Windows 10: Windows start button and search bar unresponsive, apps from microsoft store are all missing

Discus and support Windows start button and search bar unresponsive, apps from microsoft store are all missing in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Nothing happens when click on start button or the search bar right-clicking the start button still brings up the options, otherwise I cant browse... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by Haz_278, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Haz_278 Win User

Windows start button and search bar unresponsive, apps from microsoft store are all missing

Nothing happens when click on start button or the search bar right-clicking the start button still brings up the options, otherwise I cant browse through my applications from the start button. I have specific apps pinned on my taskbar, but those that were installed from the Microsoft Store eg. Spotify, Skype, To-do list have gone missing. It's just an empty space where they should be. Tried to look for those apps via file explorer, turns out all their exe files are corrupted. Pretty sure the issue has something to do with Microsoft Store services as other apps are still working fine.

Any ideas how to fix this?

:)

Haz_278, Oct 22, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

"Microsoft is sending emails to some Windows Store developers informing them that their apps have been removed from the Store for violating its quality standards."

"Neowin reports that app developers have been receiving these emails over the past couple of days:

In its latest review of the Store, Microsoft is evaluating if the published apps are good enough to be listed in the Windows Store. This includes publicly available apps as well as private beta apps. Additionally, Microsoft is also asking developers to delete any promotional campaigns for their apps to prevent advertising charges. Similarly, app name reservations are also being nullified; which means that if your app is unpublished, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to republish it under the same name.

Officially, the policies for the Microsoft Store says that apps must have "distinct and informative metadata" and "provide a valuable and quality user experience". There are also some specific standards that must be in the apps, including having a name that is not similar to another app or device, along with offering a description that is accurate about its features and functions.

There have certainly been many Windows Store users who have complained over the years about the large number of apps published that are clones of other apps or ones that are simply poorly made. Hopefully, this new move by Microsoft will help to curb these issues, at least for now.
    "

Microsoft to remove low quality apps from Windows Store

P4-630, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Missing icons for Trusted Microsoft Store Apps in Start Menu search and taskbar

Help!

The icons for my Trusted Microsoft Store apps are missing from my start menu when I search for them. They are also missing from my tasbar. I alo notice that icons are missing for files that are associated with these apps are missing.

Any idea on how to solve this?
    <br/><br/>

When Using Search

Searching in the start menu won't show the icon for Trusted Microsoft Store apps. Other app icons are visible in the search.<br/>

Windows start button and search bar unresponsive, apps from microsoft store are all missing YTgT5m.jpg

Windows start button and search bar unresponsive, apps from microsoft store are all missing dU3L3m.jpg

Windows start button and search bar unresponsive, apps from microsoft store are all missing 05vcYm.jpg

<br/>In start menu

The icons for the store apps are visible in the menu when not searching:

Windows start button and search bar unresponsive, apps from microsoft store are all missing tDyrM.png

<br/>Not visible in taskbar either

Here you can see that both the Slack and Store app icons aren't visible on the taskbar:<br/>

Windows start button and search bar unresponsive, apps from microsoft store are all missing PMuiz.png

<br/>No file icons for associated apps

My images are associated with Windows Photos (also a Microsoft Trusted Store App). The aren't showing their icons.

Windows start button and search bar unresponsive, apps from microsoft store are all missing jMbJG.png

<br/>What I've done so far

I've been searching Google and the MS fora for hours now. What I've tried so far:

• Running all Windows Updates
    • Upgrading to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
    • Clearing the general icon cache by deleting C:\Users\[snip]\AppData\Local\IconCache.db
    • Clearing Explorer icon cache by deleting C:\Users\[snip]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\IconCache*.db
    • Re-reregistring all Windows store apps with PowerShell by running: Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Running Disk Clean Up and choosing Clean Up System Files
    • Running WSReset.exe

All to no avail. I hope you guys know a solution.

Kees C. Bakker, Oct 22, 2020
  4. jbailey8 Win User

Windows start button and search bar unresponsive, apps from microsoft store are all missing

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows start button and search bar unresponsive, apps from microsoft store are all missing - Similar Threads - start button search

2. Microsoft Store is missing from windows search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store is missing from windows search: I ran a Windows 10 Debloater, I created multiple system restore points from before the debloating, but there's no change made when I restore back to them.Now Microsoft Store, Xbox Companion App and Xbox App is missing from search, Microsoft Store is still installed on my PC,...
  3. Microsoft Store is missing from windows search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store is missing from windows search: I ran a Windows 10 Debloater, I created multiple system restore points from before the debloating, but there's no change made when I restore back to them.Now Microsoft Store, Xbox Companion App and Xbox App is missing from search, Microsoft Store is still installed on my PC,...
  4. Microsoft Store is missing from windows search

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. The Start button, search bar and all of the icons have disappeared from the task bar on my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Start button, search bar and all of the icons have disappeared from the task bar on my...: I just purchased a HP Omen 30L with a GTX3090 GPU. When I logged in, it would not let me click on the start menu or connect to any wi fi networks. Now the start menu, search bar, and most of the settings have disappeared off of the task bar. How do I fix this?...
  6. Search Bar, Start Bar and apps installed from Microsoft Apps not starting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search Bar, Start Bar and apps installed from Microsoft Apps not starting: So, this issue started two days ago after the Windows installed "2021-05 Cumulative for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB5003173". Since then, I am not able to run any app installed through Microsoft Store. The search bar is also completely unresponsive, so is...
  7. Microsoft apps missing in search bar.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft apps missing in search bar.: Hello, Since some time all Microsoft apps icons such as Microsoft Store, settings, photos and more are missing. [ATTACH] Does anyone know how to fix it? It's really annoying me, I have no clue how to fix it. Thanks...
  8. Windows search bar is unresponsive

in Cortana
    Windows search bar is unresponsive: Today I observed that my windows search bar is not working. Task manager and Service.msc shows searchindexer.exe is working but actually it is not. I ran a microsoft script with powershell and indexing trouble shooter as well. But things are the same till now. Troubleshooter...
  9. Microsoft Store, Cortana, Search Bar, Start Button DO NOT WORK

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store, Cortana, Search Bar, Start Button DO NOT WORK: For whatever reason the microsoft store has been deleted from my PC and I am unable to reinstall it. The search bar, start button, and cortana do not work either. The main issue is getting the microsoft store back but every last solution has failed. This is a problem...
  10. Search Bar Missing From Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Bar Missing From Start Menu: Hello everybody, I am having some trouble with my start menu. Originally, at the bottom there was a search bar. Then I installed Start10, made some changes, and then decided to uninstall the program and go back to the default start menu. The uninstallation required a...