Windows 10: Windows Store still using old storage location - and a second question too about the store...

Discus and support Windows Store still using old storage location - and a second question too about the store... in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I followed the steps outlined to change the default install location for apps from the store, and I set it to my C: drive. The prior location was my... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by shanafan, Dec 5, 2018.

1. shanafan Win User

Windows Store still using old storage location - and a second question too about the store...

I followed the steps outlined to change the default install location for apps from the store, and I set it to my C: drive.

The prior location was my D: drive, but even after changing the setting, and resetting the Windows Store, I still see folders pop in the D: under the WindowsApps folder with timestamps that occurred AFTER my location change.

I went into the registry based on a Google search, and the registry shows C: drive as the right location. Any ideas why the store is still using the old location?

I found some other guides online to fully reset and even re-install the store, so I might try that, but just curious if anyone else has ideas.

ALSO, a second question.. when I look at the folders that are sitting in the WindowsApps folder, I see ones that say Facebook, and Twitter, etc. I have not installed these apps from the store, so any idea why I see folders for them?

Thanks!

:)

shanafan, Dec 5, 2018

2. Changing the default storage designation for the Microsoft Windows Store and various apps.

Hi Isaac,

The default storage location for the Windows store and apps is in system location where Windows is stored (This PC-> C drive), if you want to change the default location of the apps then I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the settings
    and check if it helps.

• Open Settings and click on the System icon.
    • Click on Storage on the left side, on the right side under
      Save locations, select the drive to where you want your
      documents
      , music, pictures, and/or
      videos
      to be saved to by default.
    • Click/tap on Apply.

The above settings option is available only from the Windows version (10586), I suggest you to check in which version of Windows build in installed on your computer.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Dec 5, 2018
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows Store 10 cents deals

Change your region for Windows Store

95Viper, Dec 5, 2018
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Windows Store still using old storage location - and a second question too about the store...

Getting Windows 10 to recognize an old app install location

Hello Luke,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I would like to inform you that you will need to re-install the game as some components of the game might not work properly which can cause the game to crash. However, you can download and install the game/apps from the store on an external drive.

Here are the steps on how you can install program to a different drive from a store.

• Go to windows settings.
    • Then click on System and then on Storage.
    • Under "Save locations," and on "New apps will save to," select the new drive location.

Once you completed the steps, new apps you download from the Windows Store will now install automatically in the new location.

Hope it helps.

Naresh Kumar

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Naresh_K, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Store still using old storage location - and a second question too about the store... - Similar Threads - Store still using

2. A question about Microsoft Store and Windows Spotlight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A question about Microsoft Store and Windows Spotlight: I have read that in order for the Windows Spotlight feature to work properly, Microsoft Store must be enabled in the Background Apps settings. However, I have had it set to "off" for months now and the Windows Spotlight feature seems to work fine.Should I allow the Microsoft...
  3. question about microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    question about microsoft store: why did you build the Microsoft store? We could just use the website to download apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-microsoft-store/f024450e-425d-4136-889c-4d9517b09193
  4. question about microsoft store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    question about microsoft store: why did you build the Microsoft store? We could just use the website to download apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-microsoft-store/f024450e-425d-4136-889c-4d9517b09193
  5. question about microsoft store

6. Question about the Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about the Microsoft Store: Hi everybody Is there a way to check the status of a update when a app/game is updating? In my case a game called sea of thieves. Any help would be apricated...
  7. Windows Store App Storage Location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Store App Storage Location: I would wish to move the storage of my windows apps into a subdirectory on an external storage device. I'm aware that I can put windows apps on an external drive, but it gives me no option to set a subdirectory so that My drive doesn't have 3-4 different folders just so I can...
  8. Question about the Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about the Microsoft Store: A new game called the Outer Worlds will be released next week on only the Epic Store and the Microsoft store. I'm thinking of buying it on the Microsoft store because I don't want to support Epic, but I've heard some concerning things about the Microsoft store and I want to...
  9. Question about changing the storage location for different things

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about changing the storage location for different things: My question is in Windows 10 I know that you go to settings storage and select a different drive to store things on, you can even select things like documents, music, photos and select where you save them by default. When I click on the drop-down it gives me an option of all...
  10. Question about Windows 10 Store

Question about Windows 10 Store: I am not going to use the Store or Universal apps. I disabled automatic updates for apps in Store. But I like them to be maintained so every few days I open the Store and update them manually. I did that tonight, there were 2 updates available, I updated the apps manually but...