Windows 10: Windows Start button does nothing

Discus and support Windows Start button does nothing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I click on the Windows start button bottom left or if I press the windows start button key on the keyboard nothing happens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RickBylina, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Windows Start button does nothing

When I click on the Windows start button bottom left or if I press the windows start button key on the keyboard nothing happens

:)

RickBylina, Feb 28, 2021

2. Start Button displaying but not working

The start button was working until there was a forced reboot (power failure). Then left click (normal click) over the start button does absolutely nothing. Right click brings up a menu but "programs" and also "settings" are missing and not included on this list. Search or Task View buttons do not work either with "normal" click. Does anyone have any suggestion or fixes?
    Thank you in advance *Huh
    Sue

suejbakula, Feb 28, 2021
  3. twiggs462 Win User
    Start Button Not Working?

What steps should be taken to diagnose a Windows 10 start button not working?

twiggs462, Feb 28, 2021
  4. hellrazor Win User

Windows Start button does nothing

Change the start button picture AKA How to screw Windows up: The Complicated Way

This should (in theory) change the start button, but here goes anyways. I did (or didn't, whatever you want to call it) do this on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Step 1: Get artsy
    Make a sweet picture of a nuclear trefoil from the Duke Nukem website.

Step 2: Rambo, I choose you!
    Grab ResEdit x64, attempt to assume control of C:\Windows, and Explorer.exe - I apparently had trouble doing this right. Plan B: Copy Explorer.exe elsewhere.

Step 3: Take the safety off
    Open new Explorer.exe with ResEdit, delete pictures 6801, 6805, and 6809, add the sweet trefoil 3 times (interesting...), rename one picture to 6801, the next to 6805, the last to 6809 (making sure that each of them are "English (United States)"). Save. Don't attempt to run the new Explorer.exe to see if it works.

Step 4: Pop a few shots
    Attempt to write over the original Explorer.exe.

Step 5: Miss
    Windows says I have to get permission to do that.

Step 6: Grab a bigger gun
    Pop into Linux, teach Windows a thing or two.

Step 7: Complain about the giant hole in your forehead
    Start Windows, around this time you should be greeted by a black screen and a message that says that Explorer.exe has crashed; if not, you are unlucky *Smile Windows Start button does nothing :)

Step 8: Grab a band-aid
    Curse like a sailor. Pop back into Linux, notice that there are Explorer.exe.1 and Explorer.exe.2 in the Windows folder. Delete FUBARed Explorer.exe, rename Explorer.exe.2 to Explorer.exe.

All in all, nothing was lost. If anybody knows how to do it correctly, do tell.

hellrazor, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

Windows Start button does nothing

1. Windows Start button does nothing - Similar Threads - Start button does

2. Windows 11 Shutdown button does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Shutdown button does nothing: I have a new Windows 11 system that otherwise functions perfectly fine, but occasionally fails to shut down as follows:When I click Start > Shutdown, nothing happens. The user is not logged out, no error messages are given, no progress indicator appears. It is as if the...
  3. Windows 11 Shutdown button does nothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Shutdown button does nothing: I have a new Windows 11 system that otherwise functions perfectly fine, but occasionally fails to shut down as follows:When I click Start > Shutdown, nothing happens. The user is not logged out, no error messages are given, no progress indicator appears. It is as if the...
  4. "Start tagging" button in Windows 11 Photos Legacy does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Start tagging" button in Windows 11 Photos Legacy does nothing: This thread is probably classified under the wrong Product, but I'm not sure where else to put it.I'm on the most recent version of Windows 11, Automatic Updated as of yesterday December 18. When I go to the People tab in Photos Legacy 2022.31110.30002.0, the "Start tagging...
  5. "Start tagging" button in Windows 11 Photos Legacy does nothing

"Start tagging" button in Windows 11 Photos Legacy does nothing: This thread is probably classified under the wrong Product, but I'm not sure where else to put it.I'm on the most recent version of Windows 11, Automatic Updated as of yesterday December 18. When I go to the People tab in Photos Legacy 2022.31110.30002.0, the "Start tagging...
  6. Windows Store Install Button Does Nothing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Store Install Button Does Nothing: Earlier I bought Forza and tried to install it. I changed the drive from "C:" to "D:" because I didn't have enough space to store it. When I click the install button it doesn't do anything. However, when I try installing it on another drive it works fine. I've tried...
  7. Install Button Does Nothing

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Install Button Does Nothing: Earlier I bought Forza and tried to install it. I changed the drive from "C:" to "D:" because I didn't have enough space to store it. When I click the install button it doesn't do anything. However, when I try installing it on another drive it works fine. I've tried...
  8. Windows Store 'Install' Button Does Nothing.

Windows Store 'Install' Button Does Nothing.: I've been trying to install Nvidia Control Panel and Realtek Audio Console for the past few months after getting my laptop Dell XPS 15 9570 and after going to the Windows Store, I click the install button and intially everything just freezes and it doesn't work anymore so I'm...
  9. Windows Store "Get" button does nothing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Store "Get" button does nothing: I'm on a desktop system, Windows 10 Home Version 1909, OS build 18363.592, and I'm trying to download Ubuntu from the Windows Store. Steps I've taken, in order: Signed out and back in with my Windows Store login WSReset.exe with Command Prompt as administrator Uninstalled...
  10. Clicking Start Button does nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    Clicking Start Button does nothing: My Win10 Home 64 bit computer was working correctly yesterday. Today there was one notification which just showed 'windows.immersivecontrolpanel-cw5n1h2xyewy! microsoft.windows.it', although I am not sure if the last part was something like 'immersive' as the last character...