: I recently used the win7 to win10 update program. Went well with no problems. However I am confused on what is shown on the screen. When I boot up an old style Windows 7 desk top appears with all the icons and sort cuts and the task bar has an "Ask me anything" entry box. If...