Windows 10: Windows store, xbox, companion app doesnt work with local DNS server but everything else works

Discus and support Windows store, xbox, companion app doesnt work with local DNS server but everything else works in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I have very strange problem. I'm using dnscrypt for many years and now when i moved to win10 and tried to check windows store and xbox game pass i cant... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by Filip.fitom, May 1, 2020.

1. Windows store, xbox, companion app doesnt work with local DNS server but everything else works

I have very strange problem. I'm using dnscrypt for many years and now when i moved to win10 and tried to check windows store and xbox game pass i cant access them. Internet and everything else is working fine including windows updates

Network status in settings app is showing all fine "you are connected to internet" , no yellow exclamation mark on connection icon.

First I suspected dnscrypt proxy, to mishandle some queries coming from store apps and to be at fault but with further troubleshooting it has to be something with store [apps] and how they resolve stuff or something. As for everything else DNS is flawless.

Problem:

With dns server configured on local address @127., windows store wont connect its usual nw errors like Code: 0x00000194 - store is OK initially i did numerous store troubleshooting reinstalling, purging cache etc but thats not the problem here - when i start xbox companion app it is unable to connect - it just shows "welcome back" like I'm logged but when i click "lets play" it just blinks back to login prompt and "we cant sign you in right now try again later"

workaround:

If I put 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 etc as DNS everything suddenly works fine.

Config:

So my DNS server setting is 127.0.0.9 where dnscrypt listens and forwards queries to public resolvers , I have also disabled windows native "dnscache" service, as dnscrypt does caching itself. However there seems to be bug with dnscache disabled as ipconfig /all no longer shows dns servers, its also not showed in network connections and clicking on nw adapter -> status , it DNS server info is empty.

I also have ipv6 disabled.

Win10 x64 1909 18363.815

<code>

C:\Windows\System\BIND9.14.9.x64>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : name
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter doma:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XXXXX
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.33Preferred
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network:
    </code>

there is no DNS server info in output, neither with /displaydns - as this relies on dnscache service which is not good imo

<code>

C:\Windows\System\BIND9.14.9.x64>ipconfig /displaydns

Windows IP Configuration

Could not display the DNS Resolver Cache.

</code>

same with powershell

<code>

PS C:\Windows\system32> get-netipconfiguration
    InterfaceAlias : doma
    InterfaceIndex : 9
    InterfaceDescription : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
    NetProfile.Name : Network 4
    IPv4Address : 192.168.0.33
    IPv4DefaultGateway : 192.168.0.1
    DNSServer :
    </code>

DNS works:

C:\Windows\System\BIND9.14.9.x64>nslookup microsoft.com
    Server: 127.0.0.9
    Address: 127.0.0.9#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: microsoft.com
    Address: 13.77.161.179
    Name: microsoft.com
    Address: 40.76.4.15

I ruled out dnscrypt proxy issue by

a running unbound resolver @127.0.0.4, which forwarded queries to dnscrypt 127.0.0.9

b running unbound resolver @127.0.0.4, which forwarded queries to public DNS like 1.1.1.1

In both cases problem persists. So it must be flaw in store/xbox possibly other store apps but i dont use anything else as 1.1.1.1 works perfectly fine but if its "routed" via local unbound DNS apps dont work.

Good third test would be if I could run unbound/dnscrypt at some public IP but I dont have any PC/server outside my lan.

Any idea what could be wrong?

:)

Filip.fitom, May 1, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

The Microsoft Store, and the Xbox app doesn't work!

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to launch Microsoft Store, Xbox app and GameBar. I’ll certainly help you with this issue.

However, please let us know:

• Do you receive any error message?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 are you using currently? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below:

For issues with launching Microsoft Store, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned in the article

Microsoft Store doesn't launch

Method 1: Store app troubleshooter

I would suggest you to run the Store app troubleshooter and check. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open Settings.
    2. Click on Update & Security and select Troubleshoot from the left pane.
    3. Scroll down, click on Windows Store apps and select Run the troubleshooter.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Re-register apps

If Store app troubleshooter doesn’t work, I would suggest you to try re-registering the apps using PowerShell. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + X, and select
      Windows PowerShell (Admin).
    2. Paste the following command and press Enter:
      Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    3. Once the process is complete, restart the computer and check.

Method 3: New user account

If re-registering the apps didn’t work, try creating a new user account and check if the issue persists. Refer the article
    Create
    a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 1, 2020
  3. Aquinus Win User
    DNS Servers

I run a DNS server locally, so when a domain is already cached, I get it back almost instantly, otherwise it responds as fast as the first server in my list (75.75.75.75 in my case.)

Aquinus, May 1, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows store, xbox, companion app doesnt work with local DNS server but everything else works

Weather App not working windows 8.1

I have no problems with the weather app... on my pc, tablets, laptops, or windows phones.
    Must be regional/local problems.

Or, your store/app data files may be corrupt.
    Might want to try the apps troubleshooter.

95Viper, May 1, 2020
Thema:

Windows store, xbox, companion app doesnt work with local DNS server but everything else works

1. Windows store, xbox, companion app doesnt work with local DNS server but everything else works - Similar Threads - store xbox companion

2. None of my Microsoft apps are working, microsoft store, xbox app, xbox companion, microsoft...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    None of my Microsoft apps are working, microsoft store, xbox app, xbox companion, microsoft...: I've been having trouble with logging into my Microsoft apps for a while now and nothing that I try works https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/none-of-my-microsoft-apps-are-working-microsoft/6b58c3e0-c41d-4bdd-8f48-ef81567a1ff7
  3. None of my Microsoft apps are working, microsoft store, xbox app, xbox companion, microsoft...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    None of my Microsoft apps are working, microsoft store, xbox app, xbox companion, microsoft...: I've been having trouble with logging into my Microsoft apps for a while now and nothing that I try works https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/none-of-my-microsoft-apps-are-working-microsoft/6b58c3e0-c41d-4bdd-8f48-ef81567a1ff7
  4. None of my Microsoft apps are working, microsoft store, xbox app, xbox companion, microsoft...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Xbox companion app not working

Xbox companion app not working: Never had a problem until I removed Adobe Flash Player. Now can't open program. Removed and reinstalled program, but same result. Opens with just a spinning wheel symbol....
  6. Xbox Companion App Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Xbox Companion App Not Working: This question Revolves around the Xbox Companion App for pc, not the Xbox App. Just to make that clear since they are two different apps. So, roughly 3 months ago I started having issues with the companion app. First it wouldn't let me sign in, kept buffering. Now,...
  7. Microphone not working on Xbox companion app

Microphone not working on Xbox companion app: Hello, my microphone is having trouble on the xbox gamebar and companion app. Nobody can hear me, but I can hear everyone. I set my recording device both in the audio settings for the xbox gamebar, and in the sound control panel as the default device for sound and...
  8. Xbox Companion App party chat not working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Xbox Companion App party chat not working?: Hey. So I'm currently on Windows 10 using the Xbox Companion App, and I'm trying to join my friend's party chat (who is on Xbox One). However, when I join the party (or they join my party), I can't hear them and they can't hear me. When I speak into my microphone, I can see...
  9. xbox companion app party not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    xbox companion app party not working: on the xbox companion app when I create my own party and other people join I'm able to hear them and they can hear me, but when I join their parties it will be say that me and all other people in the party are connecting. I just got my pc so I'm not sure how to fix it, can...
  10. Local DNS Server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Local DNS Server: HI, i am using TWO Diff Forest Dcs. One is pow.com another is bloom.com. both are same network and each DC hase its own DNS servers. For all my users using pow.com domain and DNS server as primary. bloom.com is my DEV servers DC. in this domain one server having IIS...