Windows 10: Windows taking 2+ minutes to boot up after a restart, but only 5 seconds after a shutdown.

Discus and support Windows taking 2+ minutes to boot up after a restart, but only 5 seconds after a shutdown. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've spent hours upon hours troubleshooting this issue, and came across a post somewhere about disconnecting secondary drives from the system and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TonyMool, Dec 22, 2020.

1. TonyMool Win User

Windows taking 2+ minutes to boot up after a restart, but only 5 seconds after a shutdown.

I've spent hours upon hours troubleshooting this issue, and came across a post somewhere about disconnecting secondary drives from the system and testing from there.

My system is configured accordingly:

Windows 10 installed on a 1TB SSD

Secondary 500GB SSD for storage
    Large 6TB HDD for mass storage.

I decided to try what I just read, and found that after disconnecting the large hard drive and testing the startup / shutdown / restart scenarios, my system now boots very quickly after a restart, just like after a shutdown.

How do I fix windows from taking so long to boot up with this secondary mass storage drive connected?

I have run chkdsk and analyzed the drive for disk defragmentation which was 0% and there are no errors or anything that I can tell with that HDD.

I'm at a loss what to do here because I can't just run my system without that drive connected, and the reboot times are completely ridiculous and unacceptable.

:)

TonyMool, Dec 22, 2020
  2. cristi2k Win User

Windows 10 Restart takes 2 minutes

Windows 10 build 1709 , restart takes 2-3 minutes. Boot is instant , and shutdown is instant too , only when i try to restart it takes alot to shutdown. However , if i modifi registry to ClearPageFileAtShutdown 0 (1 originally ) and waittokillservicetimeout to 1000 from originally 50000 , it will instant reboot , but i do not want to use this setting. Where should i look ?

cristi2k, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Shutdown taking over 5 minutes

I have had this issue for a while but I took sometime to figure out what was causing it.

My Lenovo yoga 730 with a SSD is taking over 5 minutes to shutdown. I've tested several situations and I found about the issue with USB-C on Windows 10 1809. I have updated to 1909. In theory the issue should be resolved I'm the version 1903, but i still
    have the problem.

My windows shutdown pretty fast if I don't plug anything onto the USB-C ports (including the power cable). It takes over 5 minutes to shutdown when I connect anything to those ports. I also tried to turn the notebook on with the power cord connected. In
    this case, the behavior is somehow unpredictable, I've got some normal shutdowns and some delayed. If I unplug the cord before shut the notebook down, the delay occurs.

It seems something goes wrong when I plug or unplug anything to the USB-c ports.

How can I fix this problem?

WilsonCavenaghi, Dec 22, 2020
  4. Adalwar Win User

Windows taking 2+ minutes to boot up after a restart, but only 5 seconds after a shutdown.

Windows 10 takes 1 minute to boot

OK.
    It takes a long time to shut down because Windows is preparing the File for the next Cold Boot.
    In my case it takes about 18s (after Screen goes Black) to shut down.
    You can not expect a Short (cold) Boot time with Fast Boot disable. There is no "Miracles".

Adalwar, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows taking 2+ minutes to boot up after a restart, but only 5 seconds after a shutdown. - Similar Threads - taking minutes boot

2. PC shutdown after 5 minutes or so

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC shutdown after 5 minutes or so: After clicking shutdown button nothing happen on the computer. It will just freeze and you can cant click on anything. After couple of minutes 5 minutes is the minimum it will turn off or restart normally. If I shutdown the computer again it will do the same process. This...
  3. PC shutdown after 5 minutes or so

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC shutdown after 5 minutes or so: After clicking shutdown button nothing happen on the computer. It will just freeze and you can cant click on anything. After couple of minutes 5 minutes is the minimum it will turn off or restart normally. If I shutdown the computer again it will do the same process. This...
  4. PC shutdown after 5 minutes or so

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD after 5 minutes of boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after 5 minutes of boot: Hi My PC was working fine until yesterday. This morning I opened it up to clean out dust, like I usually do every few months. Since then, it take much longer to boot up, almost 4 to 5 minutes I can use the device for another 5 minutes but it is slow and then a blue screen...
  6. SSD takes a long time 5 minutes to boot after a shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD takes a long time 5 minutes to boot after a shutdown: This only applies if I use the shutdown button to forcibly turn the computer off. If I shut it down using the interface, it turns on quickly as usual....
  7. Restarting takes 5-10 minutes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restarting takes 5-10 minutes: For some reason restarting takes 5 to 10 minutes. I have a i7-6700k and GTX 1070. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this that would be great. As this is really annoying. submitted by /u/JackDeezy47 [link] [comments]...
  8. Shutdown taking over 5 minutes

Shutdown taking over 5 minutes: I have had this issue for a while but I took sometime to figure out what was causing it. My Lenovo yoga 730 with a SSD is taking over 5 minutes to shutdown. I've tested several situations and I found about the issue with USB-C on Windows 10 1809. I have updated to 1909. In...
  9. booting up takes 4-5 minutes

in Windows 10 Customization
    booting up takes 4-5 minutes: After installing windows 10 booting up takes at least 4-5 minutes which is frustrating. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-up-takes-4-5-minutes/c6e90396-8c19-442f-b455-15a3aa72d7d0
  10. Computer Freezes after 5 or minutes booting up

Computer Freezes after 5 or minutes booting up: My PC freezes after 5 minutes of being logged in. (Windows 10) However I can still move the mouse, click on things but nothing will happen I sometimes also get a "Microsoft windows is not responding' popup, I cant interact with that either I checked task manager and it...