Windows 10: Windows takes an inordinate amount of time to start up/restart/resume

Discus and support Windows takes an inordinate amount of time to start up/restart/resume in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; HP desktop i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41GHz 16GB RAM Win 10 Home While this computer has a good amount of RAM, it goes from restart to "severely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Odysseus, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Odysseus Win User

Windows takes an inordinate amount of time to start up/restart/resume

HP desktop i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41GHz 16GB RAM Win 10 Home

While this computer has a good amount of RAM, it goes from restart to "severely congested/slow to resumefrom sleep" fairly quickly (a couple of days).

Now I admit that my practice of keeping several workspaces open, each with one or several instances of Opera and Firefox, each of which has multiple tabs (which I find very convenient) uses a lot of this RAM, it is now much worse than it used to be. Also the computer normally is used several hours daily.

Is this likely caused by a need to defrag? (I have not been doing it because I have had in mind that Win 10 does not need defragging?) But if so, how often should a defrag be done?

Or is it likely sole due to my practice described above, or something else? What can I do to gather helpful information on this? Thanks.

:)

Odysseus, Nov 18, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows takes an inordinate amount of time to start up/restart/resume :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 18, 2018
  3. little cat, Nov 18, 2018
  4. Arrakis9 Win User

Random restarts

when you start the computer up press F8 repeatedly until you get a list of how to start windows, choose do not automatically restart on system failure. if your getting bsod's list what your getting here so we can further help you. IF the system is not getting bsod's and still restarting as you say then i would look into getting a line conditioner for your computer as you might be having power issues.

Arrakis9, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows takes an inordinate amount of time to start up/restart/resume - Similar Threads - takes inordinate amount

2. restart taking time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    restart taking time: I am facing a problem since last 4 to 5 months that my pc does't restart when i restart it. It takes a lot of time to restart and then i have to switch it off and turn it on again. I have tried troubleshooters but it did not worked. pls look inot it....
  3. "Windows search indexing" taking up large amounts of cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Windows search indexing" taking up large amounts of cpu: Yesterday I noticed my computer has been a bit loud recently and I've been wondering why that is and I found out in task manager that "Windows search indexing" is taking up more CPU than most games I play. I've done dism restorehealth, sfc /scannow and I'm currently...
  4. window Taking more time to start or restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    window Taking more time to start or restart: Hi, I've just installed Windows 10 update, and everything is good, but it takes too long to boot... first it shows Windows logo, and loading, that lasts for about 5 seconds, and then the black screen appears and stays like that for 50sec. Then I log into my account, ..... i...
  5. Desktop takes an uncomfortable amount of time to load.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop takes an uncomfortable amount of time to load.: I am having an issue after updating to 2004. My computer boots up just fine and will let me log in. After that it goes to black screen and it takes something in the ballpark of 2-3 minutes to actually get to the desktop. RTX Voice starts up just fine, I can use...
  6. Windows 10 update make start and restart take long time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update make start and restart take long time: Hi, I updated windows 10 from 1909 to 2004 . And office updated from 2016 to 2019 Microsoft office click to run take high cpu and disk and don't stop until I disable that service Then office don't work [ATTACH] And when restart. It takes from 6 to 12 min to open ....
  7. Computer takes a long time to resume from hibernation?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer takes a long time to resume from hibernation?: I recently built my computer with AMD StoreMI set up. Sleep mode works fine, but hibernation resume takes the same or longer to resume to than a cold boot. Is it just my machine, StoreMI, or windows? submitted by /u/traczpasruchu [link] [comments]...
  8. Windows takes an inordinate amount of time to start up/restart/resume

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows takes an inordinate amount of time to start up/restart/resume: HP desktop i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41GHz 16GB RAM Win 10 Home While this computer has a good amount of RAM, it goes from restart to "severely congested/slow to resumefrom sleep" fairly quickly (a couple of days). Now I admit that my practice of keeping several workspaces...
  9. Windows 10 System Image Back up takes inordinately long time without completing after 97%...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 System Image Back up takes inordinately long time without completing after 97%...: Windows 10 Backup & Recovery. While taking System Image Backup, after 97% Completion as System Image Creation starts, systems Keeps creating Image for a very long time. Last time I aborted backup after 12 Hours. How much time is this supposed to take? Should I assume that...
  10. Edge takes up huge amounts of memory

in Browsers and Email
    Edge takes up huge amounts of memory: At times my computer bogs down horribly.* Loading Taskmanager, which can take several minutes, shows Edge taking up 1gb of memory (more or less).* It is usually 100mb or so. I have two other computers using Edge, and they seem fine. Is there any fix for this? 70674