Windows 10: Windows Startup suddenly requiring password

Discus and support Windows Startup suddenly requiring password in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; After several years of using windows 10 'startup' in the "Never" require password sign-in mode on my desktop, for several days now, I have suddenly... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by William P_999, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Windows Startup suddenly requiring password

After several years of using windows 10 'startup' in the "Never" require password sign-in mode on my desktop, for several days now, I have suddenly been required to use a password during startup.

This apparently occurred subsequent to some 'automatic update' downloads from Microsoft. I restored my computer to a time before the automatic downloads, but that didn't seem to help.

I have checked my settings and "Never" is still selected under the password settings.

This seemingly was caused by the Windows updates, but going through the normal fixes doesn't seem to correct the problem.

Thanks for any help.

:)

William P_999, Jan 18, 2019

2. Windows Startup password

Is it possible to remove a startup password without being able to log into the system? A friend's laptop just prompt her today for a password that she never enabled. Now, she does have a standard user account password, but that doesn't work for the startup password. She had the computer for about a year now and it has never asked for a startup password until today.

I tried to use Hiren Boot CD to run a diagnostic on the laptop, but it has a bsod. Windows 10 normal boot crashes as well

GoFigureItOut, Jan 18, 2019
  3. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Jan 18, 2019
  4. Windows Startup suddenly requiring password

Password At Startup

Hello Charles,

Providing your credentials at Windows startup is supposed to be required. If it is not prompting you, it is possible that it had been disabled. Follow the steps to enable the required password at Windows startup:

• Type netplwiz in Search.
    • Click netplwiz run command.
    • Enter your administrator credentials if prompted.
    • Check the box beside Users must enter a username and password to use this computer.
    • Hit Apply.
    • Enter the credentials you will be using to sign in to your Windows 10.
    • Click OK.
    • Click OK to save the changes.

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

Kristine Arp, Jan 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows Startup suddenly requiring password

1. Windows Startup suddenly requiring password - Similar Threads - Startup suddenly requiring

2. Windows 10 Requiring Password on Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Requiring Password on Startup: Hello,No matter what I do, Windows requires a password.On startup, first screen says incorrect password. Then when I click in the password section, my username shows up twice in the lower left of the screen.I am able to login under each username successfully with the same...
  3. Windows 10 Requiring Password on Startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Requiring Password on Startup: Hello,No matter what I do, Windows requires a password.On startup, first screen says incorrect password. Then when I click in the password section, my username shows up twice in the lower left of the screen.I am able to login under each username successfully with the same...
  4. Windows 10 Requiring Password on Startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. I want to require a startup password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to require a startup password: I originally set up Windows 10 to not require a password on startup. I now want to change that so that a password is required. I set everything up in Windows Hello with a Kensington fingerprint scanner. It requests a password after sleep but still automatically logs me in on...
  6. I want to require a startup password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to require a startup password: I originally set up Windows 10 to not require a password on startup. I now want to change that so that a password is required. I set everything up in Windows Hello with a Kensington fingerprint scanner. It requests a password after sleep but still automatically logs me in on...
  7. I want to require a startup password

8. Microsoft Account Password Required At Startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Account Password Required At Startup: My laptop has just started requesting my Microsoft Account password before it will complete the startup process. How can this password requirement be removed?...
  9. Windows 10 Password suddenly required

Windows 10 Password suddenly required: Suddenly I have to sign into Windows each time I turn on desktop PC. First it says password is not valid, then I choose my personal windows icon and type in the password. Why do I have to sign in each time when before I did not have to?...
  10. Windows 10 no longer requires password at startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 no longer requires password at startup: Good afternoon, I am not a user of Windows 10 but my dad (who is not good with computers) now has a computer with Windows 10. I am trying to help him with a problem that occurred this morning. Everything was fine with his computer yesterday but he says he turned it off last...