Windows 10: Windows System Restore failed to replace the file 0x80070780

Discus and support Windows System Restore failed to replace the file 0x80070780 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I needed to perform system restore, but it failed with this error: System Restore failed to replace the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by A...P..., Apr 30, 2020.

1. A...P... Win User

Windows System Restore failed to replace the file 0x80070780

Hi,

I needed to perform system restore, but it failed with this error:

System Restore failed to replace the file D:\Users\*******\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache\qebcobkqbgbzfynfuwbof\placeholder.bat with its original copy from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during restore. 0x80070780

It wasn´t neither possible to perform factory reset. So I had to completely reistall the Windows from USB and I've lost lots of days.

I contacted Drobpox about this issue, but they told me that this is a Microsoft Windows error.

I am wondering what to do in order to prevent this issue from happening again. Could you please help me?

There is a lot of people with this error as you can see from this thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/I-get-an-error-message-that-Windows-System-Restore-failed/td-p/302390

Thanks a lot in advance,

AP

:)

A...P..., Apr 30, 2020
  2. Lantha Win User

Error 0x80070780 while trying system restore trough Windows Live CD

HDTune scans finished, here are the results

Windows System Restore failed to replace the file 0x80070780 [​IMG]

Both my drives seem OK

Now for sfc/scannow, what's the system reserved partition they are talking about in the link you posted ?
    I only have these :

"Data C:" is just files not related to the system "Acer D:" is with all the system files The CD is kyhi's iSO and the "boot X:" I actually don't know but I think you do. What drives should I point to in the sfc /scannow command ?

EDIT : in diskpart, "list volume" command gives two hidden partitions "ESP" and "Recovery" (it does not mention the boot X: partition btw)

EDIT 2 : on the system disk (Acer D: 256GB) there are 3 partitions alongside the primary, which one is the system reserved ?

Lantha, Apr 30, 2020
  3. MoorthyM Win User
    System restore failed to replace the file (C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java(1309).exe). An unspecified error occurred during system restore .(0x80070003)

Hi

Tried to do restore operation on windows 10 on previous restore points but it fails with same error for every instance of restore.

From the error popup window:

"System restore failed to replace the file (C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java(1309).exe) with its original copy from restore point. An unspecified error occurred during system restore .(0x80070003)"

Found similar issue has been resolved by clean boot and restore - System Restore failed to replace the file (C:\Program Files (x86) Common Files\Juniper Networks\JUNS) with it original copy form the restore point.

can i try the same steps for java exe too?

MoorthyM, Apr 30, 2020
  4. Clark Ari Win User

System Restore - System restore failed to extract the file ...... (0x8007005) error

Hi Loucille,

One of the possible reasons why the error code 0x8007005 occurs when performing system restore is due to corrupted system files that caused software conflicts. Since you have tried several steps to resolve the issue, we recommend that you
    perform a System Restore in safe mode. To boot your device in
    safe mode kindly click on this link. This will start Windows in a basic state, using a limited
    set of files and drivers.

Once done, we suggest that you perform a system restore after booting in safe mode. System Restore will be able to revert your PC or laptop to their previous state, which can be used to repair and recover system malfunctions or issues. Restoring won’t affect
    your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

If in case that the issue persists, we suggest that you run the System File Checker tool. This will be able
    to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore it. We also suggest that you run the DISM command to repair the Windows image on your system. Follow the steps provided
    on this link for the complete guide on how to use
    the tool.

Please post back with the result.

Clark Ari, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows System Restore failed to replace the file 0x80070780 - Similar Threads - System Restore failed

2. System Restore Failed to replace the file --- 0x80070780

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Restore Failed to replace the file --- 0x80070780: I want to use the System Restore function but I simply can not get it to work.... ever. I've had like 6 different errors and I think I fixed them, however I'm stuck on this one: System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not...
  3. System Restore failed to replace the file, Error Code 0x80070780

in Windows 10 News
    System Restore failed to replace the file, Error Code 0x80070780: In as much as System Restore is a great feature in Windows 10 that can be used to resolve most issues by reverting the system back to an earlier working state (snapshot), the feature has its own fair share of errors. One such error is 0x80070780, which you may encounter when...
  4. Error 0x80070780: This file cannot be accessed by the system

Error 0x80070780: This file cannot be accessed by the system: I installed a fresh copy of windows 10 on the C Drive I have left files available to me on the D Drive to help ease installing programs to get back to a working win 10 environment I saw a "WindowsApps" folder that contains programs installed under the previous install of...
  5. Error Code 0x80070780 The File Cannot Be Accessed By The System.

Error Code 0x80070780 The File Cannot Be Accessed By The System.: So I've just restarted the pc.. And all the shortcut on my screen became white paper and i can't do anything with it. I can't cut/copy/delete shortcut. and it said An unexpected error is keeping you from deleteing the file.If you continue to recieve this error, you can use...
  6. Error 0x80070780: The file can/cannot be accessed by the system

Error 0x80070780: The file can/cannot be accessed by the system: My Windows 10 desktop PC cannot access - open, copy, rename, edit some recent files. Some are on the desktop and some are on OneDrive. My laptop has no problem with the same files on OneDrive, although a different desktop. In some cases files a file can be edited Word,...
  7. 0x80070780 onedrive system restore - windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    0x80070780 onedrive system restore - windows 10: attempting to system restore my computer but this error message comes up, i have deleted this file of my pc however it keeps coming up? windows 10 [img] 157158
  8. Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system: How to solve with Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system Please help, I am using window 10 and office 365 Regards AMTRIS...
  9. Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system: How to solve with Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system Please help, I am using window 10 and office 365 Regards AMTRIS...
  10. Error 0x80070780 while trying system restore trough Windows Live CD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Error 0x80070780 while trying system restore trough Windows Live CD: Hi, While trying system restore from a Windows 10 Live CD, I'am getting this 0x80070780 error for the file "D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Packages\AcerIncorporated.AcerPortal_48frkmn4z8aw..." (can't see complete name because the error window isn't resizable). I already searched...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows system restore icloud

2. system restore iclouddrive desktop.ini

3. system restore failed to replace the file desktop.ini

4. windows 10 restore fail icloud ini,
  5. unspecified error occured during restore (0x80070780) windows 10 not booting up,
  6. system restore failed to replace the file 80070780,
  7. windows 10 system restore failed to replace the file,
  8. system restore failed to replace the file icloud,
  9. icloud drive desktop ini system restore,
  10. windows 10 system restore desktop.ini,
  11. dropbox unable to replace system restore,
  12. system restore failed to repace the file with the original copy from the restore point. 80070780,
  13. system restore failed to replace the file (c:\users\desktop\iclouddrive\desktopini) error 0x80070780 windows 10