Windows 10: Windows Start Menu, Search, Settings, and Powershell Not Working

Discus and support Windows Start Menu, Search, Settings, and Powershell Not Working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Sometime during the past week, the Windows taskbar, start menu, and search function stopped working for me. I also noticed that I could not open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HughGalloway, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Windows Start Menu, Search, Settings, and Powershell Not Working

Sometime during the past week, the Windows taskbar, start menu, and search function stopped working for me. I also noticed that I could not open settings on my device. After reading some fixes online, I tried to use the PowerShell to troubleshoot some issues, however, it displayed mscoree.dll not found. I have also noticed that Cortana is listed as suspended in the task manager. Additionally, win+X and win+I shortcuts do not work and neither does win for opening up windows menu. I have tried a system restore and the system restore got stuck.

I am aware that this likely requires a tricky fix due to the large number of issues I listed, but I would greatly appreciate some guidance on how to fix these problems.

Control Panel, task manager, and windows explorer are all still working.

Thanks in advance.

:)

HughGalloway, Jun 13, 2020

2. Start Menu not working.

I followed the direction (I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following 2 commands in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"}

• Close the Powershell window.
    • Reboot,)
    given in the reply. But still the start menu and search is not working

T.Krishnankutty, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Jun 13, 2020
  4. Yvonne Win User

Windows Start Menu, Search, Settings, and Powershell Not Working

Applications still showing on Start menu after powershell deletion

Hi,

I've used powershell to remove some apps (like Xbox games).

On one account, it cleaned up the start menu just fine.

Second account, they were showing on the start menu, so I ran powershell again and verified everything was gone that I wanted, but Xbox is still showing on the menu list. *Not* as a tile, but in the "All Apps" list. I have also tried looking at the Start Menu in File Explorer for that User and can not see the App listed.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Yvonne, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

Windows Start Menu, Search, Settings, and Powershell Not Working

1. Windows Start Menu, Search, Settings, and Powershell Not Working - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Start menu search bar and settings dont work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search bar and settings dont work.: its been around a day since this problem started, the search bar on my task bar does not work doesn’t let me type and if i try to open the settings app it instantly closes after opening. not sure if this is a common problem or not but my searches for a solution online have...
  3. Start menu search bar and settings dont work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu search bar and settings dont work.: its been around a day since this problem started, the search bar on my task bar does not work doesn’t let me type and if i try to open the settings app it instantly closes after opening. not sure if this is a common problem or not but my searches for a solution online have...
  4. Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working: Hey -So I believe I'm running windows 10, recently updated to it - but I can't check cause many things won't open on my computer including:The Start Menu or right clicking itComputer Settings Ctrl-I does not work either not does ms settings in CMDMy Computer > Propertieswhen...
  5. Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working

Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working: Hey -So I believe I'm running windows 10, recently updated to it - but I can't check cause many things won't open on my computer including:The Start Menu or right clicking itComputer Settings Ctrl-I does not work either not does ms settings in CMDMy Computer > Propertieswhen...
  6. Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  8. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  9. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

10. Setting, start menu, notification center, search menu not working

Setting, start menu, notification center, search menu not working: Hello, after recent updates from Windows, I've found a lot of problems. I can't access the start menu, search menu, action center, task bar, as well as setting. When I try to use the keyboard shortcut to open the settings, it said something along the line like 'Class Not...