Windows 10: Windows still thinks it’s on my old laptop

Discus and support Windows still thinks it’s on my old laptop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I had a problem with my PC where I couldn’t install windows onto any of my hard drives because they didn’t match the format of my USB boot drive. So I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/omgpop, Jun 17, 2020.

1. /u/omgpop Win User

Windows still thinks it’s on my old laptop

I had a problem with my PC where I couldn’t install windows onto any of my hard drives because they didn’t match the format of my USB boot drive. So I did a clean install of windows on my laptop SSD, with WiFi disables so it wouldn’t download any laptop drivers, then I swapped that SSD into my PC. It worked - I was able to boot and run everything normally, so far without too many problems (I have had a couple of random blackscreens while switching users, but that’s a topic for another thread).

Anyway when I ran windows update it started installing a bunch of Lenovo and intel drivers, which tells me it definitely still has some imprint of being on the laptop because nothing in my rig is Lenovo or intel. Now I’ve manually installed display and chipset drivers and everything seems to mostly be working fine, but I am worried that over time this conflict could create instability. Is there any way to make my windows install completely “forget” that it was ever on my laptop or would I have to do yet another clean install?

submitted by /u/omgpop
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/omgpop, Jun 17, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

What to do with old laptop

If you actually read the thread it is a spare old laptop.

Nordic, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Anthony12 Win User
    What to do with old laptop

Yeah this is good suggestions here with your old laptop but i just want to say you that you should replace your old laptop with any new laptop by exchanging the old one and i think this is the best opinion for you ....

Give us a call

Anthony12, Jun 17, 2020
  4. n-ster Win User

n-ster, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows still thinks it’s on my old laptop - Similar Threads - still thinks it’s

2. Laptop still signed in as old account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop still signed in as old account: HiI am a Small Business User - my laptop is logged in as my old personal account.Both accounts are added within Accounts/Email and Accountsbut I cannot remove the old personal account, or change it on the laptop.Any ideas?...
  3. Laptop still signed in as old account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop still signed in as old account: HiI am a Small Business User - my laptop is logged in as my old personal account.Both accounts are added within Accounts/Email and Accountsbut I cannot remove the old personal account, or change it on the laptop.Any ideas?...
  4. Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.: Hello,I moved to another province Here in Canada two years ago, and I bought a new laptop. However, I didn't change my address Until today because I haven't been using it that much on the Microsoft website.I am trying to book an appointment for my mother and this site wants...
  5. Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.: Hello,I moved to another province Here in Canada two years ago, and I bought a new laptop. However, I didn't change my address Until today because I haven't been using it that much on the Microsoft website.I am trying to book an appointment for my mother and this site wants...
  6. Windows 10 thinks old monitor is still attached

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 thinks old monitor is still attached: I have a dual monitor setup. Originally, I had a Samsung 32" UJ59 monitor and a Dell 24" S2409W monitor. This configuration worked fine but I decided to upgrade to have matching 32" monitors. After removing the Dell 24" and attaching the 2nd Samsung 32", the system still...
  7. Windows thinks it's still in To Go mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows thinks it's still in To Go mode: Hello, I'm having some trouble with Windows To Go, that's how it's called I guess, I installed Windows 10 64bit on my ASUS laptop, but I used the HDD to fix another Laptop as a USB HDD, but after placing my HDD into my ASUS laptop, Windows keeps thinking it's in a USB. How...
  8. Windows still thinks I have my old video card.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows still thinks I have my old video card.: Windows update still gets updates for my old XFX AMD card. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-still-thinks-i-have-my-old-video-card/84554497-701b-4e47-ad7b-e5f10d2c61d3
  9. Migrated to SSD - Windows thinks old HDD is still there!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Migrated to SSD - Windows thinks old HDD is still there!: So, migrated to Crucial SSD in wife's laptop, no problem. Boots in seconds - however when starting system restore, it thinks the old HDD is also still there. It is in configure, the new SSD is there fine, but it also shows the old HDD. I try to delete system restore on...
  10. HomeGroup thinking old machine is still hosting. How do i reset ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HomeGroup thinking old machine is still hosting. How do i reset ?: Basically the way it works in my home, is i get the latest hardware and then i hand down my mobo, cpu, GPU to my kids each of which have their own gaming pc's and their own Microsoft accounts All running Win10... I'd like to have a homegroup running so that we can share...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop is booting to old window