Windows 10: Windows Spotlight - Erratic Behaviour

Discus and support Windows Spotlight - Erratic Behaviour in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Rather than add to the very long discussion threads on the subject of Windows Spotlight, I'm starting another to ask others whether they are... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by TrevorFayers, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Windows Spotlight - Erratic Behaviour

Rather than add to the very long discussion threads on the subject of Windows Spotlight, I'm starting another to ask others whether they are experiencing Spotlight behaving erratically of late.

Following problems some time ago with Spotlight not downloading and showing new images on the lock screen, I ran the 'Reset_and_re-register_Windows_Spotlight.bat' (available through other links in the Community) and have re-run that a few times, since, when Spotlight didn't download or show new images for a number of days. That utility fixes Spotlight for me, at least for a number of weeks or months.

More recently, ever since shutting down my Surface every workday evening and weekend, Spotlight has invariably downloaded new images and shown a new image every weekday that I turn the Surface on.

In the last couple of weeks, however, I have noticed that the advert text and the 'I like it/Not a fan' text doesn't always appear every day on the lock screen. Shutting down and restarting or switching the Lock screen setting to picture and back to windows spotlight during the day when the text doesn't appear doesn't fix that, but a new image and text appears the next day (I've also very recently had this issue on another of my laptops). Then, this week, despite my daily shutdown routine, new images have not been downloaded every day, but every other day, and a new image doesn't appear every day on the lock screen. Have others experienced this of late, if so please let me know?

:)

TrevorFayers, Apr 4, 2019

2. Surface Pro 3 - Erratic cursor and window behaviour

I experience intermittent erratic cursor behaviour on my Surface Pro 3. Any open windows also reduce in size and expand again. I keep the computer updated and have switched locations to avoid any external interference.

I've read various reports on Touchscreen drives and updates etc but nothing seems to cure this erratic behaviour. Any suggestions?

Joe McDonnell (joe), Apr 4, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Spotlight

Hi,

Windows spotlight is an option for the lock screen background that displays different background images and occasionally offers suggestions on the lock screen. For us to better isolate your concern, we'd like to gather more information:

• Is there a way for you to provide us a screenshot?
    • Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Are you able to use spotlight before?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow these steps to modify Lock screen background to spotlight:

• Open Settings.
    • Click Personalization and select Lock screen.
    • Under Background, choose Windows spotlight.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Apr 4, 2019
  4. sad-icus Win User

Windows Spotlight - Erratic Behaviour

Win 10 Pro erratic strange behaviour

Win 10 Pro v1703 OSB 15063.296 all app and software drivers are current.

Tablet mode is disabled = "always ask before switching"

Only a complete restart helps, and sometimes win 10 works as expected for a few hours, then the erratic behaviour comes back.

Login and after sitting idle 30min:

• Desktop icons some lose their text.
    • LM click + drag on any desktop icon = duplicate icon
    • RM = no menu
    • Typing into web browser = open random menu

sad-icus, Apr 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows Spotlight - Erratic Behaviour

1. Windows Spotlight - Erratic Behaviour - Similar Threads - Spotlight Erratic Behaviour

2. Windows machine experiencing sudden shutdowns/black screens and erratic behaviour :...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows machine experiencing sudden shutdowns/black screens and erratic behaviour :...: 0x800f0805 Windows update errorAfter we collected the logs from the Windows machines, like UC Engine/NUCs, we discovered the same error on seven different sites, which is causing weird behavior on these machines and causing user inconvenience,and questioning the reliability...
  3. Windows spotLight behaviour is illogical

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows spotLight behaviour is illogical: Hello, I'm somewhat annoyed by Windows Spotlight, because it asks me if I like the wallpaper it is displaying. When I reply 'No' it will give me another wallpaper, which I might like or not. However if I select 'No' a couple of times not being a troll but actually not into...
  4. Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour: Posted on Microsoft Community, but all I got was "update your system", "run the troubleshooter", and "run sfc". Here's my problem: Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it...
  5. Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

in Cortana
    Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour: Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it gets the job done and sometimes it does not. One example of problem: https://streamable.com/c5tlkq I turn on my laptop, press Win,...
  6. Sleeping and Hibernating with Issues and Erratic Behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleeping and Hibernating with Issues and Erratic Behaviour: All or any of the following situations can happened when I try to put my computer either in sleep or hibernate mode. The computer seldom enters and stays in sleeping or hibernate mode until I awake it; The computer enters in sleeping or hibernate, stays for from a few...
  7. Erratic, jerky mouse behaviour

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Erratic, jerky mouse behaviour: I'm using a Microsoft Windows wireless mouse with a Surface Pro. It's behaved perfectly until recently, when it suddenly has become erratic and jerky so I have difficulty in selecting icons, text, etc. I have cleaned my mouse thoroughly, replaced the batteries, powered it...
  8. Wireless mouse erratic behaviour after the latest update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless mouse erratic behaviour after the latest update.: My wireless mouse is jumping the lines and goes back from its position and skips lines on its own.This is something new that I am experiencing after the latest window update on my new Dell laptop with windows 10 in built....
  9. Delete key erratic behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete key erratic behaviour: I am embarrassed to bring this up because win 10 is such an incredible and smooth experience with all the cortona stuff and your applications getting blocked by windows for your protection. I was on a night shift all alone and i was sort of half conscious installing my apps...
  10. Erratic standby behaviour in spite of settings...

in Windows 10 Support
    Erratic standby behaviour in spite of settings...: I have set my computer to go into standby after 30 minutes of inactivity (battery) or 45 minutes (power), but it is going into standby after 2 or 3 minutes. The screensaver is set to start after 30 minutes. I think I've double-checked every possibile option. I recently had...