Windows 10: windows start and apps won't open

Discus and support windows start and apps won't open in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I upgraded to Fall Creators Update last week along with the cumulative update (16299.19). All has gone well until last night. When I turned on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dsmith888, Oct 30, 2017.

1. dsmith888 Win User

windows start and apps won't open

I upgraded to Fall Creators Update last week along with the cumulative update (16299.19). All has gone well until last night. When I turned on the computer my start button as well as windows key is unresponsive as is Microsoft Edge from the task bar. Right click the start button does work however. sfc /scannow indicates no problems. non store apps work eg Google Chrome. Suggestions welcome on how to fix this preferably without a re-install. Thanks

:)

dsmith888, Oct 30, 2017
  2. HerbHern Win User

Photos and Film & TV apps won't start, Windows Store won't open

Please help.

Photos app won't start.

Film & TV app won't start.

Windows store won't open.

I already tried troubleshooting the windows store apps but nothing worked.

HerbHern, Oct 30, 2017
  3. Windows Calculator on Windows 10 doesn't work

I uninstalled, reinstalled per instructions and the calculator will still no open. No error, the app just won't start. Even clicking the app on the start menu won't open. Very frustrating that such a simple thing on windows 10 does not work!!!

GregWunderlich, Oct 30, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

Try creating another account and see if the problem persists. Else try restoring to an earlier time when the PC was working, recover from a backup or do an in place repair install.

Steve C, Oct 31, 2017
Thema:

1. windows start and apps won't open - Similar Threads - start apps won't

2. Apps won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps won't open: Alright.at first everything was running smoothly I got to download spotify and use all apps.however at one point I could no longer open MS.i would click on the icon and it would show the little loading thing but the actual app would not load up.Then I coulnt open up my serch...
  3. Windows apps won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows apps won't open: Windows Store, Photos, Feedback Hub won't open. When opening Photos app it says "The app didn't start" in pop-up. Because Windows Store won't open I tried several fixes people online suggested including running wsreset.exe but it didn't work either and instead the same "The...
  4. Apps won't open.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Apps won't open.: Hello, I restarted my computer yesterday, and when it came back, everything on my desktop had gone, and my background had reset. I fixed that, but now an error pops up when I try to open a picture, and there is a white line under the apps that don't work. [ATTACH] What is...
  5. Windows apps won't open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows apps won't open: Does anyone have a solution for this problem?? My windows apps (Microsoft store,Camera,3D Viewer,Mail, Windows Media Player,Cortana,Groove Music,Maps) refuse to open. This problem occurs for most apps that are just prebuilt into windows or downloaded through Microsoft Store....
  6. WINDOWS APPS WON'T OPEN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WINDOWS APPS WON'T OPEN: Does anyone have a solution for this problem?? My windows apps (Microsoft store,Camera,3D Viewer,Mail, Windows Media Player,Cortana,Groove Music,Maps) refuse to open. This problem occurs for most apps that are just prebuilt into windows or downloaded through Microsoft Store....
  7. apps won't open

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    apps won't open: idk why my apps won't open, i tried clean boot, i followed the steps and it turns out that the issue is not caused by application or service interference but still the winsock error/ application error still popping out. What should I do? ps: the apps that are not opening:...
  8. Apps won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps won't open: Hi! So, I recently updated to windows 10. It's going nice and smoothly for a few months until my sister borrowed it. I don't know if she did anything to it, but she told me that it kept restaring after that. So, she decided to perform system restore hoping that it would fix...
  9. Photos don't open. Says app won't start.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos don't open. Says app won't start.: Hi i put photos as default photo app but when i do photos dont open it says app wont start. If i put it on any other one ie windows live photo gallery photos open. When i put photos as default app i scroll down list but it does not show it. Many thanks james * Moved from...
  10. Start menu doesn't work and apps won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu doesn't work and apps won't open: hi all my start menu doesn't work. clicking on task bar items does not work. (wifi, notifications) opening apps doesn't work. WIN + I or trying to open update from Win + R doesn't work (message "the app didn't open") clicking the search doesn't work. Clicking the windows...