Windows 10: Windows Sound Bar Icon will not allow sound to be adjusted

Discus and support Windows Sound Bar Icon will not allow sound to be adjusted in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello All, I need help with an odd sound bug on my machine. I get an icon that appears on my desktop that pops up at random times after a restart.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bpatters69, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Windows Sound Bar Icon will not allow sound to be adjusted

Hello All,

I need help with an odd sound bug on my machine. I get an icon that appears on my desktop that pops up at random times after a restart. Sometimes its a few minutes, other times it appears after an hour or longer. I will provide a picture of the icon so you can see what it is. The problem is once it pops up, I can no longer adjust my sound and my sound is muted. The icon is particularly annoying because it cannot be minimized or closed so I have to navigate around it as it blocks access to menus on windows.

Here is the little bugger:

Windows Sound Bar Icon will not allow sound to be adjusted [​IMG]

I contacted Microsoft after I ran their troubleshooting program and the rep told me to contact my Mobo manufacturer which is AS Rock. The rep at AS Rock told me to reinstall the driver from Realtek which I did. Here is the link they gave me:

Realtek HD Audio 2.82 driver download

When the updated driver did not work, ASRock told me to install a dedicated sound card like Soundblaster because my Motherboard\Build in driver for Realtek is not compatible with Windows 10.

I have been running Windows 10 for at least a year, maybe 2 and this popup has only appeared in the last 3 months. Here is a list of what I think is causing the popup. In no particular order.

1. One of the Windows 10 updates
    2. I installed the Windows 10 App that links my cell phone to my PC and then removed it as it was awful
    3. Some wacky spyware

Of the 3 suspects, #2 seems most plausible too me. I noticed that my cell phone at times would disable audio and whenever I tried to turn the audio up, my cell phone would reduce the audio until it was muted. I did connect my phone to my PC so who knows what garbage it unloaded on my PC. I have since removed the awful Windows 10 app and any references to my phone under Bluetooth devices. I believe I even ran some total clean up app to remove the Windows 10 Phone app.

I did go into Device Manager and I noticed that there are two instances of "High Definition Audio" under sound, video and game controllers. Here is a snapshot:

If I disable the second instance or uninstall it, the annoying pop up goes away. I cannot adjust my sounds however and when I try to adjust it, Windows launches the assistant to try to help my find a solution. There is no solution and I have to uninstall the 2nd instance and then do a restart. Sound is restored after the restart but eventually the pop up occurs and my sound is muted.

The details for either instance are the same under properties:

Anyone have any ideas?

I will buy a Sound Card if that is an easy fix. I guess if I use a dedicated sound card, I will be using a different driver than RealTek so potentially the problem will go away. At least that is my thinking.

I did try a restore but that did not help.

Here is information about my PC:

Thanks, Bill

:)

bpatters69, Jan 30, 2021
  2. del1000 Win User

sound volume icon on right side task bar will not allow sound adjustment . WHY?

Since Windows 10 update, February 2018, the sound volume icon on right side task bar will not allow sound adjustment . WHY?

Can I fix it? What should I do?

Typical Microsoft, updates sabotaging OS Windows. There is always trouble of some sort after updates. I am sick of it.

I am seriously thinking of going the Linux route.

How do I get an answer to my questions?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

del1000, Jan 30, 2021
  3. David Haz Win User
    sound volume icon on right side task bar will not allow sound adjustment . WHY?

Hello,

If you are unable to adjust the volume on your computer, it could be that the sound card drivers are outdated, or that a process is service is conflicting with that functionality of Windows.

As a first troubleshooting step, we recommend that you run the Audio troubleshooter and let Windows find and automatically resolve problems with your audio. Here's how to run the troubleshooter:

• Press the Start button, then type troubleshoot, and then select
      Troubleshoot from the search results.
    • Select Playing audio > Run the troubleshooter.

If running the troubleshooter does not help resolve the problem, kindly open Device Manager and update your sound card drivers. Updating would replace any outdated components of the driver and may resolve any issues with your audio. Here's how:

• Press the Start button, then type device manager, and select
      Device Manager from the search results.
    • Under Sound, video and game controllers, right-click your sound card.
    • Under the Driver tab, select Update Driver.
    • Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you may look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions on how to install the driver.

If the above steps does not help, do not hesitate to post back to us.

David Haz, Jan 30, 2021
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Windows Sound Bar Icon will not allow sound to be adjusted

Streaming video, sound adjust automatically

Hi Dannowa12,

Corrupted or outdated drivers may be the possible reason why the sound adjusted automatically. To efficiently assist you, kindly answer the following questions below:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Does this happen only when streaming videos?

In the meantime, I suggest you follow these methods to troubleshoot your laptop:

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • Change View by from Category to Small Icons/Large Icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Select Hardware and Devices and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: I suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot sound problems.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

Windows Sound Bar Icon will not allow sound to be adjusted

1. Windows Sound Bar Icon will not allow sound to be adjusted - Similar Threads - Sound Bar Icon

2. Sound adjustment icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound adjustment icon: The icon on the task bar for sound adjustment does not open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-adjustment-icon/7d9fff11-d541-49cb-8427-5bd2503f1874
  3. Sound icon and sound

Sound icon and sound: In the taskbar settings if I enable "show all icons in notification area" the sound icon appears with a red x. If i put the pointer on it, it mentions "audio service not working" but despite those indications all sounds works great. If I disable it, the icon appears...
  4. NO sound allowed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NO sound allowed: Unless i unplug my HMDI and plug back in my HDMI while the machine is running. I go through all the options looking for the speakers and can not find it until i do this process. I will have perfect video with no audio and no option to switch my audio output device and there...
  5. Sound issues -- adjustments?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound issues -- adjustments?: A friend of mine finds that his sound is uneven. If he plays, for example, a YouTube video, his sound might be perfector, annoyingly, too low and adjusting the volume to 100% still doesnt work well. Is there any other adjustment worth trying? (W10 Pro 20H2) Mel 171923
  6. Sound issues -- adjustments?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sound issues -- adjustments?: A friend of mine finds that his sound is uneven. If he plays, for example, a YouTube video, his sound might be perfector, annoyingly, too low and adjusting the volume to 100% still doesnt work well. Is there any other adjustment worth trying? (W10 Pro 20H2) Mel 171923
  7. Sound adjustment

Sound adjustment: How to adjust treble & bass sounds mixer. Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-adjustment/1735b9ea-579b-4524-81b4-7c7c75c0fdd2
  8. Sound Bar

Sound Bar: Hi, so when im on youtube or something i have the regular sound bar and its working fine but next to it has a little section thag displays the video title or whos channel its from. Its very annoying and i cant find any settings on how to get rid of it. Any help?...
  9. Sound bar

Sound bar: Hello, I am rather irritated as whenever I am playing an audio on ANY application I get a box that takes up a fourth of the screen and doesn't go away for 5-10 seconds so if anybody could tell me how to get rid of this it would be greatly appreciated [ATTACH]...
  10. Sound/ Sound Bar

Sound/ Sound Bar: So my when i got my laptop, it was working fine, after a while the sound stopped working, i clicked on the sound bar and tried trouble shooting it but it keeps saying detecting problem, then it says solving problem, but it take forever, i waited at least 30 minutes, and...