Windows 10: Windows System Restore: Monitored File Name Extensions

Discus and support Windows System Restore: Monitored File Name Extensions in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/martin_m_n_novy [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/martin_m_n_novy, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Windows System Restore: Monitored File Name Extensions

/u/martin_m_n_novy, Feb 11, 2021
  2. das10 Win User

System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!?

For info only:

There are Microsoft docs which document that some monitored extension types of files (including .lnk) do not remain after a restore.

quote: "The following is a list of monitored file name extensions. Files with these extensions are monitored by System Restore in Windows Vista and later... "
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/win...ectedfrom=MSDN

quote: "Do not use monitored extension types for user-editable files. For example, if you name a user's personal data file using the extension .ini, the user may lose work as a result of a system restore."
    "To restore a system, System Restore undoes file changes made to monitored files, recapturing the file state at the time of the selected restore point."
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ing-the-system

Another link for ref: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\...
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/win...lesnottobackup

So, I just tried a restore after copying some random files with extension .lnk, .ini, .sys, .ocx, .bat, .out and an .exe file 'with' and 'without' any extension, to three different locations; the desktop, the documents folder and a separately created folder on C:. As a safety precaution, I then made a Macrium image.

And after a System Restore (performed following a reboot and inside Windows), all the files with the "Monitored File Extensions" did not remain where they had been copied to, in all the three locations. Of the files which I tested with in particular, all of them disappeared except the exe file without the .exe extension.

{As documented elsewhere on the web, those lost files could still be recovered using Shadow Explorer with the undo-restore that Windows creates}.

das10, Feb 11, 2021
  3. System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!?

Thanks for that excellent and definitive report das10. And thanks for your efforts to acquire this information.

This clearly identifies a potential solution for the OP using Shadow Explorer and gives many of us another tool for recovering files lost during a system restore.

W10 Tweaker, Feb 11, 2021
  4. Windows System Restore: Monitored File Name Extensions

Windows XP PRO error after restore

System restore is handy when it works like it did for me 2 days ago saving the need to reinstall all of my software as well as windows, id suggest using norton Ghost 12 for an excellent system restore feature.

jocksteeluk, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

Windows System Restore: Monitored File Name Extensions

1. Windows System Restore: Monitored File Name Extensions - Similar Threads - System Restore Monitored

2. Cannot delete file no extension name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete file no extension name: Hello,I have been trying to delete a file but every time I try it says it is no longer located in that directory and thus it cannot be deleted. This file was created by me a while ago while I was trying to save a link to a website on my desktop, but now it will not let me...
  3. Cannot delete file no extension name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete file no extension name: Hello,I have been trying to delete a file but every time I try it says it is no longer located in that directory and thus it cannot be deleted. This file was created by me a while ago while I was trying to save a link to a website on my desktop, but now it will not let me...
  4. Cannot delete file no extension name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?: Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to easily upload CAD parts, but I'm running into an issue.The files are Creo Parametric files, and the way that Creo saves files is that it adds an extension starting at .1 and iterating by 1 each time it is saved, which is great because...
  6. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?: Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to easily upload CAD parts, but I'm running into an issue.The files are Creo Parametric files, and the way that Creo saves files is that it adds an extension starting at .1 and iterating by 1 each time it is saved, which is great because...
  7. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.867] is there a registry key to get rid of it now ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-files-extension-disabling-the-if-you/dc219745-91fb-4c6b-9821-76fa22cf20c9
  9. Unusual file name extension and size

in Windows 10 Support
    Unusual file name extension and size: I have a hidden file that is 607GB on a 931GB Hard Disk with the extension (.DErQc). What is this file doing? Regards, 115515
  10. Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 A file name extension is a set of characters added to the end of a file name that determine which app should open it. By default, File Explorer hides file name...