Windows 10: Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo

Discus and support Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Nearly every time I go to play something I have to right click on the sound icon in the toolbar and reselect ATMOS. Windows constantly sets the sound... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DeanS23, Aug 17, 2022.

1. DeanS23 Win User

Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo

Nearly every time I go to play something I have to right click on the sound icon in the toolbar and reselect ATMOS. Windows constantly sets the sound output to STEREO.I have seen this question asked several times and each time the suggestion is to re-install the sound drivers.This is happening though if using onboard Realtek sound. Sound Blaster cards. Or HDMI into a receiver.It happens with 5.1, 7.1 or ATMOS.No one has ever said that re-installing the drivers help, yet all the threads have been locked with no resolution.Given it is happening between so many types of sound outputs, which all u

:)

DeanS23, Aug 17, 2022
  2. cadaveca Win User

Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo :p

cadaveca, Aug 17, 2022
  3. MisterEd Win User
    Stereo Bluetooth Headphones do not reproduce stereo sound

Bluetooth 4.x headsets (headphones with microphone) have two modes:
    1. Stereo headset speakers with NO microphone
    2. Mono headset speakers with microphone

I see in the listing for your headphones it shows a microphone. Make sure your the audio is configured correctly so that you have stereo headphone speakers.

With your headphones connected with Bluetooth

Left-click on little speaker (bottom right on desktop)

Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo [​IMG]

You should see current speaker for computer
    In this example headphones in stereo is selected

If you click on Headphones you will bring up all options

To see more…
    Right-click on little speaker (bottom right on desktop)

Select Sounds from list

If you want Stereo Headphones but NO microphone

Select Playback tab
    Make sure Headphones is the current playback device

Select Recording tab
    Make sure Microphone array (or similar) is the current recording device

MisterEd, Aug 17, 2022
  4. ogui Win User

Bioshock and No sound? WTF?

Bioshock 1 Sound Problem Fix in Windows 7

To fix the sound problem in Bioshock 1 under Windows 7, all you need to do is to ENABLE "Stereo Mix" in the Sound

Settings of Windows 7.

Step-by-Step Solution:

1. Access your system Sound Recording Settings
    In your status bar, right-click on the sound/speaker and select "Recording devices".
    OR
    (Alternatively, access the setting by click on Windows "Start Menu" > "Control Panel" > "Hardware and Sound" > click on link "Manage audio devices" under section "Sound" > click on the tab named "Recording" )

2. Enable Stereo Mix (see screenshot)
    Right click in the list of "recording device" where you should see "Microphone", "Line in", maybe "CD Audio".
    In the context menu, Tick the line called "Show Disabled Devices".
    Now you should seed "Stereo Mix" as a new Device.
    Right click on Stereo Mix and click on the first option of the context menu "Enable".

3. Disable Microphone, LineIn, CD*Audio
    There was an echo / reverb effect going on in the game which wasn't related to the in-game Reverb setting (OFF). I think the windows recording settings where creating feedback loop, so I disabled Microphone, LineIn and CD Audio and voilà! Problem was gone.

This is it, Bioshock should work.
    You can also take the time to review the options in "Stereo Mix Properties", for example I set Default Format to

2 channel, 16bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) in the advanced tab, just enforce quality.

Description of the Problem:
    • Once a game is loaded, there is no sound at all in Bioshock 1.
    • When I start Bioshock 1 under Windows 7, I can ear the background music in the main game menu, but there's no "on click" sound effect when clicking on the menu entries. That's a sign that the sound will not work after loading a game, not point wasting further time.
    Summary of things that didn't work for me:
    • Using compatibility mode ( 2000, XP SP2 or SP3) does not work ( game freezes at menu)
    • Installing Rapture3D drivers doesn't change anything
    • Reinstalling latest sound drivers or using Win7 native drivers is not necessary
    • Pluging-in earphones or microphone into the linein/mike inputs didn't work for me
    Hope this post will save you time to enjoy the game.

ogui

Thema:

1. Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo - Similar Threads - sound keeps changing

2. Sound reverts away from stereo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound reverts away from stereo: With today's Windows 11 update, SoundBlaster is is heavy bass, little treble. Dictation is not clear, mumbled.Why and how can I change it back to clear audio?...
  3. Sound reverts away from stereo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound reverts away from stereo: With today's Windows 11 update, SoundBlaster is is heavy bass, little treble. Dictation is not clear, mumbled.Why and how can I change it back to clear audio?...
  4. Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo: Nearly every time I go to play something I have to right click on the sound icon in the toolbar and reselect ATMOS. Windows constantly sets the sound output to STEREO.I have seen this question asked several times and each time the suggestion is to re-install the sound...
  5. Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows sound keeps changing sound settings and reverting to stereo: Nearly every time I go to play something I have to right click on the sound icon in the toolbar and reselect ATMOS. Windows constantly sets the sound output to STEREO.I have seen this question asked several times and each time the suggestion is to re-install the sound...
  6. Windows keeps reverting advanced sound settings to the wrong quality

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows keeps reverting advanced sound settings to the wrong quality: Whenever I startup my system, the sound quality always changes to "2 Channel, 24 bit, 44100 Hz DVD Quality" on both my microphone and Speaker. The Sound quality that usually works is "2 channel, 32 bit, 48000 Hz Studio Quality". This isn't just limited to startup... this can...
  7. Windows 10 sound is not in stereo

Windows 10 sound is not in stereo: I am a musician and use my computer for rehearsing, recording, and other audio tasks. I just got a new computer with windows 10 and set it up to work with my Tascam UH-7000 audio interface and Yamaha HS8 speakers. The problem that I am having is that when I am performing...
  8. No "stereo mix" option in sound settings

No "stereo mix" option in sound settings: I was going to make a linux virtual machine using VMware. That was easy, however, in the virual machine, when I tried to play audio, it wouldn't work. I searched for some solutions and they said to enable stereo mix in the sound settings. However when I went to my settings, I...
  9. stereo mixer sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    stereo mixer sound: since last windows update i cant play sound in chat rooms. i had no problem before update, i update sound driver and ran troubleshooting sound, still nothing i do have sound, play music but once enable stereo mixer , its horrible, i rolled back driver etc done everything...
  10. sound settings revert to defaults

in Windows 10 Support
    sound settings revert to defaults: I've set the audio settings and saved them SEVERAL times. I know how to do it correctly. Windows 10 will not save my settings. They revert to the defaults. When I select any of my saved schemes, every sound is the default. AARRGGHH!! *Mad 29207