Windows 10: Windows store Cant change default location

Discus and support Windows store Cant change default location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Im trying to download games from the Windows Store/Xbox App but cant install them onto my games hard drive because its not listed in the drop down menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ickpers, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Ickpers Win User

Windows store Cant change default location

Im trying to download games from the Windows Store/Xbox App but cant install them onto my games hard drive because its not listed in the drop down menu or any other menu choices in the storage settings. The drive works and is listed in "This PC" and in Disk Management.
    I have an SSD installed specifically for games and want to install the games onto it. Here is a screenshot with the games drive (G) not listed.

Windows store Cant change default location [​IMG]

:)

Ickpers, Jun 12, 2019

2. Changing the default storage designation for the Microsoft Windows Store and various apps.

Hi Isaac,

The default storage location for the Windows store and apps is in system location where Windows is stored (This PC-> C drive), if you want to change the default location of the apps then I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the settings
    and check if it helps.

• Open Settings and click on the System icon.
    • Click on Storage on the left side, on the right side under
      Save locations, select the drive to where you want your
      documents
      , music, pictures, and/or
      videos
      to be saved to by default.
    • Click/tap on Apply.

The above settings option is available only from the Windows version (10586), I suggest you to check in which version of Windows build in installed on your computer.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Jun 12, 2019
  3. Can I Change My Default Desktop Location??

Hello Lucas,

You may change the default location for the desktop and library folders on Windows 10.

To change the default location of the folders, please follow these steps:

• Click Start, type This PC and press
      Enter
    • Right-click the Desktop folder and select Properties.
    • Go to Location tab and click Move.
    • Find the new location for the Desktop folder and click
      Select
      Folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

The steps must be done on each of the library folders.

Regards.

Devlin Sco, Jun 12, 2019
  4. Windows store Cant change default location

Default Save Locations

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

By default we cannot change the installation location for Apps, however it can be changed through registry changes.

I would suggest you to make the changes if you are comfortable working with registry because if we make any small mistakes, we can make the computer unbootable.

You need to be logged in as the administrator to perform this actions:

• Press Windows keys +R, type regedit and hit Enter.
    • Go to this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx
    On the right-side, double-click on PackageRoot and change the default value data to the location of your other drive/external drive. For instance, if drive letter is “G”, then enter G:\ in the value data box, and then click Ok button
    to set your drive as default location for apps.

We suggest you create a new folder under the root of your drive and enter the path of that folder so that you can use the drive to store other files as well. That is, create a folder named
    WinApps on the drive, enter G:\WinApps (replace “G” with drive’s letter) as the location in value data box.

From now on, whenever you install a new app from the Store, Windows 10 will install them on the other drive.

NOTE: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that
    you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number
    to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows store Cant change default location

1. Windows store Cant change default location - Similar Threads - store Cant change

2. Changing default file location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default file location: Dear All, Is there any DOS command that can change the default of C:\Users\ to another drive location ?Pls advise Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-file-location/b3587943-e145-4402-8e37-a92ebe876302
  3. Cant change default app location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant change default app location: I Recently installed windows on my new SSD, and i am trying to change my default install location to my D drive, but it keeps giving me error code 0x80070005. I've followed a rabbit hole of fixes and tutorials on user permission changes, sharing setting and command prompt...
  4. Cant change default app location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant change default app location: I Recently installed windows on my new SSD, and i am trying to change my default install location to my D drive, but it keeps giving me error code 0x80070005. I've followed a rabbit hole of fixes and tutorials on user permission changes, sharing setting and command prompt...
  5. Cant change default app location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. cant change windows store install location

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    cant change windows store install location: I am unable to install games from windows store on my other drive. even though i have changed the default drive for apps to install on they still install on my C drive instead of my A drive and when i click install i am not given the option to choose which drive it installs...
  7. Cant change default apps location 0x8007005 how to fix

Cant change default apps location 0x8007005 how to fix: I went to change my location of where my apps are downloading but i keep keep this error and it wont allow me to download my games on xbox app [ATTACH]...
  8. Change Default Installation Location?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Default Installation Location?: Hello! I was wondering if there was a way to change my default "C:" drive location to my storage "E:" drive location. I have some programs that I am trying to install and they are automatically installing themselves into the "C:" drive. So I was hoping there was a way to...
  9. Changing Default Save Location

Changing Default Save Location: Just upgraded SSD and installed fresh version of Windows 10 version 1909. My SSD is the C: drive. Prior to the SSD upgrade, files such as Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures were saved to my D: Hard Drive. Example: D: >Gagnon >Documents In other words my D:...
  10. Windows store Cant change default location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows store Cant change default location: Im trying to download games from the Windows Store/Xbox App but cant install them onto my games hard drive because its not listed in the drop down menu or any other menu choices in the storage settings. The drive works and is listed in "This PC" and in Disk Management. I have...