Windows 10: Windows stuck on shut down or restart

Discus and support Windows stuck on shut down or restart in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello! When I am trying to restart or shut down my laptop and I'm getting stuck on the "restarting" or "Shutting down" screens with the dots, even if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by denis331, Nov 2, 2020.

1. denis331 Win User

Windows stuck on shut down or restart

Hello! When I am trying to restart or shut down my laptop and I'm getting stuck on the "restarting" or "Shutting down" screens with the dots, even if I press restart anyway or shut down anyway. Booting up is not affected at all.

I tried several solutions from the Internet such as sfc /scannow in the cmd window, disabling fast startup, running system maintenance for over 2 hours, restarting the Update Service in the command prompt, disabling delivery optimization etc...

Also I found out that I could Alt+Tab when I'm restarting or shutting down and I saw 2 strange programs named: "Blocked Shutdown" and "Windows sign-in". What could these 2 mean?

Windows stuck on shut down or restart [​IMG]

Windows stuck on shut down or restart [​IMG]

From what I've seen it might be a problem with the last Windows versionmy current version is 20H2 19042.610 or that it could be the Intel Graphics driver that I uninstalled then tried to restart but I'm still getting stuck there and the only thing I can do is force shutdown by holding the power button. After my laptop turns on the driver automatically reinstalls.

Also 1 week ago I installed BlueStacks to access some apps so I don't have to use my phone and found out that it also interferes with the shutdown and restart of Windows but learned that if I close it in the Task Manager before I shutdown there aren't any problems.

Is there anything else I can try or do I have to perform a reset?

:)

denis331, Nov 2, 2020
  2. ilgoldman Win User

Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Windows stuck on shut down or restart :confused:*Mad Windows stuck on shut down or restart :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Nov 2, 2020
  3. little cat, Nov 2, 2020
  4. Cake5 Win User

Laptop restarts when i try to shut down

What methods have you used to shut it down? The usual ways are to open Start, click the power icon and then choose Shut Down. Alternatively you can go onto the desktop and press Alt+F4 to open the shut down/restart dialog. Third,
    type "shut down" into the Start search and click the "shut down" entry.

Also see
    this forum post
    from 2015. Microsoft staff member answer below copied from linked:

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then try to shut down.

Method 2:

I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 3:

If the above method doesn’t help, I suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back to their default settings. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Method 4: Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are

causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot"
    in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Ravindra R Kamath

Microsoft Community

Cake5, Nov 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows stuck on shut down or restart - Similar Threads - stuck shut down

2. Stuck on shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on shutting down: Hi, I need help with my windows 10/11 computer and they get stuck on shutting down. I tried replacing the hard drive I backed up all of my data and replaced it to the other hard drive and also I tried an SSD and they didn’t fix it I tried. I enabled status, messages and...
  3. Stuck on shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on shutting down: Hi, I need help with my windows 10/11 computer and they get stuck on shutting down. I tried replacing the hard drive I backed up all of my data and replaced it to the other hard drive and also I tried an SSD and they didn’t fix it I tried. I enabled status, messages and...
  4. Stuck on shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Stuck in Shutting Down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in Shutting Down: My laptop has been stuck in shutting down lately then blue screen right after. May I ask how to solve this? Thank you.PS: I have included the dump files in the link below.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amvk0yAZWVBkmVKmxyCi2jzOlAOk?e=AE8dji...
  6. Stuck in Shutting Down

Stuck in Shutting Down: My laptop has been stuck in shutting down lately then blue screen right after. May I ask how to solve this? Thank you.PS: I have included the dump files in the link below.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amvk0yAZWVBkmVKmxyCi2jzOlAOk?e=AE8dji...
  7. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  8. Shut down or restart

Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  9. Restart + Shutting down

Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  10. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...