Windows 10: Windows Spotlight - Lock Screen image will not show on Sign-In Screen

Discus and support Windows Spotlight - Lock Screen image will not show on Sign-In Screen in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all, I haven't posted here before, so hopefully it's not breaching etiquette to jump straight to the question! I'm running Windows 10 Home version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by musiclover99, May 2, 2020.

1. Windows Spotlight - Lock Screen image will not show on Sign-In Screen

Hi all,

I haven't posted here before, so hopefully it's not breaching etiquette to jump straight to the question! I'm running Windows 10 Home version 1903 (Build 18362.778) on a desktop computer.

A while ago, I installed DisplayFusion to help support wallpaper rotation and multiple taskbars on a triple monitor setup, and while exploring the options, I ticked the box that said "Allow DisplayFusion to manage the Windows Lock Screen'. This allowed me to set a custom image for the windows sign-in screen when cold-booting the computer, as well as the lock screen.

I've now unchecked this box, and I've been able to re-enable Windows Spotlight to manage the lock screen - that's the one I see after I've logged in, and then press Windows+L. This works fine. However, when cold-booting or locking the screen, the Spotlight image will not show on the sign-on screen (where the password/PIN is entered) no matter what I do. It just shows a flat colour for the whole screen. Just to be completely clear (as there are lots of threads and posts about enabling Spotlight), I've tried the following:

- Tried both 'Off' and 'On' under "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" under Personalisation > Locak Screen.
    - Clearing previous spotlight image caches under %USERPROFILE%/AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Assets
    - Tried renaming and deleting the settings.dat and deleting roaming.lock under %USERPROFILE%/AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\Settings

So, when locking the computer after booting, I *do* see a Spotlight image. However, while on the spotlight image (where I have the overlay of facts and the 'I like'/'I don't like' options, if I press Enter to bring up the 'Enter PIN' dialog, the picture disappears and is replaced by the flat colour.

My only guess is that DisplayFusion has somehow broken whatever file/path would be used to ensure the sign-in screen background displays the same image as the lock screen background - but I can't find it to fix! I have contacted DisplayFusion directly and, although they tried to help, their support team couldn't tell me what part of Windows was changed/overwritten by their software. So I'm reaching out here in the hope that someone on the forums might now where I should look to fix this, as I'm sure it must just be a dead link somewhere in the registry! I'd really not have to do a fresh/repair install unless it's completely necessary.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

:)

musiclover99, May 2, 2020

2. How to fix problems with lock screen images (Windows Spotlight)

This Windows 10 Tip
    highlights the Windows Spotlight setting, which automatically uploads beautiful images of scenery daily from around the world for the background on the lock screen.

What steps should I try if I’m having trouble with Windows Spotlight?
    For example, what should I do if:

• The Windows Spotlight image doesn’t appear on the lock screen.
    • The Windows Spotlight image doesn’t appear on the sign-in screen.
    • The Windows Spotlight option doesn’t appear in my lock screen settings.
    • The Windows Spotlight image isn’t changing. (It shows the same image every day.)

Meliton Dec, May 2, 2020
  3. dacrone Win User
    different lock screen and sign in screen?

Step 2b is labeled as Change the Login Screen Image, but the steps show you how to change the Lock Screen image. Step 2a is irrelevant. It only tells you how to change the desktop background.

What I want to do:
    Set Spotlight as the LOCK Screen Image(s) - Done
    Set the Win 10 Hero Image as the SIGN IN Screen Image - This is the one that shows after you click on the lock screen and you are able to type your password. If I uncheck "Show Lock Screen Image on Sign In Screen", it shows a solid blue background behind my Password box and user image. This is what I want to change to the Hero Image....

dacrone, May 2, 2020
  4. Solaris17 Win User

Windows Spotlight - Lock Screen image will not show on Sign-In Screen

Windows spotlight images (Lock screen)

This is really dumb, but if you are like me and use spotlight for your windows lock screen images, I actually tend to like some of them alot. They rotate it seems every few days but it doesn't seem to delete them as often as it gets new ones.

With that said I couldnt find anything similar online so I made a script that would pull the files from the folder buried in app data that keeps the files. They dont have an extension normally so I append the JPG extension too them.

I create a folder on your desktop called spotlight and copy the files too it then run the conversion.

I didn't spend forever on this so be nice but otherwise;

Enjoy

Code for the crazies:
    Spoiler Code: @Echo off title Spotlight Image Converter cls :checkPrivileges :: Check for Admin by accessing protected stuff. This calls net(#).exe and can stall if we don't kill it later. NET FILE 1>NUL 2>NUL if '%errorlevel%' == '0' ( goto menu) else ( goto getPrivileges ) :getPrivileges :: Write vbs in temp to call batch as admin. if '%1'=='ELEV' (shift & goto menu) for /f "delims=: tokens=*" %%A in ('findstr /b ::- "%~f0"') do @Echo(%%A setlocal DisableDelayedExpansion set "batchPath=%~0" setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion Echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs" Echo UAC.ShellExecute "!batchPath!", "ELEV", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs" "%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs" exit /B :menu Echo Windows 10 Lock screen image converter Echo. Echo Brought to you by Solaris17 of TPU Echo. Echo This will make a folder on your desktop called "Spotlight" Echo. Echo It will copy the lockscreen images to the folder then convert them to JPEG format. Echo. Echo Let me know when you are ready. Echo. Pause goto copy :copy @echo off CLS Echo. Echo Converting and copy in progress... Echo. mkdir %userprofile%\Desktop\Spotlight > nul 2>&1 timeout 5 >nul robocopy %userprofile%\appdata\local\packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Assets\ %userprofile%\Desktop\Spotlight /copyall /E > nul 2>&1 ren %userprofile%\Desktop\Spotlight\* *.jpg > nul 2>&1 Echo Done!! Echo. pause[/quote]

Solaris17, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows Spotlight - Lock Screen image will not show on Sign-In Screen

1. Windows Spotlight - Lock Screen image will not show on Sign-In Screen - Similar Threads - Spotlight Lock Screen

2. Black screen on lock screen with no image Corrupted Windows Spotlight

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen on lock screen with no image Corrupted Windows Spotlight: Whenever I turn on my laptop with Windows 11, I get a blank screen. The display is responsive. I have control over the cursor. There is no issue to log in. BUT The only issue is that when I turn on my laptop, I get a black screen instead of the Microsoft Windows Spotlight...
  3. Black screen on lock screen with no image Corrupted Windows Spotlight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen on lock screen with no image Corrupted Windows Spotlight: Whenever I turn on my laptop with Windows 11, I get a blank screen. The display is responsive. I have control over the cursor. There is no issue to log in. BUT The only issue is that when I turn on my laptop, I get a black screen instead of the Microsoft Windows Spotlight...
  4. Showing lock screen on sign-in makes lock screen image black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Showing lock screen on sign-in makes lock screen image black: When I turn on the setting "Show the lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" under personisation, the lock screen bbackground picture will just be black. Here's an example:Setting ONSetting OFFMy laptop: ASUS TUF Gaming F15Other info: Factory reset 8 days ago...
  5. Showing lock screen on sign-in makes lock screen image black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Showing lock screen on sign-in makes lock screen image black: When I turn on the setting "Show the lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" under personisation, the lock screen bbackground picture will just be black. Here's an example:Setting ONSetting OFFMy laptop: ASUS TUF Gaming F15Other info: Factory reset 8 days ago...
  6. Windows 10 Lock Screen Spotlight Image

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Lock Screen Spotlight Image: Dear Sir, I found some descriptive mistake in northern coast of Madagascar. Original text "This wide bay on the northern coast of Madagascar is a breeding ground for thousands of humpback whaleswho winter in the warmwaters of the Indian Ocean. The coral reefs, estuaries,...
  7. About saving lock screen image of spotlight

About saving lock screen image of spotlight: I like my windows 10 lock screen wallpaper very much. So.i want to save the background image of windows spotlight as image format. So how i do this...
  8. Lock screen spotlight but for own images

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lock screen spotlight but for own images: Hey guys, does anybody know if it is possible to have a daily rotation of lock screen images like the Windows spotlight but from a list I specify? Deadendthrills has an amazing black and white GTA IV images collection and I would love to have them on rotation if anybody is...
  9. Windows 10 spotlight image not showing up on sign-in screen

Windows 10 spotlight image not showing up on sign-in screen: Hi All - I've spent several hours trying to get this to work. I have 2 different accounts on my desktop. One account the same spotlight image is displayed on the sign-on screen and lock screen as expected. On the other account, I have everything set the same, but the...
  10. Windows spotlight lock screen image location

Windows spotlight lock screen image location: Windows spotlight under the lock screen settings set a picture for me that I'd like to make permanent. Unfortunately it will change when the new windows spotlight picture is sent out. Does anybody know the save location of this image file so I can set it as my permanent lock...