Windows 10: Windows Storage Spaces

Discus and support Windows Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I see this question alot lately, but no firm answers. I have a 60TB storage enclosure with 54TB of video. This was configured using Storage Spaces... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Saleen-Stangin, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Windows Storage Spaces

I see this question alot lately, but no firm answers.

I have a 60TB storage enclosure with 54TB of video. This was configured using Storage Spaces and named the pool "Example". All worked fine on this one specific machine with Windows 10 1903. It worked so well that I had to buy another 60TB enclosure and do the exact same with it. Then I even put the exact same video files on this one using the old one. This one I named the pool "Example2".

Now a year has gone by and I need some of the video. I plug in pool "Example" to a Windows machine with Windows 10 1909 on it and the pool sees the enclosure, all drives showing healthy and the pool named just as it should be... but WAIT... all of a sudden a "You need to format this drive" box pops up. ****?? No.. NO.. NOOO.. not good.

So I go into Disk Management and see this drive type is now RAM. ****... really?? Ok, well I have a secondary backup.. named Example2. So I plug in this enclosure and the exact same thing with this one comes up.

Now understand.. both enclosures are the exact same type and size. Both built the same, just named differently. After reading, I see Microsoft has admitted to the 2004 package build being an issue, but my machines are only at 1909. I tried and older OS device with Windows 10 1803, with no help there either.

Has ANYONE come up with any idea as to why this is happening? Drivers for the Storage or Spaces controller maybe? Something we can roll back and get these drives working again.. at least so I can get the data off of it?

BTW.. using powershell to set the virtual disk to ReadOnly, does NOT work. Disk is still RAM and cannot access data.

Basically this step does not fix the issue:

get-virtualdisk ? WriteCacheSize -gt 0 get-disk set-disk -IsReadOnly $true

Any thoughts or fixes is greatly appreciated.

:)

Saleen-Stangin, Jun 19, 2020

2. I have an HP Stream Laptop and I keep running out of storage space

Hi Jay,

If a category can't show the folders that it contains, there is a possibility that the folders are somehow hidden. To maximize your PC's storage, follow the suggested steps in these links:

If further help is needed, let us know.

Darleen Pen, Jun 19, 2020
  3. 333t Win User
    How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

4. topgundcp Win User

Windows Storage Spaces

Conflicting information on my Storage Space...

From disk management, it does report the same storage and used space as from explorer.
    May I ask did you try to create a storage pool or something ? if so, you should not mess with this.

Is this disk an external disk connected via USB ? WD or Seagate branch ?

I have the feeling that this disk is formatted with GPT type using 512K emulation so Windows get confused. To verify:

1. Right click on Disk 6 ->Properties->Volumes. What does it show on partition styles ? GPT ?
    2. Download Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free, install then run. What does it show on disk 7 ? MBR ?

If step 1 shows GPT and step 2 shows MBR then definitely the disk was formatted using 512K emulation. The reason they did this so that it would be recognized by WinXP or if you connect it to a TV.

Windows Updates failed is another problem you have. First, it tried to updates from 1703 -> 1709 and failed so any subsequent updates to 1803 also failed.

topgundcp, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

Windows Storage Spaces

1. Windows Storage Spaces - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces

2. How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?: I have 4X 4TB drives configured as RAID 1 mirroring. I assumed that meant that a copy of the data was also stored on the other drives since only 8TB of the 16TB is available. I ID'd the failing drive and replaced it. I'm unable to remove the drive from the pool even though...
  3. How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?: I have 4X 4TB drives configured as RAID 1 mirroring. I assumed that meant that a copy of the data was also stored on the other drives since only 8TB of the 16TB is available. I ID'd the failing drive and replaced it. I'm unable to remove the drive from the pool even though...
  4. How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't shrink the disk even though i ahve disk space in my storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't shrink the disk even though i ahve disk space in my storage: i was trying to install ubuntu as dual boot in my system.When i tried to search for the free space it was not available. so i decided to partition my diskOS in the windows itself nut when i was trying to shrink the shrinkable memory was not same as the free space in the disk....
  6. I can't shrink the disk even though i ahve disk space in my storage

I can't shrink the disk even though i ahve disk space in my storage: i was trying to install ubuntu as dual boot in my system.When i tried to search for the free space it was not available. so i decided to partition my diskOS in the windows itself nut when i was trying to shrink the shrinkable memory was not same as the free space in the disk....
  7. I Lose storage Space on my Main drive even though i only downloaded on my External drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Lose storage Space on my Main drive even though i only downloaded on my External drive: I was clearing space on my Google drive and downloaded some Files To An external Drive Then my Main drive lost About 600Mb and I when i delete something i lose Space again...
  8. I Lose storage Space on my Main drive even though i only downloaded on my External drive

I Lose storage Space on my Main drive even though i only downloaded on my External drive: I was clearing space on my Google drive and downloaded some Files To An external Drive Then my Main drive lost About 600Mb and I when i delete something i lose Space again...
  9. I Lose storage Space on my Main drive even though i only downloaded on my External drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. My storage on SSD C: i think is losing space

My storage on SSD C: i think is losing space: My storage on SSD C: i think is losing space i got a glimpse of it happening from 88,2 GB free of 216 GB to 83,2 GB free of 216 GB, is it normal for it to happend because the screen become black twice when it happend only showing my cursor after reaching 83,2 GB free it stop....