Windows 10: Windows still shows as used the space I freed of older Windows.

Discus and support Windows still shows as used the space I freed of older Windows. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I deleted my older Windows 10 partition. It was on another hard disk, different from what I use now as my main drive and partition. To do that,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Siegfriedm, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Windows still shows as used the space I freed of older Windows.

Hello, I deleted my older Windows 10 partition.
    It was on another hard disk, different from what I use now as my main drive and partition.
    To do that, and avoid all access denied and permissions messages, I copied all Windows folder in a new created folder called windows.old, and I used the windows tool to delete Old Windows installation on that drive. I saw this trick in a video on YT.

It worked. Now the Windows folder is disappeared, and also WinDirStat and TreeSize, shows as used space on that drive only 18 Gb.
    Problem is: that "This PC" menu of Windows, still shows 28 Gb as used space on that drive. Why?
    Obviously, I have "show hidden files" enabled, and there is nothing hidden. I used Administrator mode for Windirstat and treesize, etc..
    I can't figure it out.

Seems that these 10 Gb are used from some process, but that drive is not my active main drive now.

:)

Siegfriedm, Nov 22, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

1. Did you empty the recycle bin ? If not, empty it.
    2. Delete the contents under: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
      Those are downloaded Windows Updates files and already installed.
    3. Open Admin command, copy and paste the line below then run:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
      This should remove all the no longer used by component store. Will take a while to run.

topgundcp, Nov 22, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 22, 2019
  4. Windows still shows as used the space I freed of older Windows.

Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

As the title suggests, only 9 gigabytes of disk space appear to have been freed after deleting roughly 18 gigabytes worth of old Windows files via Windows Disk Cleanup. Since the Windows.old folder still exists even after the cleanup, I decided to check the folder properties to see if the folder still took up some space, but it was completely empty, save for a few empty subfolders that I didn't have permission to delete myself. I tried Disk Cleanup a second time, but it did not give me the option to delete old Windows files. Anybody got an answer for me? Please hurry. My poor SSD is suffering. It needs more games.

SpaseMonkey, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows still shows as used the space I freed of older Windows.

1. Windows still shows as used the space I freed of older Windows. - Similar Threads - still shows used

2. Computer not showing freed up space after Deleting temporary files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer not showing freed up space after Deleting temporary files.: * Windows 11* My system storage manager is telling me that I have temporary files taking up 76 gbs on my computer. I Selected to remove the temporary files and It still said that I had 76 gbs of storage used up. I then located the other temporary files using the windows run...
  3. Computer not showing freed up space after Deleting temporary files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer not showing freed up space after Deleting temporary files.: * Windows 11* My system storage manager is telling me that I have temporary files taking up 76 gbs on my computer. I Selected to remove the temporary files and It still said that I had 76 gbs of storage used up. I then located the other temporary files using the windows run...
  4. Windows using more disc space then it shows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows using more disc space then it shows: So basically:Last time I used my PC I had around 30gb left of space, then rebooted my PC and only had 11gb left.When I go to my C drive and add all the file sizes up from all the files that are located in there I get roughly 197GB. But windows says its using 220GB.I already...
  5. i didnt get the space freed

i didnt get the space freed: i downloaded fifa 15 for fun and i had lag so i deleted it but i didnt get the space freed after i deleted it and i cant find the file i downloaded the game to uninstall...
  6. Disk Space not freed after uninstalling a game on xbox app on windows.

Disk Space not freed after uninstalling a game on xbox app on windows.: Hello, i uninstalled the game Final Fantasy 15 via xbox app on windows, but the 80+GB disk space were not being freed. I looked in the "WindowsApps" folder and there was a FinalFantasy folder, taking up 80+GB of disk space. Unfortunately I am not able to delete this...
  7. Windows still shows as used the space I freed of older Windows.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows still shows as used the space I freed of older Windows.: Hello, I deleted my older Windows 10 partition. It was on another hard disk, different from what I use now as my main drive and partition. To do that, and avoid all access denied and permissions messages, I copied all Windows folder in a new created folder called...
  8. Windows still shows as used the space I freed of older Windows partition.

Windows still shows as used the space I freed of older Windows partition.: Hello, I deleted my older Windows 10 partition. It was on another hard disk, different from what I use now as my main drive and partition. To do that, and avoid all access denied and permissions messages, I copied all Windows folder in a new created folder called...
  9. C Drive not reclaiming freed disk space

C Drive not reclaiming freed disk space: My C drive is showing less than 60GB space free out of 917GB, even though I just moved nearly 150GB worth of files to the cloud (OneDrive). So it should be showing over 200GB fee. How do I get the space back? Note: I have already run Disk Cleanup....
  10. Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed: As the title suggests, only 9 gigabytes of disk space appear to have been freed after deleting roughly 18 gigabytes worth of old Windows files via Windows Disk Cleanup. Since the Windows.old folder still exists even after the cleanup, I decided to check the folder properties...