Windows 10: Windows system files location and drive partition

Discus and support Windows system files location and drive partition in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! I was wondering if I should partition my C drive. At the moment I've got all off my files in the same C drive, both Windows system files as well... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PetraLLL, Jun 1, 2019.

1. PetraLLL Win User

Windows system files location and drive partition

Hi!

I was wondering if I should partition my C drive. At the moment I've got all off my files in the same C drive, both Windows system files as well as my personal files. Could the computer and/or the programs on it run smoother if I has the system files in another drive? Is it enough to divide the C drive into two and have the Windows 10 system files in there and move everything else in a new drive?

This might be a silly question, I've just been wondering why some of my programs take a bit longer to start and remembered that I had to reinstall Windows 10 back in Autumn for this particular computer which might have affected the drives and therefore might have changed the drive sizes which could affect the startup and boot times etc? Not sure, this was something I read online and started to wonder if I could make my computer a bit faster by splitting the C drive into two sections.

Hope this made any sense! Here's a screenshot of how my drives look at the moment, Disk 0 being the only drive I have. My computer is build by a friend. I'm not a native English speaker so sorry for possible typos! Windows system files location and drive partition :)

Windows system files location and drive partition 7016baa1-8244-4049-9cdc-02d8ea90373c?upload=true.png

:)

PetraLLL, Jun 1, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jun 1, 2019
  3. kristain Win User
    Partition My Hard Drive

1. Right click on the space listed as unallocated.
    2. At the menu that comes up, click on the New Partition option.
    3. You will now be presented with a wizard as to how you would like the partition to be created. At the first screen press Next.
    4. At the following screen, determine if you need a primary or extended partition. For more information about these partitions you can read our partition tutorial listed above. Most people will be fine selecting Primary Partition. Select Primary Partition and press Next.
    5. You will be prompted to type in how much of the unallocated space you would like used for the new partition. In my example, my unallocated space is 26.43 GB, so I can choose to make a partition of that entire amount of only use half and save the rest for another partition. Regardless, of what you decide, you need to enter a size in the Partition size in MB: field, or stick with the default size, and press the Next button.
    6. At the next screen, select the drive letter you would like assigned to it, or use the default one given. When done, press the Next button. The drive letter that you assign here will be how you access the partition later.
    7. For the most part you are advised to use the NTFS file system. If you need a file system that can be readable by older operating systems like DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME, then you should instead choose the FAT32 file system.
    8. Type a name in the Volume Label field that will be associated with this partition or leave it blank.
    9. Finally press the Next button and you will come to a summary screen. Review how the partition will be created, and if you are satisfied, press the Finish button to complete the creation and formatting of your new hard disk partition.

kristain, Jun 1, 2019
  4. Windows system files location and drive partition

Change partition as system and to drive C

I just installed windows 7 x64 on drive B (boot,crash dump and primary partition), then i decided to completely remove vista x64 on drive c(system,page file,active and primary partition) and make that as another data storage.But i cant delete or format the drive C.How can i do it?And i want the windows 7x64 to be mark as drive C.Can you help me?They're both on same single hardisk.

rizshinigami, Jun 1, 2019
Thema:

Windows system files location and drive partition

1. Windows system files location and drive partition - Similar Threads - system files location

2. The boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD...: How does one actually do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-boot-partition-is-located-on-a-mechanical-or/7bbedd7e-afef-4e08-9282-0bb3edb00687
  3. The boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD...: How does one actually do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-boot-partition-is-located-on-a-mechanical-or/7bbedd7e-afef-4e08-9282-0bb3edb00687
  4. The boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive: I noticed that my main Windows SSD does not have an EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition. These two partitions are located on my HDD. I would like to know if it is possible to create these two partitions on the SSD disk and remove them on the HDD disk without losing...
  6. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive: I noticed that my main Windows SSD does not have an EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition. These two partitions are located on my HDD. I would like to know if it is possible to create these two partitions on the SSD disk and remove them on the HDD disk without losing...
  7. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. system drive partitioning issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    system drive partitioning issue: I’m trying to shrink the volume of my main C drive by 50 GB (90GB available) but when I open up the shrink dialog it says 700MB free to shrink. I’ve looked online and found that you have to disable a bunch of windows security which I don’t feel comfortable doing, so I’m...
  9. Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition

in Windows 10 News
    Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition: [ATTACH]If you encounter the Windows setup error message Setup was unable to create a […] This article Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. A question about file systems on C drive partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A question about file systems on C drive partitions: A while back I was surprised to see 13 partitions on the C drive of my small hybrid device, but I was devised it was not uncommon or a problem. I have just noticed (using Speccy) that some partitions have NTFS while others have FAT and FAT 32. I was expecting them to be all...