Windows 10: Windows Start, Setting, etc... stopped working

Discus and support Windows Start, Setting, etc... stopped working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My PC is X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Type 20LD, 20LE, 20LF, 20LG Laptop ThinkPad - Type 20LD The cause of the problem : Synaptics Metallica MIS Touch Fingerprint... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WeiYang8, Jan 19, 2021.

1. WeiYang8 Win User

Windows Start, Setting, etc... stopped working

My PC is

X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Type 20LD, 20LE, 20LF, 20LG Laptop ThinkPad - Type 20LD
    The cause of the problem : Synaptics Metallica MIS Touch Fingerprint Reader Driver for Windows 10

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds502265-synaptics-metallica-mis-touch-fingerprint-reader-driver-for-windows-10-64-bit-thinkpad.

After I downloaded/installed the above driver from Lenovo, and restarted my computer, windows no longer working.

I can login in to my pc as usual, I can use my browser and various apps the ones not from app stores just fine,

BUT I cannot open the Start menu, I cannot go to the setting, I cannot open lenovo vantage, I cannot search.

I'm wondering if there is anyway for me to undo the installation of the above driver.

Any help and idea will be greatly appreciated : Thank you!!

:)

WeiYang8, Jan 19, 2021
  2. NMI
    NMI Win User

Windows Update will not open in Settings

Yes.

3. Tilghman Win User
    Start Button Stopped Working

Yesterday the start button stopped responding. Cortana works okay and right clicking the start button opens a long list beginning with Programs and Features through Desktop. I restored from a point yesterday before experiencing the problem. Did not help.
    Any suggestions?

Tilghman, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Windows Start, Setting, etc... stopped working

Start menu stopped working in Windows 10

I installed Windows 10 last weekend. Everything was fine until this morning when the icon for the start menu stop working. I should say a left click on the icon no longer works so I don't see all my apps etc..... I can still left right click and get windows
    utilities and such.

I've read through some of the suggested solutions and tried some but nothing has worked. Does anyone have a definitive solution yet ? Any help would be appreciated

please i have the same problem right now....and i have try to use the steps as listed...but is requesting for administrator permission or privilege

Promise0nyekachi, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

Windows Start, Setting, etc... stopped working

1. Windows Start, Setting, etc... stopped working - Similar Threads - Start Setting etc

2. I cant open start windows, settings, etc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant open start windows, settings, etc: when i try sfc/ scannow theres the result Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline...
  3. I cant open start windows, settings, etc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant open start windows, settings, etc: when i try sfc/ scannow theres the result Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline...
  4. Windows spamming tab keys on Start Menu, Settings etc..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows spamming tab keys on Start Menu, Settings etc..: Hello,i had windows 10 installed since 2019 and never had any issues until recently.The "TAB" has been spamming randomly in the day for no reasons even if i uninstalled the drivers or physically unplug the keyboard, i do have an Xbox Elite Controller Series 1 but i also...
  5. Windows spamming tab keys on Start Menu, Settings etc..

Windows spamming tab keys on Start Menu, Settings etc..: Hello,i had windows 10 installed since 2019 and never had any issues until recently.The "TAB" has been spamming randomly in the day for no reasons even if i uninstalled the drivers or physically unplug the keyboard, i do have an Xbox Elite Controller Series 1 but i also...
  6. Windows spamming tab keys on Start Menu, Settings etc..

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Can't scroll in Windows applications; Settings, Start Menu, etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't scroll in Windows applications; Settings, Start Menu, etc.: As the title says, I cannot use my scroll wheel to scroll down in Windows applications, primarily Settings and even in the All Apps section of the Start Menu. I'm running Windows 11 Home 22H2 version 22621.675 on a Ryzen 5 5600 processor and a Radeon RX 6600 graphics card,...
  8. Can't scroll in Windows applications; Settings, Start Menu, etc.

Can't scroll in Windows applications; Settings, Start Menu, etc.: As the title says, I cannot use my scroll wheel to scroll down in Windows applications, primarily Settings and even in the All Apps section of the Start Menu. I'm running Windows 11 Home 22H2 version 22621.675 on a Ryzen 5 5600 processor and a Radeon RX 6600 graphics card,...
  9. Start Button, Display Setting, etc. No Longer Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Button, Display Setting, etc. No Longer Working: Hi,When I left click on the start button, nothing comes up. If I right click, and select for examples "Settings", nothing happens. If I right click on the desktop, and click on "Display Settings", it states that the file does not have an app associated with it for performing...
  10. Windows Start menu, notifications, settings, etc. missing textures.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Start menu, notifications, settings, etc. missing textures.: Hi. My start menu, setting, action center and pretty much everything lost textures/icons. I tried some sfc scan fixes and other cmd commands, but nothing seemed to work. Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed and get this fixed?...