Windows 10: Windows suddenly took control of certain folders and won't let me take control back

Discus and support Windows suddenly took control of certain folders and won't let me take control back in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all. A while back I wrote a batch file that disables all Windows Update and related services and then deletes the directory to which it downloads... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by N8RB8, Sep 8, 2019.

1. N8RB8 Win User

Windows suddenly took control of certain folders and won't let me take control back

Hi all.

A while back I wrote a batch file that disables all Windows Update and related services and then deletes the directory to which it downloads update information/files to. Up until today this batch file (when run as Administrator) worked without fail. However, Windows has suddenly taken ownership of the Software Distribution folder and I no longer am able to delete it. I attempted to clear all permissions from the folder and all children and set myself as the owner, to which I get an error message saying I need my own user permission to delete the folder still.

I have been running this batch file for well over 2 years and have never encountered this issue. Clearly no updates had been installed either. But after several attempts now to regain ownership of the folder, Windows seems to automatically reset ownership to SYSTEM after each attempt.

Here is the batch file that I am running (again, as ADMINISTRATOR) for your reference:

@echo off

net stop wuauserv

net stop bits

net stop dosvc

rmdir %windir%\softwaredistribution /s /q

pause

Here is also my version/build info:

Windows 10 Pro Ver 1607 (OS BUILD 14393.2189)

I know this will seem like a strange post and I'm sure I'll get a lot of "why would you ever want to do this" sort of questions, but please try not to get distracted, I'm merely looking for a solution.

Cheers.

:)

N8RB8, Sep 8, 2019
  2. Jsssssssss, Sep 8, 2019
  3. Xbox one controller suddenly not working with Windows 10

Problem description:

- Xbox One controller now listed in Device Manager as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

- I get the following "USB device not recognized" notification when connecting Xbox One controller:

The last usb device you connected to this computer malfunctioned

Troubleshooting steps taken:

- Restart computer multiple times

- Try with 2 additional USB cables

- Try all 3 cables in different USB slots

- Uninstall controller in Device Manager, then reconnected controller. Devices is re-added with same error message:

"Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

Observations:

- When I tried plugging controller into the keyboard's built in USB sockets, it caused the keyboard and mouse to suddenly stop working and appear to power down until restart.

- This controller has never had this problem on this device in the past, and has previous worked perfectly with all 3 cables I used in testing.

Any additional troubleshooting steps you can suggest? Thanks in advance.

Nathan2014, Sep 8, 2019
  4. Windows suddenly took control of certain folders and won't let me take control back

windows 10 control panel

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you want to know how to access the control panel in Windows 10?

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I would suggest you to try the following steps to open the Control Panel in the system.

Step 1: Opening Control Panel in Windows 10.

• Open Run command box by simultaneously pressing Windows and R keys (Windows + R).

• In the Run dialog box, type
      Control
      and then press Enter key to open the classic Control Panel.
    Step 2: Access Control Panel in Windows 10 from desktop.

• Right-click on the Start button (Windows logo button at the bottom-left corner of the desktop) and then click Control Panel to open the same.
    Step 3: Launch Control Panel using search.

• Open Start menu or screen.

• In the search box, enter Control Panel and then press Enter key to open the same.
    Note: You can quickly access the search with the help of Windows + C hotkey.

Step 4: Create Control Panel shortcut on desktop.

• Right-click on desktop, click New, and then click Shortcut.
    • In Type the location of the item box, type the following path.
    explorer shell:ControlPanelFolder

• Click Next button.
    • In the Type a name for this shortcut box, type Control Panel, and click Finish button. You can now double-click on the Control Panel icon on the desktop to quickly launch the same.
    Step 5: Pin Control Panel to Start or taskbar.

• In the Start search box, type Control Panel.

• When you see search results, right-click on Control Panel entry and then click Pin to Start to pin it to the Start menu or screen.
    Note: Clicking Pin to taskbar will pin the Control Panel to taskbar.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Sep 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows suddenly took control of certain folders and won't let me take control back

1. Windows suddenly took control of certain folders and won't let me take control back - Similar Threads - suddenly took control

2. Take back control. Become super user admin with control of gp and uac.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Take back control. Become super user admin with control of gp and uac.: I’ve been hacked now my devices are infected with malware. It’s a key logger rat and it’s taking all my personal data, all my emails basically taken control of everything. It has all uac permissions and group policy in its favour. I tried to net user myself in but was denied,...
  3. Microsoft is the WORST!!! Letting Russian hackers take control

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft is the WORST!!! Letting Russian hackers take control: Russia hacked my email and stole all of my accounts. I've taken back all of the accounts but Microsoft. I cannot contact ANYONE to change my email back to what it was. They finally said I'm the owner of the account, asked me to change my password which I did. Then to do...
  4. Microsoft is the WORST!!! Letting Russian hackers take control

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft is the WORST!!! Letting Russian hackers take control: Russia hacked my email and stole all of my accounts. I've taken back all of the accounts but Microsoft. I cannot contact ANYONE to change my email back to what it was. They finally said I'm the owner of the account, asked me to change my password which I did. Then to do...
  5. Microsoft is the WORST!!! Letting Russian hackers take control

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Can't recursively take control of folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't recursively take control of folder: Inside C:\Program Files\WindowsApps I got some folders I really wanna get rid off. For example, one for a Bubble Witch 3 saga, and one for Candy Crush. I'm pretty sure I uninstalled these apps long ago, but somehow they are still hanging around. I'm the owner of all the files...
  7. Windows won't let me delete a folder

Windows won't let me delete a folder: I run VM's on my machine and share folders between the VM and my host Windows 10 laptop. Typically everything runs fine, but when I manipulate folders within the VM/host shared space, sometimes Windows locks up the folder. I say Windows because I have shut down the VMs yet...
  8. Stop Automatic Windows Update [Take Back Control].

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stop Automatic Windows Update [Take Back Control].: I basically want to STOP [take control of] WU's [Windows Updates] from turning my computer on or checking for WU's when it feels like it. I want to be able to just check for WU's manually and when I want to. I have put this together and wondered if there is anything that I...
  9. Taking back control of your folders from OneDrive

Taking back control of your folders from OneDrive: When I first set up my computer, I enabled OneDrive, foolishly thinking it might be useful on a limited basis for sharing some information with friends and family. I just assumed it would be there if I ever wanted to use it. NOT SO. That damn thing takes over your...
  10. won't let me open Settings or control panel

in Windows 10 Support
    won't let me open Settings or control panel: Hey, ever since i upgraded to windows 10, whenever I try to get onto control panel or settings it says "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer please contact your system admin" when I am the admin and I have not put any restrictions...