Windows 10: Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason

Discus and support Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been using my Windows storage space for a year or so with no problems at all, but recently I've noticed folders and files are disappearing.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kaigott, May 13, 2021.

1. kaigott Win User

Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason

I've been using my Windows storage space for a year or so with no problems at all, but recently I've noticed folders and files are disappearing. Currently running build 19042.985 Checked all of the storage space info, all 4 drives are still are still marked as OK, and it shows the correct pool size and used space. However, when I right click on the properties of the storage space in Windows Explorer, it only says that 2.76 TB are used, when 4.30 TB are used. Additionally, I am unable to see around 600gb of files that I've been looking for, and there is no sign of physical issues with the drives. I've used both chkdsk /f and SFC which return no errors, so I'm becoming very confused. Hoping to find some answers, most of the data is safe already but I'm wanting to try to rebuild what I have here. Thanks!

:)

kaigott, May 13, 2021

2. Any way to downgrade ver. of MS Storage spaces volume w/o data loss?

1. Install Windows 1607 & 1709 dual boot system
    2. Connect two free disks
    3. Boot into 1607
    4. Create storage pool, assign two free disks, create two-way mirror volume
    5. Copy data to new volume
    6. Reboot into 1709
    7. Upgrade your Storage Space pool to gain new features as MS suggests
    8. Reboot into 1607
    9. Your Storage Space configuration looks now as in the picture, volume is inaccessible
    10. Notice that doing step 7 was not the smartest idea, data are now accessible only from Windows 1709.

Question: Is it possible to simply revert Storage Spaces metadata back to version 1607? Answer: No. It is necessary to backup data, destroy upgraded pool, create new pool & mirror in Windows 1607, and restore data.

Is it so hard to understand what necros asks for?

muchomurka, May 13, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Storage Spaces

Question;

Have a RAID 0 storage pool in Windows 10. The storage pool has 952 GB of usable space, it currently has 6.06 GB of space used. I ran a system clean-up which wrote data to securely erase empty hard drive space. Now I get a warning that my storage pool is
    full. I wrote a large group of files approximately 41 GB to the space to verify there wasn't an actual limitation. After all the files copied without issue I deleted them and noticed that the pool went from no capacity to 911 GB in use, the amount that was
    written and then deleted.

I have searched but not come across this issue in any internet searches. Perhaps I am not searching for the correct terminology?

Any suggestions for correcting the storage spaces error without affecting the data on the pool? The reason of concern is that the drive has a SoildWorks vault space and I would prefer not to delete it and have to recreate it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Anthony P77, May 13, 2021
  4. StephenQX Win User

Windows 10 Storage Spaces Improvements?

Are you using 3 column parity? This is the default setting for parity spaces in the Windows 8.1 GUI. If so, this is the reason for your high overhead. 3 column single-parity incurrs a 50% storage overhead (1 parity shard for every 2 data shards)

This makes sense for small pools containing 3 or 4 physical disks. However it is a poor choice with 14 physical disks.

In your case I suggest a 12 column dual-parity space. This means 2 parity shards for every 10 data shards. This will allow for recovery from two drive failures and give only a 20% storage overhead.

Unfortunately the Windows 8.1 GUI is too basic to allow creation of such a space. You need to use Powershell. You can create such a space on your existing storage pool and move data to it from your existing parity space. As you move the data your free space
    will increase.

StephenQX, May 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason - Similar Threads - storage spaces data

2. Missing storage space in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing storage space in Windows 10: Where is my another 55GB space?Please see my attached picture:All files on C drive is 128GBTotal disk size for space: 236GBSo correct my available space should be 108GB, but in C drive it shows Free Space is 54.8GB, where is my another 53.2GB space?Can you explain to me?...
  3. Missing storage space in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing storage space in Windows 10: Where is my another 55GB space?Please see my attached picture:All files on C drive is 128GBTotal disk size for space: 236GBSo correct my available space should be 108GB, but in C drive it shows Free Space is 54.8GB, where is my another 53.2GB space?Can you explain to me?...
  4. Missing storage space in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Data missing after running chkdsk, but storage space hasn't changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data missing after running chkdsk, but storage space hasn't changed: When I turned on my computer Windows 11, I got this error for my external G-drive 6TB: "external drive is not accessible. the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". So, I ran a chkdsk command against the hard drive, which took 8 hours. My computer now sees the drive....
  6. Storage Spaces drive missing

Storage Spaces drive missing: My storage spaces "two-way mirror" pool has lost one of the drives after using the drive individually in another PC. The drive shows up as green and "okay", but none of the updated files are on it and it doesn't show up when connected alone. When running recovery software...
  7. Storage Spaces drive missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces drive missing: My storage spaces "two-way mirror" pool has lost one of the drives after using the drive individually in another PC. The drive shows up as green and "okay", but none of the updated files are on it and it doesn't show up when connected alone. When running recovery software...
  8. Storage Spaces drive missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Windows storage miscalculation/ missing space

Windows storage miscalculation/ missing space: Windows 10 gave me a storage warning and I went on a rampage deleting unnecessary files on my laptop. I however noticed in my storage settings that temporary files were taking up a lot of space. Investigating further, the overall numbers do not seem to match up with what is...
  10. Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows storage spaces data missing for no reason: I've been using my Windows storage space for a year or so with no problems at all, but recently I've noticed folders and files are disappearing. Currently running build 19042.985 Checked all of the storage space info, all 4 drives are still are still marked as OK, and it...