Windows 10: Windows Superfetch on SSD

Discus and support Windows Superfetch on SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After update my W10 from Anniversary to Creators, windows enabled Superfetch to automatic. I always had Superfech disable on my Samsung SSD. Should i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by luarpc, Apr 4, 2017.

1. luarpc Win User

Windows Superfetch on SSD

After update my W10 from Anniversary to Creators, windows enabled Superfetch to automatic. I always had Superfech disable on my Samsung SSD. Should i disable it, or let windows manage my SSD?

Thanks.

:)

luarpc, Apr 4, 2017
  2. IT_hoser Win User

How To Optimize Windows 10 Settings For SSD Drive Performance?

I just upgraded to Win10 from Win8.1

One of the suggestions for SSD optimization I had read was to disable the SuperFetch Service. On my machine (laptop with only one drive which is an SSD) SuperFetch was enabled by default.

any comments on pros/cons of disabling the superfetch service?

IT_hoser, Apr 4, 2017
  3. A123 Win User
    Should Superfetch and Prefetch be disabled in Windows 10 Pro?

Should SuperFetch and Prefetch be disabled in the latest Windows 10 Pro that protects against Meltdown? I checked services and SuperFetch is running. I do not know if Prefetch is running, but my guess is that Prefetch is running. The pc is running with
    Windows 10 Pro on a fast SATA ssd. A hdd contains user data. Does the mix of a ssd with a hdd require SuperFetch and Prefetch for the latest Windows 10 Pro update that protects against Meltdown?

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings**

A123, Apr 4, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Disable that resource hog if your OS is running on an SSD.

Cheers,

5. Edward Win User
    I have a Samsung SSD too some say leave Superfetch alone and others say disable it. what should we really do? sometimes the boot speed is faster with Superfetch off.

Edward, Apr 5, 2017
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I would strongly advice against disabling Superfetch even with SSD. A few weeks ago I noticed a severe slowdown on my system. Everything felt sluggish, specially games. It was Superfetch was disabled. I think this is one of those "performance myths" prowling the Internet. I think W8 and onwards Superfetch implementation doesn't have anything to do with older Windows versions.
    Just try it. If you do not notice any improvements, then disable it.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 6, 2017
  7. Edward Win User
    Yes It feels different when i disable Superfetch even on SSD and I always end up set it back on Automatic. Windows feels more stable with Superfetch on even on SSD.

Edward, Apr 6, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

Why would superfetch be a resource hog on an SSD ? It's not active all the time.

CountMike, Apr 7, 2017
  9. luarpc Win User
    Thanks guy's,

I will take your advices, and i have enabled Superfetch again to Automatic on my SSD.

Thanks again.

luarpc, Apr 9, 2017
  10. positronic, Apr 9, 2017
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I am sure sure you're personal experience is unrelated. Win 10 should run fine either way.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 11, 2017
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Total nonsense I'm afraid. On an SSD Superfetch is of little use if at all. It was designed to speed up HDDs by reading and caching whatever is ran at startup so loading time is reduced.

if you boot from an SSD you may just as well disable Superfetch, Prefetch and even Fast Start. Your system should even perform better that way.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 11, 2017
  13. Edward Win User

After I did the Creators update, Superfetch turned itself off so I will see how my system will work and if I feel any slowdowns I will turn it back on but I have Rapid mode On too

Edward, Apr 13, 2017
  14. lx07 Win User
    Why?

Prefetch loads often used pages into RAM which is faster (by far) than SSD. You can argue with the algorithm used but not the speed. I write software for banks and in the past I forced the currency rate table into RAM as I knew it was used a lot and didn't want it paged in from disk. These days I do not bother as it is done automatically by the OS as the OS keeps track of frequently used tables.

If you can find any empirical evidence at all that supports turning off superfetch/prefetch I'm all ears. Unfortunately you won't as it doesn't exist or either (a) we would all do it or (b) MS would do it.

Surely you must admit MS engineers are aware of the concept of SSDs - it is not as if the year is 2001 or anything.

If you can't supply any evidence then playing with services is clearly just another pointless outdated tinkering with the OS that adds complexity for no proven value.

15. CountMike New Member
    As it can't fit all necessary data in RAM only it also writes to disk and read from it to make educated guess what might be needed next. When you start a program, it looks at only what's absolutely necessary to start it and so accelerates opening it.
    It's easy to check if and how much it helps, start (open) a program, close it and start it again. If it starts faster it would mean that prefetch is doing it's job.

CountMike, Apr 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Superfetch on SSD - Similar Threads - Superfetch SSD

2. Disabled SuperFetch but system is so slow now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabled SuperFetch but system is so slow now: Good day, I received a system that ran very slow in Windows 7 because of svchost. exe eating all my available memory. Upon disabling superfetch, the memory hog cleared however the system is just so slow now and doing basic tasks takes forever. I ran a bad sector test on the...
  3. Disabled SuperFetch but system is so slow now

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled SuperFetch but system is so slow now: Good day, I received a system that ran very slow in Windows 7 because of svchost. exe eating all my available memory. Upon disabling superfetch, the memory hog cleared however the system is just so slow now and doing basic tasks takes forever. I ran a bad sector test on the...
  4. Superfetch service is not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Superfetch service is not running: Superfetch service is not running on server.it give me following error:But on RDP Server is running fine. Is this service relatable to any RDP Service? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-service-is-not-running/87ca5266-d9d9-46b4-9e27-f30292e7970d
  5. Superfetch service is not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Superfetch service is not running: Superfetch service is not running on server.it give me following error:But on RDP Server is running fine. Is this service relatable to any RDP Service? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-service-is-not-running/87ca5266-d9d9-46b4-9e27-f30292e7970d
  6. Windows 10 Prefetch / SuperFetch is used, although an ssd is used.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Prefetch / SuperFetch is used, although an ssd is used.: Hello everybody, shouldn't Windows automatically disable Prefetch and SuperFetch when using an SSD? Although the SSD is the only drive, the registry key "EnablePrefetcher" has the value 3, the service "Sysmain" is started automatically and the folder "C:\Windows\Prefetch" is...
  7. Disabling Superfetch in services when using an SSD a good idea?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disabling Superfetch in services when using an SSD a good idea?: Is disabling Superfetch in services on my computer with an SSD a good idea according to this article? This is how SSDs work and what you can do to make yours last longer. Do this to increase your SSD's lifespan! - CNET --- The article stresses it's a good idea to minimize...
  8. have you disable Superfetch on your ssd installation?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    have you disable Superfetch on your ssd installation?: Hi have you disabled Superfetch ? disabling the service Superfetch and regedit Code: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters[/quote] EnablePrefetcher=0 thanks 10603
  9. Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2: Threshold 2 has re-enabled superfetch on my PC (only SSD's on my system). I have waited over a week, run Winsat formal, etc. but superfetch remains on. Has anyone experienced this? Before I manually disable the service I would welcome any suggestions etc. PS: the...
  10. Superfetch on SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch on SSD: I bought a Samsung SSD, should I disable superfetch now ? 51436

Users found this page by searching for:

1. superfech for windows 10 1809