Windows 10: Windows starts with error 0xc0000428 even when booted on USB by mediacreation tool after...

Discus and support Windows starts with error 0xc0000428 even when booted on USB by mediacreation tool after... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My system is now "dead", some context to begin with : I have an acer predator helios 500 laptop so some built in software, with a 1TB hard drive with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Theobald_Kernald, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Windows starts with error 0xc0000428 even when booted on USB by mediacreation tool after...

My system is now "dead", some context to begin with : I have an acer predator helios 500 laptop so some built in software, with a 1TB hard drive with only data on it and two SSDs with windows files and other applications.

After the update latest update I do not know if this is the root of the problem but everything was fine before this update, I can't start windows anymore : I land on a blue blank screen, I turned off the secured boot and the blue blank screen turned into a blue screen with error 0xc0000428 : signature couldn't be verified.
    I tried to use a USB key with the recovery tool and afterwards to do a full clean install I tried with both media creation tool and rufus and several windows iso files. In each and every case the same problem occurs : after booting windows or a windows tool, I'll land on a blue screen blank if secure boot is enabled or with some error code. Most of the time the code is 0xc0000428, but throughout my tries I landed on 0xc0000098, 0xc0000221 and 0xc0000225 as well, all of them are related to failures while checking security keys and/or windows files and/or drivers.
    Windows installation through the LAN boot failed as well I was not the one performing that one, thus I don't know the error code.

And then it becomes even more disturbing : I can boot linux mint from a key without the slightest problem and it will run. When I do so, I can access the hard drive and it's working fine. I couldn't access SSDs from but that's logical because of the nfts format they use.

But the main SSD is recognized as a bootable device in the UEFI boot menu, so I can reasonably assume that the problem does not originates from that SSD as the same problem occurs when I boot a key that is working on some other computer I tested it on a friend's laptop.
    Furthermore I tried all the possible combinations : removing one or both SSDs and removing the hard drive to launch a windows from my key. In each and every case I landed on a blue screen either blank or with one of the error code listed above.
    Other noticable things : I didn't updated the BIOS and I reset once and it didn't change anything.

Any ideas why this happens ? Any idea how to resolve it besides sending it back to customer service as even a IT-technician was clueless about how to solve that ?

Any help gratefully received.

:)

Theobald_Kernald, Feb 16, 2020

2. Unable to boot the device with error: 0xc0000428 on Windows 10

Hi Vuk,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in booting the device with 0xc0000428 error. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message along with the error code of this issue?
    • From when are you facing this issue?
    • Have you make any hardware/ software changes to your device prior to this issue?

I would like to inform that when you attempt to start a Windows 10 system, the system fails to start normally and you receive an error:
    0xc0000428 for the signed driver dlkmdldr.sys. Do confirm us if you are facing the same issue.

Try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to remove all the external devices except mouse and keyboard, hard reboot the device and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: I suggest you to boot the device by choosing the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" mode from the advanced boot menu, you would be able to boot the system to the desktop.

• Try to boot the device to Windows Recovery Environment
    • Click on Advanced options, Startup Settings
      and Restart.
    • Once the computer restarts, press F7 key to start he device on
      Disable Driver Signature Enforcement mode.
    • Check if the computer boot successfully.

Step 3: I suggest you to install the pending updates on your device after restarting the computer.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above an update us the status of this issue to assist you further accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 16, 2020
  3. SaberVA Win User
    Windows Boot Manager screen with the error code/ Statis: 0xc0000428 after overclocking (Attempted Multiple Fixes and will Continue my Troubleshooting)

Summary

• Rebooted computer after overclocking from UEFI to see a Windows Boot Manager screen with the error code/ Statis: 0xc0000428
    • Found boot drive/ SSD booted windows fine on a different computer
    • Booting off of a USB drive that had the windows recovery tool resulted in a Windows Boot Manager screen with the error code/ Statis: 0xc0000428
      • This even occurs if when no other drives are plugged in or if just the SSD is plugged in
    • Redownloading the windows recovery tool on the SSD from problem Computer (Plugged in the different Computer)
    So earlier in the day I was overclocking my CPU, everything was fine until I launched a game an and my computer crashed, that.s all fine and good, as is takes time to find settings that are stable. I booted back into the UEFI and lowered the clock speed
    of my CPU, I proceeded to save and quit the UEFI to get back into windows to test the stability of the overclock.

After the motherboard logo went away I was visited by the Windows Boot Manager Statis 0xc0000428

I was in no panic, as I had youtube on my side.

Things That Have Been attempted To Resolve Issue

• Download of Windows creation tool on a separate computer
      • Downloaded windows with that tool on a USB drive
    • Reset Motherboard CMOS
    • Switched SATA Cables
    Things Found From Troubleshooting.

• My SSD with windows does not work In said desktop
    • When on a laptop and its HDD is transplanted with the SSD from the desktop, windows boots properly with no issues.
    • Booting from a 64GB SanDisk USB, on the desktop with problems, with a fresh copy of Windows from the windows media creation tool results in the 0xc0000428 error code, same as the SSD.
    • Plugging In the Laptops HDD into the desktop where the problem originated also results in "Windows Boot Manager" screen and subsequently Error code '0xc0000428'.
    At the moment I will redownload windows to the USB drive using the windows media creation tool again, but I will do so using the SSD from the Problem Desktop.

Specs Of The Problem PC

• Ryzen 5 2600
    • GXT 980TI
    • ROG B350 Gaming-F Motherboard
    • One 8GB stick of ram
    • 240GB SadDisk SSD
    • 1TB Western Digital HDD.
    • 850 Gold PSU from Corsair.

SaberVA, Feb 16, 2020
  4. ckmape Win User

Windows starts with error 0xc0000428 even when booted on USB by mediacreation tool after...

error code 0xc0000428 with windows 10 dual booted with 7.

Hello I have a question are you able to help me with error code 0xc0000428 winload.exe is corrupted. I tried this commands but didn't work.

• bootrec /fixmbr
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bootrec /rebuild bcd
    I am trying this in windows 10 by any chance are you able to help me?

This happened when i put in windows 7 dual booted but i tried to reinstall windows 7 but windows 10 still doesn't want to boot. the windows 7 boot manager still recognized windows 10 but i don't want to reinstall windows 10 since I lost my product key and I
    don't want to spend $300 for a new one? any suggestions?

ckmape, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows starts with error 0xc0000428 even when booted on USB by mediacreation tool after...

1. Windows starts with error 0xc0000428 even when booted on USB by mediacreation tool after... - Similar Threads - starts error 0xc0000428

2. Getting Error 0xc0000428 while starting pc for first time after a while.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting Error 0xc0000428 while starting pc for first time after a while.: Everytime I start my pc after some while like after 3-4hrs it shows 0xc0000428 error and after going to boot options and restarting it just starts normally. It has become annoying to go through this everytime for starting Windows. I had change of Motherboard a while back and...
  3. ERROR 0xc0000428 AND ERROR 0XC0000098

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ERROR 0xc0000428 AND ERROR 0XC0000098: שלום, אני מנסה להפעיל את המחשב שלי DELL, WINDOWS 10 ולא מצליח. כבר תקופה מסוימת שזה קורה. כל פעם עלי ללחוץ F5 כדי לסרוק את המחשב ואז אחרי שהכל תקין הוא נדלק. והיום משום מה הנייד שלי לא נדלק. ניסיתי כמה פתרונות מוצעים ע"פ השגיאות שבכותרת ולא הצליח בראשונה ניסיתי את התיקון...
  4. error code 0xc0000428

error code 0xc0000428: Hi there when i start my pc it bluescreens and i get this message Your PC/Device needs to be repaired the digital signature for this file couldnt be verified. file: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi Error code: 0xc0000428 I currently am working for my computer and would...
  5. Device manager unable to start correctly 0xc0000428 error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Device manager unable to start correctly 0xc0000428 error: Hello, I havent been able to access my device manager. Keep getting the mmc.exe application error above. Does anyone know a fix to it? Ive also reset Microsoft10 with keeping my files option but the problem still persist. Pls help....
  6. Error code 0xc0000428

Error code 0xc0000428: I have made media tool on a usb but my pc wont even get past the error. I tried on a new pc and that still doesn't work. I even tried with a Windows 10 usb from Microsoft....
  7. Error 0xc0000428 can’t boot from anything

Error 0xc0000428 can’t boot from anything: So i recently restarted my pc only to see a blue screen with the error 0xc0000428. I’ve tried to repair windows 10 with the microsoft media creation tool but the pc gives me same error. I even tried the usb that i got when i first installed windows 10 but even trying to...
  8. Error Code 0xc0000428

Error Code 0xc0000428: I was downloading Minecraft mods thru the Twitch client, and my PC crashed, upon reboot, I am receiving a "Your PC needs to be repaired" message, with error code 0xc0000428. What I have tried: Originally, the error screen was giving me an option to enter recovery, but that...
  9. Windows Boot Manager screen with the error code/ Statis: 0xc0000428 after overclocking...

Windows Boot Manager screen with the error code/ Statis: 0xc0000428 after overclocking...: Summary Rebooted computer after overclocking from UEFI to see a Windows Boot Manager screen with the error code/ Statis: 0xc0000428 Found boot drive/ SSD booted windows fine on a different computer Booting off of a USB drive that had the windows recovery tool resulted in a...
  10. Windows MediaCreation tool and version number for ISO

Windows MediaCreation tool and version number for ISO: Hey everybody, I have created an ISO file via the Windows MediaCreation tool that I am going to burn on disc, but I am not sure if this is the 1703 version. How can I know if the ISO file that was created by the MediaCreation tool is the 1703 version? I have seen other...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new ssd win10 error 0xc0000428