Windows 10: Windows Start Menu Search not finding WinWord.exe

Discus and support Windows Start Menu Search not finding WinWord.exe in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a puzzle. I am having a problem with Office 365 right now. It caused me to search for WinWord.EXE. When I used the Start menu, it did not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Rohn007, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Rohn007 Win User

Windows Start Menu Search not finding WinWord.exe

I have a puzzle.

I am having a problem with Office 365 right now. It caused me to search for WinWord.EXE. When I used the Start menu, it did not find the file. Start menu did find the Word tile. Opening the file location of the Tile gave me the shortcut. The shortcut properties gave me this path:

"C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE"

So, why did start menu not find the file? What setting would block searching that location?

I also use a file name search tool called "Everything" from Void tools. It hooks directly into NTFS to do it's searches. It also does not find this file. It does find some other files that match the pattern

:)

Rohn007, Jul 23, 2020
  2. Rohn007 Win User

I have a puzzle.

I am having a problem with Office 365 right now. It caused me to search for WinWord.EXE. When I used the Start menu, it did not find the file. Start menu did find the Word tile. Opening the file location of the Tile gave me the shortcut. The shortcut
    properties gave me this path:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE"

So, why did start menu not find the file? What setting would block searching that location?

I also use a file name search tool called "Everything" from Void tools. It hooks directly into NTFS to do it's searches. It also does not find this file. It does find some other files that match the pattern

Rohn007, Jul 30, 2020
  3. Rohn007 Win User

Sorry Elise, that is a totally irrelevant reply. Windows file search problems have nothing to do with the Office installation, which is Working just fine. For the most part.

The issue arose due to a change in the way in how 365 works, or to the point no longer works, when I sign out. That problem is documented in this ongoing question.

Why does signing out suddenly de-activate office?

The point is, as part of my trouble shooting I searched for WinWord.EXE using the Win10 Start menu. It does not matter if I am signed in to 365 or not, the 365 WinWord.exe file is never found by the start menu. That appears to be another change, because
    I have done that in the past. Irritatingly, the start menu does find my 2010 Winword.exe, so it does know how to search system application folders.

Rohn007, Jul 30, 2020
  4. Rohn007 Win User

Good question. I didn't think to try it.

Just tried, it found NONE, not even the 2010.

Even searching for just Word, does not find the shortcut used in the start menu. MS search sucks. They just can't do a decent search anywhere, not in Windows not in Bing.

Rohn007, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Start Menu Search not finding WinWord.exe - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Start Menu Search not finding all apps and programms

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Search not finding all apps and programms: I use the start menu search for opening up apps instead of having a bloated task bar but at some point Windows 10 stopped working showing results properly for everything. E.g. when I updated MS office, windows button + type away for example "word" will show the not even...
  3. Can't find programs using the start menu search

in Cortana
    Can't find programs using the start menu search: Recently I am no longer able to find any programs using the start menu search, it just gives me things like downloaded files. For example, I can't find the control panel by typing in "control panel"....
  4. Start menu search can't find some applications

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search can't find some applications: I am unable to search for some applications on my new laptop. I have tried rebuilding the index and restarting twice now with these options: [img] For example, both Chrome and Firefox are installed and have icons in the start menu, both show up under "Most Used" and both...
  5. Start menu search not finding applications?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search not finding applications?: Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However once i install programs like Office 2013 i can't find the application exe files by searching in the start menu. If i search for outlook or word in the start menu nothing shows up, this was not an issue in...
  6. Start Menu Search Doesn't Find Steam

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Doesn't Find Steam: The shortcut is here: [img] But if I search nothing comes up. It has not problems finding Blender and Skyrim ... [img] 6209
  7. Windows 10 Start Search can't find stuff in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Search can't find stuff in Start Menu: Hi I have a clean install of windows 10 with bootcamp on a macbook 13 early 2015 using the iso downloaded from microsoft. I've also enabled compact os. I have this same problem: Windows 10 Search can't find ANY applications. Even calculator - Super User it seems. Win+S...
  8. Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps: I've noticed now on multiple computers I've installed Windows 10 on, that a quick win-key search isn't able to bring up installed apps. I'm sure this isn't how it's meant to be, and that there must be a fix... right? 10556
  9. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...
  10. EXE files and Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    EXE files and Start menu: Is there any way I can put an .exe file on the Start menu? I know I can put a link to it on the desktop but that has too many icons on it already. Thank you. 22594