Windows 10: windows\system32\winload.efi is missing or corrupt - ERROR 0x000000D

Discus and support windows\system32\winload.efi is missing or corrupt - ERROR 0x000000D in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For reasons you'll see I am completely unable to do any of the log stuff so please excuse me, but I'm doing all I can at the moment. Anyway, this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kraken, Jul 3, 2019.

1. kraken Win User

windows\system32\winload.efi is missing or corrupt - ERROR 0x000000D

For reasons you'll see I am completely unable to do any of the log stuff so please excuse me, but I'm doing all I can at the moment.

Anyway, this is really complicated so I would very much appreciate it if you read the whole thing, you kinda need to. It's a long one but it's important that you know everything. Thanks.

Okay, some background. I was watching videos on my PC and after finishing, I went to put my PC into sleep mode. On my PC, I do this by tapping the power button since I have it configured to go to sleep mode when pressed. Usually it works pretty fine, but this time everything BUT the PC shut off. The lights and fans were still on while the screen was black. I thought it might just need a while this time so I left it alone for about an hour and a half to go do something else. I come back and it's STILL yet to do it, so I felt like my only choice was to power it down completely (by holding the power button this time).

I thought nothing of it, but when I turned my PC on again, it went straight to a blue screen. The blue screen has the error listed in the title, winload.efi is missing or corrupt + 0xc000000D. It had these options: retry (did nothing), boot into recovery (just booted back to the same blue screen), and boot to UEFI BIOS (which is the only thing that works). I must have restarted this thing like 20 times, it absolutely WILL NOT boot. So, I panicked and went into BIOS to see if restoring it to optimized default settings would do anything. Nope. I also tried booting into safe mode but that just sent it straight back to the BSOD.

So, in researching I found there could be any one of three culprits:
    1. RAM (32gb)
    2. My HDD (8tb Seagate)
    3. Intel Optane

1. RAM - I began researching both the errors I got (and to clarify I got them both at the same time on the same BSOD). It seems in both cases there are instances where the RAM is the problem. I've noticed a bit more recently that since this BSOD crap has happened my PC beeps twice when booting, so I researched that and in many cases that's also indicative of bad RAM of some kind, but when I have an ASUS motherboard and also read that 2 beeps could just mean the BIOS is working correctly, although I've never heard them until this problem happened. So, it could be or it couldn't be. Not really clear.

2. My HDD - This is where it got really annoying. So I used my windows disk to see if I could repair anything (I was able to boot to it successfully many times) and I tried the following:
    Doing Startup Repair - Ran for 10 seconds then said it failed, and the log was empty
    System Restore - It gave some error about not being able to see the drive or restore points or something like that, I don't remember this one too well but point is it failed.
    Trying to fix it from Command Prompt - I tried the various BOOTREC commands like fixboot and fixmbr but they didn't do anything since the command prompt was acting like my C: drive didn't exist. For instance, when I tried to do the scanos command it said something along the lines of "Windows installations found: 0". I also tried to rebuild the BCD but I couldn't because it wasn't picking up my drive.
    Reinstalling Windows - I even tried to just see if I could install Windows again, but of course nothing is that simple. When I tried to it skipped straight to a point where it asked me if I wanted to upgrade my installation and retain my files or do a custom installation and wipe everything. I'm not willing to do the second option (yet) so I tried doing the first but it gave me an error basically saying that I can't.

The only option I haven't tried yet is trying to restore from image. Now, thankfully, I was insanely lucky as literally just the day prior to this happening my external HDD did an automatic full-scale image backup. The reason I was hesistant to try the option is because I feared that my external HDD could be messed up in some way as well, so in the mean time (at the time of this post) I'm backing the image file from external HDD to another HDD, just in case something happens to the image on the external.

3. Intel Optane - Now this is important. After a while I got to thinking. Intel Optane basically deals with both memory and HDD stuff, and the errors I've gotten are known to be related to both of those things sometimes, so I thought maybe if I completely disable Intel Optane from the BIOS it could possibly fix anything. To put it short, it didn't really fix anything but now some things are different. With Intel Optane disabled, I'm no longer getting a blue screen but instead booting to just a black screen. I tried to boot into safe mode again but it just went to black again. So I restarted it for about the 100th time and went to my BIOS because now I have to boot to my recovery disk straight from there.

I went through all the same recovery fixing attempts again, like Startup Repair, and everything failed again except in the instance of the command prompt. I went in there and tried to see if I could explore my C: drive but it told me it was either unreadable or corrupted (before disabline Optane it wouldn't even find it). I then did some DISKPART stuff to see if it also picked up my drive, and it did, as opposed to last time. It even listed it as "Healthy" when I looked at volumes. So after that I did the BOOTREC stuff again. Surprisingly, both fixmbr and fixboot completed successfully, but unfortunately doing scanos and rebuildbcd both yieled the same "drive is unreadable or corrupted" error. After that I closed the command prompt and then shut down the PC from the recovery menu to see if the fixmbr or fixboot things had done anything, and then something strange happened. My PC did the very same thing that started all this and got stuck attempting to shut down with a black screen. I gave it about 40 minutes but I knew I would have to power it off again so I did, and it doesn't seem to have done any further damage from what I can tell.

So after that is when I decided to backup my HDD image from the external to another one, since it looked like I was out of options. In researching a little more though I found this program called Rufus that lets you make a USB recovery tool from a Windows iso. I noticed that this program in particular lets you select between MBR and GPT. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe really big HDDs (like my 8TB HDD) HAVE to use GPT. So I thought maybe that was the reason I was having troubles in recovery earlier and I'll just configure it like that and see if anything changes.

So. I go to boot my new recovery USB from my BIOS and it boots, albeit VERY slowly. I noticed that on the USB it is very very much slower than when I was doing it from the recovery CD, like it took 2 minutes to even properly load the recovery thing. But anyways, upon getting back into the recovery menu I noticed there were some new options, one of which said I could go back to a previous update of Windows. I didn't wanna try anything complex just yet so I just went to the same Startup Repair to see if it would do something.

And now.. instead of going "diagnosing problem" and then quitting after 5 seconds, it actually seems to be attempting to fix it. It says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete."

As of right now this is still going, it's been going for about an hour I think, but I'm not really confident it'll actually fix everything. Granted, if it doesn't I can try the CMD stuff and Windows install again, but I'm taking it one step at a time. But yeah, this is why I made this thread and typed out this ludicrous amount of info for. If this thing doesn't work (and going by my luck it probably won't), I need to know if you guys have ANY idea or opinions on any of this, and any possible further solutions other than the last few ones I've planned out here. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, this has been extremely stressful for me.

Thanks, and take care.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: The startup repair didn't work, as I thought it wouldn't. I tried to the CMD fixes as well but I've found out that a lot of them won't even attempt to work because my HDD is GPT. So aside from trying and possibly failing to restore from image, I have no idea as to what I can do.

Please help.

:)

kraken, Jul 3, 2019
  2. dictum Win User

Which tool to recover the EFI partition? Booted into Rescue Disk

That's not what they suggest here:

FIX: Steps to Fix Winload.EFI Error - Appuals.com

Winload.EFI Error, is pretty much self explanatory by it’s name is an error that prevents windows from loading. This is usually caused by corrupt boot records or incorrect boot configuration. Depending on your Operating System, the error message may vary but the keyword winload.efi will be same. On a Windows 8/8.1/10 system, the error usually pops-up in the following form.

dictum, Jul 3, 2019
  3. Windows 10: Getting blue screen error messsage "windows\system32\winload..efi" and error code "0xc000000f".

Original Title: windows 10 0xc000000f error in lenovo pc

my laptop is lenovo g50 30 which is windows 8.1 build.

after upgrade it shows blue screen

windows\system32\winload..efi

error code 0xc000000f

i cant find the solution in community

AJMER BANDODIYA, Jul 3, 2019
  4. windows\system32\winload.efi is missing or corrupt - ERROR 0x000000D

winload efi missing or corrupt

My Microsoft Surface attempted to update Windows 10. I believe it failed. When I tried to turn on Surface, received message "\WINDOWS/system32\winload.efi Error code: 0xc0000225

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

NeilTheobald, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

windows\system32\winload.efi is missing or corrupt - ERROR 0x000000D

1. windows\system32\winload.efi is missing or corrupt - ERROR 0x000000D - Similar Threads - windowssystem32winload efi missing

2. efi and esp files missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    efi and esp files missing: so, I am running a dual boot configuration on a steam deck, after having a corrupt steam install i reinstalled steam and found that windows 11 efi and esp files are missing from their drives, while the partition for windows is completely safe and secure, i would highly prefer...
  3. efi and esp files missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    efi and esp files missing: so, I am running a dual boot configuration on a steam deck, after having a corrupt steam install i reinstalled steam and found that windows 11 efi and esp files are missing from their drives, while the partition for windows is completely safe and secure, i would highly prefer...
  4. Windows EFI and Recovery Partition MISSING

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows EFI and Recovery Partition MISSING: Today I decided to clean install Windows 10 on my new SSD and format the old one.I used the pen-drive installer to install windows 10 on my SSD but when I got to Disk Management to format my old HDD.I see that my SSD does not have a recovery partition OR a EFI PartitionI...
  5. Winload.efi is Missing or Corrupt Boot Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Winload.efi is Missing or Corrupt Boot Error: Hi, I have a HP Pavillion Laptop with an 256 GB SSD and 1 GB HDD. I have installed Windows 10 on the SSD. Because my laptop was freezing I switched it off directly using the power button. When I started again, I got a blue screen saying that Your PC needs to repaired...
  6. "Service registration is missing or corrupt" error

"Service registration is missing or corrupt" error: I'm getting this error, but can't seem to resolve it. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/service-registration-is-missing-or-corrupt-error/30c9793d-77f4-4b3e-be7e-680f20bf2bd5
  7. Windows 10 EFI partition missing

Windows 10 EFI partition missing: I have an ASUS GL502VS which I previously had dual boot with Ubuntu. Until the last Windows update it was working fine. I tried installing the latest Windows 10 update I guess 1909 yesterday. At first it worked fine but after a restart I realized that it isn't working...
  8. EFI partition missing

EFI partition missing: I bought a new SSD and did a clean installation of Windows 10 on the new drive, but i'm still keeping my old HDD into my laptop as a secondary drive. After the installation worked (the laptop was working correctly) I decided to format my old HDD. After a reboot i got this...
  9. Boot Error BCD 0x000000d Can't Recover, Can't Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Boot Error BCD 0x000000d Can't Recover, Can't Restore: I've been all over the internet trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here. Win 10 on my Asus S56C (originally Win8 but upgraded) crashed. I was able to boot from a USB key. Repair system does not work Tried system restore but I get an error message which reads "Restart...
  10. Wininet.dll missing or corrupted error 0x000000C6

in Windows 10 Support
    Wininet.dll missing or corrupted error 0x000000C6: Hi! I have a problem regarding with the wininet.dll found in the system32 folder, it is not missing or deleted but it prevents some of my sister's applications from running even though it is there. I've tried using sfc /scannow but it doesn't work at all since it stops at a...