Windows 10: Windows taking forever to open apps, even after clean install, new SSD

Discus and support Windows taking forever to open apps, even after clean install, new SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, Before I forget, my Windows Version Number is 2004 v 19041.329 I'm new here, and I joined mainly because my PC is acting extremely weird and I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SoulLimbo, Jun 18, 2020.

1. SoulLimbo Win User

Windows taking forever to open apps, even after clean install, new SSD

Hi,

Before I forget, my Windows Version Number is 2004 v 19041.329

I'm new here, and I joined mainly because my PC is acting extremely weird and I'm fresh out of options to make it better, short of getting a new one. So apologies in advance if this problem had already been posted. It does seem quite unique though.

It's an old PC (10 years or so), that I hadn't used regularly for a bit, but with the pandemic, I had to start working from home and it's pretty much my only option.

About a month ago, while noticing that it was quite slow, I ordered a new 1TB SSD that I cloned and installed without a hitch. At first, it was a lot better! Everything was running smoothly, Windows was booting fast, apps were running, A-OK.

After a week or so, I started noticing some slowdowns... kinda like it was before the SSD install. I then decided to re-install Windows 10, but to keep my files. Again, the same story, it was at the beginning: fast boot, everything running smoothly. I haven't even installed a lot of apps, only some browsers and AVG.

Now it's hit or miss, sometimes everything works fine, sometimes apps like Chrome or Skype take multiple minutes to open, and that's when they do open. More often than not, they just remain as not responding.

So very humbly, if you can help, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks,

:)

SoulLimbo, Jun 18, 2020
  2. SoulLimbo Win User

Hi,

Before I forget, my Windows Version Number is 2004 v 19041.329

I'm new here, and I joined mainly because my PC is acting extremely weird and I'm fresh out of options to make it better, short of getting a new one. So apologies in advance if this problem had already been posted. It does seem quite unique though.

It's an old PC (10 years or so), that I hadn't used regularly for a bit, but with the pandemic, I had to start working from home and it's pretty much my only option.

About a month ago, while noticing that it was quite slow, I ordered a new 1TB SSD that I cloned and installed without a hitch. At first, it was a lot better! Everything was running smoothly, Windows was booting fast, apps were running, A-OK.

After a week or so, I started noticing some slowdowns... kinda like it was before the SSD install. I then decided to re-install Windows 10, but to keep my files. Again, the same story, it was at the beginning: fast boot, everything running smoothly. I haven't even installed a lot of apps, only some browsers and AVG.

Now it's hit or miss, sometimes everything works fine, sometimes apps like Chrome or Skype take multiple minutes to open, and that's when they do open. More often than not, they just remain as not responding.

So very humbly, if you can help, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks,

SoulLimbo, Jun 19, 2020
  3. RejZoR Win User
    geforce experience takes an age to load..

Both, NVIDIA Control Panel and NVIDIA Experience take freaking forever to open and too load list of apps. Even on HDD+SSD hybrid combo. I doubt it's much different with pure SSD...

RejZoR, Jun 19, 2020
  4. Windows taking forever to open apps, even after clean install, new SSD

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows taking forever to open apps, even after clean install, new SSD - Similar Threads - taking forever open

2. Multiple BSoD even after installing new RAM, new SSD and a clean W10 install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSoD even after installing new RAM, new SSD and a clean W10 install: As it says in the title I have expericiencing this issues lately, but when I did the clean installlation offline everything works fine, it was when the last uptades where installed and some Drivers auto-updates, even the one that I installed form the Asus customer page that i...
  3. Multiple BSoD even after installing new RAM, new SSD and a clean W10 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple BSoD even after installing new RAM, new SSD and a clean W10 install: As it says in the title I have expericiencing this issues lately, but when I did the clean installlation offline everything works fine, it was when the last uptades where installed and some Drivers auto-updates, even the one that I installed form the Asus customer page that i...
  4. Multiple BSoD even after installing new RAM, new SSD and a clean W10 install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  6. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  7. Windows 10 clean install taking forever and excessive space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 clean install taking forever and excessive space: Hi everyone, My dad's hard drive recently crashed and he asked me to help him get a new hard drive and install Windows. He bought a 900 some gb hard drive and a USB install of windows 10 and has been trying to install it all night. The program keeps resetting his computer...
  8. Clean install to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install to new SSD: I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am just looking for a fresh new install on the new SSD so I can remove the old HDD. Any and all help is greatly appreciated....
  9. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  10. Clean install on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...