Windows 10: Windows Startup Sometimes Stalls at Black Screen with Blue Window

Discus and support Windows Startup Sometimes Stalls at Black Screen with Blue Window in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Starting windows is intermittent; sometimes I have a normal start, and other times it hangs at the screen with the black background, blue window, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jim8080, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Jim8080 Win User

Windows Startup Sometimes Stalls at Black Screen with Blue Window

Starting windows is intermittent; sometimes I have a normal start, and other times it hangs at the screen with the black background, blue window, and the rotating dots. The dots seem to rotate indefinitely.

Background;
    After some annoying issues with the hard drive running continuously, I made a fresh win10 install using a Media Creation Tool to make a bootable flash drive and make a clean install as described in TenForums tutorials. The new drive appeared to work fine, and I used an image file to install win10 on a second drive.

A few weeks passed while I decided what version of Office to use, determining what app's I needed to purchase again - I was in no hurry.

Before continuing, I decided to verify win10 updates were current; and discovered a number of updates needed to be downloaded and installed. I used settings > update to update.

Downloading and installation started, but not all updates were installed, and I received the following warning:
    Updates failed There are problems installed some updates, but we'll try again later.

2018-11 Cumulative Update for Win10 Version 1803 for x64, (KB4467702) - error 0x80070020.
    ..................................... I noticed that there were two v1803 that needed to be installed:

KB4023057 Update for win10 v1803 for x64-based systems
    KB4467702 Cum update for win10 v1803 for x64 based systems

I decided that the installation order had problems, restarted the computer so (I assumed) 057 was installed, then continued.
    Installation seemed to finish without other problems, but I have the "intermittent" issue.
    Any suggestions?

:)

Jim8080, Nov 25, 2018

2. Windows 7 black screen of death

I read a report a little while ago that said the black screens were nothing to do with updates but due to a malicious program (it hit more than just windows 7 users - vista, xp and 2000 were also prone to the black startup screen of death if infected). My windows 7 install is fully up-to-date and i've never had the black startup screen.

Just run some decent anti virus and you should be safe (i suggest microsoft security essentails since it's free and pretty decent). When you've installed an anti-virus i'd suggest doing a full scen to be sure there's nothing there.

human_error, Nov 25, 2018
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    Startup Blue Screen

Hi Jon,

Startup blue screen error(s) can occur if a problem causes your PC to shut down or restart unexpectedly. It could be due to the following:

• Outdated device software drivers
    • Corrupted Windows update system files
    • Software/Security conflicts

We would like to know some information:

• Did you get any blue screen stop error codes?
    • Have you tried booting in Safe mode?

We suggest that you check this
    article
    about troubleshooting blue screen errors and follow the troubleshooting steps provided there.

We will wait for your response

Remon Ont, Nov 25, 2018
  4. Windows Startup Sometimes Stalls at Black Screen with Blue Window

windows 7 startup black screen problem

All of sudden my laptop hanged and loud noise and black screen appeared , thereafter it is unable to start, I tried running startup repair but it has not helped as well.

I am able to run in safe mode but not normally. Tried even starting from last known best config but it is also not starting it, just showing black screen.

If I go to recovery manager while launching startup repair, it I'd showing option to restore windows, will it remove all data rrom all partitions ? I have 3 total partition apart from recovery drive, all main data in other drive than c drive where windows is installed..

freebird_9924, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

Windows Startup Sometimes Stalls at Black Screen with Blue Window

1. Windows Startup Sometimes Stalls at Black Screen with Blue Window - Similar Threads - Startup Sometimes Stalls

2. My windows pc screen goes black and then completely stalls with the power on and sometimes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows pc screen goes black and then completely stalls with the power on and sometimes...: I installed a new graphics card in my pc and roughly since then it started to black screen crash but its weird because for the first 10 or 15 seconds just the screen goes black and the game seemingly freezes as I don't hear the noise of switching through the menu's but do...
  3. My windows pc screen goes black and then completely stalls with the power on and sometimes...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows pc screen goes black and then completely stalls with the power on and sometimes...: I installed a new graphics card in my pc and roughly since then it started to black screen crash but its weird because for the first 10 or 15 seconds just the screen goes black and the game seemingly freezes as I don't hear the noise of switching through the menu's but do...
  4. My pc keeps black screening and restarts or blue screens and the blue screen will sometimes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc keeps black screening and restarts or blue screens and the blue screen will sometimes...: I built my pc a year back and everything seemed to be fine. It was up until about 2 months ago i downgraded to windows 10 easing all my data and for those 2 months no errors had occurred. One day i was sitting idle on chrome eating and my pc blue screened out of no where and...
  5. My pc keeps black screening and restarts or blue screens and the blue screen will sometimes...

My pc keeps black screening and restarts or blue screens and the blue screen will sometimes...: I built my pc a year back and everything seemed to be fine. It was up until about 2 months ago i downgraded to windows 10 easing all my data and for those 2 months no errors had occurred. One day i was sitting idle on chrome eating and my pc blue screened out of no where and...
  6. My pc keeps black screening and restarts or blue screens and the blue screen will sometimes...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Wallpaper sometimes turn black windows 11 + blue screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wallpaper sometimes turn black windows 11 + blue screen: Hello, I have had this weird issue for a few weeks, my wallpaper turns black randomly. Sometimes if I right-click refresh, it reloads the wallpaper. Sometimes I have to restart windows explorer from task manager. On top of that, since this morning, I had 2 blue screens. - Win...
  8. Wallpaper sometimes turn black windows 11 + blue screen

Wallpaper sometimes turn black windows 11 + blue screen: Hello, I have had this weird issue for a few weeks, my wallpaper turns black randomly. Sometimes if I right-click refresh, it reloads the wallpaper. Sometimes I have to restart windows explorer from task manager. On top of that, since this morning, I had 2 blue screens. - Win...
  9. startup stalls

in Windows 10 Customization
    startup stalls: my laptop stalls when starting up before putting in the pin. I have lost the pictures background also. I lost my microsoft account information and had put it all in but it keeps doing it over and over. I finally restored it back to get it to work somewhat normally. I have run...
  10. Windows black screen on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows black screen on startup: Hi there, I just recently reset my pc to try to fix an issue with the startup but it did not work. Specifically the problem happens right when I turn on my pc. When I boot up my system for the first time, everything turns on normally like my monitors, my fans, and the lights...