Windows 10: Windows still auto updating when NoAutoUpdate = 1

Discus and support Windows still auto updating when NoAutoUpdate = 1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We have a number of Windows 10 embedded devices running various editions of Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise LTSB. These PCs run Point of Sale... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DanLay1, Jan 5, 2019.

1. DanLay1 Win User

Windows still auto updating when NoAutoUpdate = 1

We have a number of Windows 10 embedded devices running various editions of Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise LTSB.

These PCs run Point of Sale applications therefor cannot be running Windows Updates during business open hours.

In previous editions of Windows we updated it manually out-of-hours in a controlled way.

Since upgrading to Windows 10 we have completely lost control over when Windows updates itself.

Windows is updating itself in the background during working hours and has caused various machines to loose network connections and production running .NET applications to behave erratically.

We have tried setting policies and changing registry keys. The MSDN documented NoAutoUpdate key is having no effect.

```

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]

"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001

```

Please don't suggest links to MSDN articles as we have exhausted this route. Also enabling metered connections, it's not a solution.

Can we please have an honest answer Microsoft? our customers are at a huge risk of losing money whilst their Point of Sale Tills update.

Regards

Dan

:)

DanLay1, Jan 5, 2019
  2. Kreij Win User

Microsoft Auto-Updates Components of Windows Without User Permission

The nine files that are updated all have to do with the Auto-Updater itself.
    The article lists them all. No big deal.

I run auto-update anyway, so BRING ON THE NEW UPDATES !!!
    I have yet to experience any problems from MS updates on my XP network.

Kreij, Jan 5, 2019
  3. Johan45 Win User
    AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Jan 5, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows still auto updating when NoAutoUpdate = 1 :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jan 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows still auto updating when NoAutoUpdate = 1 - Similar Threads - still auto updating

2. Auto brightness STILL changing when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto brightness STILL changing when plugged in: Two months ago I raised https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-other_settings/auto-brightness-when-plugged-in/5c67b839-9541-4a55-a4e0-98f7c2e145d3?messageId=9c5d8782-3160-4e80-a416-a11f1d15b64d&page=1 which had me repeat everything I've already done....
  3. Auto brightness STILL changing when plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto brightness STILL changing when plugged in: Two months ago I raised https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-other_settings/auto-brightness-when-plugged-in/5c67b839-9541-4a55-a4e0-98f7c2e145d3?messageId=9c5d8782-3160-4e80-a416-a11f1d15b64d&page=1 which had me repeat everything I've already done....
  4. GPO NoAutoUpdate wont enable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPO NoAutoUpdate wont enable: The issue I am having is on one of my servers, I need the NoAutoUpdate registry key to change from 1 which is disabled, to 1 which enables it. I set the control in the GPO and tried to change this and for some reason it wont let me change that registry key. Has anyone else...
  5. GPO NoAutoUpdate wont enable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPO NoAutoUpdate wont enable: The issue I am having is on one of my servers, I need the NoAutoUpdate registry key to change from 1 which is disabled, to 1 which enables it. I set the control in the GPO and tried to change this and for some reason it wont let me change that registry key. Has anyone else...
  6. GPO NoAutoUpdate wont enable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Auto updates in windows store are turned off, but they still auto update, and pretty...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto updates in windows store are turned off, but they still auto update, and pretty...: So since game pass allows mods for games now I have a mod for a game which is the only reason I play it in the first place (adds 20x more content). However, this mod requires version 1.2 and the current version is 1.4. Do I seriously have to completely delete my game and...
  8. Windows 10 auto updates when auto update is turned off!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 auto updates when auto update is turned off!: I have a seriou issue. i use windows 10 on a bootcamp macbook pro. i have an external eGPU running an AMD card and i used particular drivers. i only use windows 10 to play 1 game and nothing else. the last updates makes my monitors not work anymore. The drivers do not...
  9. Windows update still auto installing Nvidia drivers.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update still auto installing Nvidia drivers.: I applied the reg file made available in one of Brink's threads but I've noticed Windows update is still auto installing Nvidia drivers. Anyone else have same issue? 79844
  10. Auto update initiating a 1 minute shutdown timer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Auto update initiating a 1 minute shutdown timer: So Windows 10 updates somehow managed to become even more frustrating. Started up my PC this morning to watch a video. A few minutes into that video, I get a message on my screen telling me I'm about to be logged out and a shutdown has been scheduled for one minute. No...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. noautoupdate=1

2. noautoupdate ltsb

3. noautoupdate set to 1 but automatic updates are still running