Windows 10: Windows Storage Space vs. Backup/Filesystem/System image recovery

Discus and support Windows Storage Space vs. Backup/Filesystem/System image recovery in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, Couldn't find the exact info, so I'll ask here. -- Background -- I wanted to set RAID1 on 2 hard drives in my local machine, but due to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SergiuszWinogrodzki, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Windows Storage Space vs. Backup/Filesystem/System image recovery

Hi there,

Couldn't find the exact info, so I'll ask here.

-- Background --

I wanted to set RAID1 on 2 hard drives in my local machine, but due to chipset limitations I'd also have to replace AHCI headers with RAID0 on my current hard drives, what would most probably destroy my system. So I've decided to stick to AHCI and use Windows Storage Spaces instead of adjusting my SATA Controller.

-- Situation --

Now, keeping that in mind, I'm on AHCI config and I have set 2 HDDs as a Windows Storage Spaces mirrored in my Windows 10 Professional.

I want to save my backups there both Windows 10 Files Backup and Windows 7 System Backup, to include the system image, filesystem and others.

-- Question --

Now my question is: will that data remain accessible from outside Windows? Let's say that my system SSD gets corrupted and I need to replace it with a brand new one. Will I be able to recover my system from one of the drives that under Windows is associated to a Storage Spaces volume?

Now, if so... And let's say I will be able to recover cause as I imagine my SATA controller would see those 2 hard drives simply as 2 separate AHCI driven drives containing the same data, please confirm or correct me if I'm wrong. Then, what will happen if I actually recover? Will Windows detect those 2 drives as "binded" and display them as one volume? Or will it see 2 separate volumes containing the same info?

If so, and let's say I have 2 hard drives that used to be under Windows Storage Spaces, would I be able to set a Windows Storage Spaces on them without formatting them/losing any data?

I need all above to be clarified if possible. Perhaps someone of you already had similar experience and could share it here.

Thank you in advance

:)

SergiuszWinogrodzki, Feb 4, 2021

2. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Feb 4, 2021
  3. vanowm Win User
    W10: Cannot create system image and save it to storage spaces drive?

Hello.

I'm trying to create a system image (Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7) -> Create a system image), however my storage spaces drive is not listed in the available selection to save the image to.
    Why is that and what can do about that?

Thank you.

vanowm, Feb 4, 2021
  4. Windows Storage Space vs. Backup/Filesystem/System image recovery

System images and backups.

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per your query, I like to inform you that; if a copy of C drive on any external storage media/system partition cannot be used for system recovery purposes. You need to create System image backup using File history.

To create system image on Windows 10 follow the below methods.

• Type File history in the search area on the taskbar and select File history.

• Click on System image backup on the left bottom corner of the Window file history Window.

• Click on Create System Image on the left panel of the System Image backup windows.

• Select the driver, where you want to Create system Image.

• Follow on screen instruction.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

Windows Storage Space vs. Backup/Filesystem/System image recovery

1. Windows Storage Space vs. Backup/Filesystem/System image recovery - Similar Threads - Storage Space Backup

2. System Image vs File Backup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Image vs File Backup?: Sorry if this is the wrong subreddit for this, but after fiddling around with the Windows File System backup and having it run into a bunch of issues, I finally decided to get the Macrium Reflect software. Now that I have easier access to making a system image though, I’m...
  3. Windows System Image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows System Image backup: I want to create a System Image backup of my PC running Windows 10. The hard disk has no partitions, its a single drive with 57 GB used. I am planning to use a 1 Tb external HDD for the backupWill my external HDD get formatted during the backup process?How much space...
  4. Storage device names: FileSystem names vs BIOS names vs Settings->Devices names?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage device names: FileSystem names vs BIOS names vs Settings->Devices names?: The hardware storage devices on my computer have three names: File Explorer program gives them a name; during boot-up the BIOS program gives them a name; when I purchased them the hardware manufacturer gave them a name. I am utterly unable to equate these names, so that I...
  5. Windows Storage Spaces backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Storage Spaces backup: I'm running an 250 GB Ssd for the os and 2 4TB Hdd' s in a two way mirror with pool size set at 10TB didn't figure i would need more used for gaming and music mostly my question is , what size external Hdd would be ideal for backing up this size pool and some solid but...
  6. Windows backup best practice: system image vs. personal documents

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows backup best practice: system image vs. personal documents: Hello, I would like to make full system images to recover from a dead hard drive, and frequent incremental backups of my documents to recover from accidents/malware etc. My documents are large (over 500GB). If I kept them in C: then system images would be huge slow and take...
  7. Backup and Recovery of Windows Image.

Backup and Recovery of Windows Image.: Hi, I want to maintain a System Backup image so that whenever something goes wrong with my laptop I can restore Windows to the exact same point at the time of my Backup. Restore Point is an Option if Windows is working fine, But I want a backup that can recover everything...
  8. File History vs System Image Backup

File History vs System Image Backup: Hi! I have a question regarding File History vs System Image Backup, that I haven't been able to find online unfortunately. System Image Backup is something that I understand can be scheduled to ones needs, daily, weekly or so forth, and can be done on specific folders...
  9. Storage spaces recovery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage spaces recovery: Hello, my ten year old PC that had been relegated to a file/media server has finally quit on me. Thinking it was a power supply issue I bought a new one but apparently that was not the problem. I don't really have an interest in throwing anymore money into it, I just want the...
  10. recovery vs image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    recovery vs image: yesterday I created a recovery disc , do I still need to create an image disc as well ? 17363