Windows 10: Windows system image and gpt disks

Discus and support Windows system image and gpt disks in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, tldr: can you create a system image of a gpt disk? I'm in the process of building an new pc, haven't built one in ages and I'm having a lot of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tmcthree, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Tmcthree Win User

Windows system image and gpt disks

Hi,

tldr: can you create a system image of a gpt disk?

I'm in the process of building an new pc, haven't built one in ages and I'm having a lot of issues.

It seems to work fine for about a day, then it will get a "page fault in a non-paged area" BSOD. After that it's BSODs every few minutes, all different types, memory management, critical process, etc until I reinstall Windows.

So, my plan was to start from scratch and periodically take system images when installing new software/hardware to see if I could discover the failure point and not have to reinstall everything from scratch each time.

The problem is when I try to create a system image I get a "0x807801119 there is not enough space to create the volume shadow copy"

I tried working through some tutorials to fix the issue using

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D Q:

and

bcdboot.exe / s C: \ Windows / s F:

but neither worked.

I also found a thread which suggested a solution which only worked on mrb

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...-fails-errorcode-0x81000019?forum=w7itproperf

I converted the disk to mbr, reinstalled and imaging worked first time.

So, question is, is there anyway to create a system image of a gpt disk, or is that only for mbr disks?

The reason I ask is I have found another thread relating to my motherboard x570 auros master which suggests that there might be some stability issues with mbr and m2 drives on that mother board. The OS is on a 970 evo

I realise this post turned into a bit of a ramble, but any help to any of the above will be very gratefully received!

:)

Tmcthree, Sep 2, 2020

2. OS on MBR, other disks GPT

Hi,

Problem

I don't see the Data Disks in the Windows Explorer

History: What I had before the problem occurred (worked fine)

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 4 Partitions / used as Windows Home Server OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk

What I actually have

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 2 Partitions / used as Windows 10 Pro OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    What I see in the Windows Disk Management

• Disk 0: Basic, Online

System Reserved, 500MB NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

(CWindows system image and gpt disks :), 465 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    • Disk 1: Basic, Online

2048 GB, Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 2: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 3: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 4: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    What I see in the Windows Explorer

• Local Disk (CWindows system image and gpt disks :)
    What am I doing wrong?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

MarcWampfler, Sep 2, 2020
  3. Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Sep 2, 2020
  4. Windows system image and gpt disks

Converting a MBR disk to a GPT disk

I would put Windows on Disk 2. There is plenty of space. If you want to start with a clean slate then you should do this:

• Disconnect disks 0 and 1.
    • Boot the machine with your installation medium.
    • Launch diskpart.
    • Select disk 0 (it was disk 2 before).
    • clean.
    • Reboot with your installation medium.
    • Install Windows.
    • When it runs nicely, connect the other disks and tell the BIOS which is the primary disk to boot from.
    Since disk 2 is only 232 GBytes you will not need UEFI / GPT. After Windows is installed you can convert the 3 TByte disk to GPT.

Frederik Long, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows system image and gpt disks

1. Windows system image and gpt disks - Similar Threads - system image gpt

2. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  3. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  4. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Non system disk in system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Non system disk in system image: I trying to create system image in Windows 10. Chose where I want to save the backup, after that system shows to me what drives will be backed up: EFI System Partition Game_Storage E: System Recovery Partition System C: System Problem is that Game_Storage E: is not...
  6. Restoring system images on GPT systems

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring system images on GPT systems: I've just finished converting my spare Win 10 laptop from MBR to GPT using MBR2GPT in Win 10. As far as I can see on a first boot it seems to have worked ok so I'm creating a new system image in MR right now. How do you restore images in GPT when the Secure Boot feature in...
  7. GPT disks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT disks: Converted 2 drives to GPT (using diskpart utility from the "repair Windows"section of installation dvd) after deleting and removing all partitions and volumes. Windows showed the 4TB drive as being the full size so it had been converted. After windows installed both drives...
  8. System Image & System Repair Disk

System Image & System Repair Disk: My company jettisoned our IT Department and contracted for IT services with an outside firm. Field personnel provided with laptop or desktop (or both) are now required to perform a System Image once per week and, in addition, to create a System Repair CD/DVD each week as part...
  9. System Image & Repair Disk

System Image & Repair Disk: Hello all, When I purchased my computer, a salesman recommended I make a system image in case of computer failure and said I should use a 32 GB external drive. So I took his recommendation and bought one of those USB types. As I pulled up the application to perform this...
  10. System Disk Image/Clone

System Disk Image/Clone: There's been some discussion on this in another thread & having previously not been too successful in the past, I'd like to seek some advice. When a disk is cloned it makes an identical copy to another HD; the idea being that if the one in use fails, then the cloned HD can...