Windows 10: Windows Storage Spaces Utilization Discrepancy

Discus and support Windows Storage Spaces Utilization Discrepancy in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've searched high-and-low for an answer to this but haven't figured it out yet. So before I wipe, reinitialize, and then restore from backup, I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mazer 101, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Mazer 101 Win User

Windows Storage Spaces Utilization Discrepancy

I've searched high-and-low for an answer to this but haven't figured it out yet. So before I wipe, reinitialize, and then restore from backup, I'm here hoping for an answer.

I'm using Windows Storage Spaces to create a single-drive Parity space using 5x2TB hard drives. All five drives are recognized and show as healthy in my setup. This should give me 4x"2TB" worth of storage capacity in the pool (real-world ~7.2TB). I'm using ~5.7TB of storage, so I should have an additional ~1.5TB of space. However, Windows Storage Spaces is telling me that my drives are all 99.9% or 100% utilized. After deleting a 500GB folder, Storage Spaces is still telling me that all of my drives are fully-utilized and I have zero remaining storage.

This obviously can't be. I can't "see" the missing 1.5TB of data. I've run CCleaner, WinDirStat, checked for hidden files/folders, and am currently running DISM.exe to allow me to run SFC.exe based on a new Question I've found answered on here. However, I have little hope that either of those will do much for me.

:)

Mazer 101, Jan 29, 2019

2. Windows 10 Storage Discrepancy

I have Windows 10 Home Premium with the April 2018 update installed on and Acer Aspire tablet.he

I have noticed and odd discrepancy in the reported used and free space between the C drive properties and the Windows 10 Storage app in Settings.

The afforementioned C drive properties reports the C drive as having 21GB of used space and 7.41GB of free space.

The Windows Storage app in settings is reporting slightly differently with 21.7GB used and 7.38GB free

I also have a Micro SD card mounted which does not appear to show any discrepancy in the reported storage space.

Windows Storage Spaces Utilization Discrepancy 2b3193cd-9614-4b0b-8202-2f90cea9742e?upload=true.png

Any ideas for the discrepancy?

Regards,

Barney

barney_bloggs, Jan 29, 2019
  3. jasonh Win User
    Storage Spaces Utilization Doesn't Make Sense

Here's my setup:

Windows 10

• 1 2TB USB3 drive
    • 1 3TB USB3 drive
    • 3.59 TB Two way mirror storage space built from these drives

Previously I had 2x 2TB drives, but one failed, so the replacement is 3TB. I did the math on the utilization percentages of the individual drives and they're both equally loaded, but each at only half of the used amount of the pool. The storage space is using 1.59 TB of space, but each drive's individual utilization is only half of that.

Why is this? Shouldn't each drive be utilizing the full amount of the storage space's data? Shouldn't I be right at the limit of the first 2 TB drive and be in need of adding two more drives to expand storage capacity?

jasonh, Jan 29, 2019
  4. 56Kruiser Win User

Problem with Storage Space

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

Any idea if it might be possible to run a utility against the disk to repair it? Not sure if it being in a storage space would cause that to be non-feasible.

Heading out to check out the programs you suggested.

56Kruiser, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Storage Spaces Utilization Discrepancy - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces Utilization

2. Major discrepancy in disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Major discrepancy in disk space: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/IG_CrimsonTwilight [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m75oe4/major_discrepancy_in_disk_space/
  3. Weird Discrepancies in Backup Disk Space?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Weird Discrepancies in Backup Disk Space?: So basically on my C: Drive Windows is taking up about 60GB of space. The disk image I created on my internal HDD is 90GB and the one I just created on my new external HDD is 40GB. Anyone got any idea what that's all about? 170399
  4. Windows Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Storage Spaces: I see this question alot lately, but no firm answers. I have a 60TB storage enclosure with 54TB of video. This was configured using Storage Spaces and named the pool "Example". All worked fine on this one specific machine with Windows 10 1903. It worked so well that I...
  5. Apps and features storage discrepancy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Apps and features storage discrepancy: When I look at my storage space in settings, it says apps and features take up 64.5 gb. However, when I go into the control panel and look at the list of installed programs and features there, it says they only total to 1.45 gb. Anyone know what's causing this discrepancy?...
  6. Storage space

Storage space: I've been trying to install the newest update. However, it says I need more disk space. I've looked online and on the Microsoft website and deleted everything I can. There's nothing in downloads, temporary files, pictures, videos or anything that isn't needed for it to run...
  7. Storage Spaces

Storage Spaces: I have a 4-bay enclosure of 8TB drives (32TB total) set to parity using Storage spaces. I would suspect I would be able to get about 2/3 (66%) capacity or about 21TB after allowing for parity. However it's telling me that the total capacity is only 14TB. How does that make...
  8. Storage Space

Storage Space: [ATTACH]This may seem like a silly question but can someone please tell me if something is going here that needs any action? I am getting a notification that my laptop that’s linked with my microsoft account needs my attention. When I follow through with where it leads me...
  9. How do I utilize OneDrive for freeing up storage space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I utilize OneDrive for freeing up storage space?: I have a lot of photos on Dropbox and wanted to switch them over to OneDrive, as my Dropbox was full and I have unlimited OneDrive space so I may as well utilize it, but after moving everything over, all the photos are showing up in the OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer....
  10. Large discrepancy in C drive used disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Large discrepancy in C drive used disk space: Could someone help explain why there is an over 5G difference in the used disk space on my "C" partition? The windows properties tab shows 33.3GB used, but I can't find where it's all being used. If I add up the space used for each folder, it only adds up to 28GB. This is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows Storage Spaces Utilization Discrepancy